PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Watauga Lake

Spiritual Pillgrim
10-06-2005, 19:50
:clap After many years of small sections, mostly in New England and around Damascus, I am planning a BIG section hike (for me) beginning on or about Oct 22 from Springer to Watauga Lake. I plan on being out for about 40 days (including Town Days; I haven't planned any Zero days).
One of my main concerns is how have water sources been? It has been dry as a bone in my neck of the Sand Hills for about 6 weeks. Also, since this is late fall, is there anybody with knowledge of expected low temp ranges this far south on the AT? Lastly, I can't give up my Coleman Peak 1 for sentimental reasons (call me stubborn; it's a genetic thing:o ) so how hard or easy is it to buy white gas by the oz?
Thanks any and all

Dances with Mice
10-06-2005, 21:13
is there anybody with knowledge of expected low temp ranges this far south on the AT? Sounds like a great hike!

Scroll to the top of this page, right hand corner.
Click on "Information", pull down to "Weather".
Choose a location and click on it.
Scroll about halfway down the page to "Seasonal Weather Averages".
Check "Show Normals/Averages" and note that the check box is AFTER the choice, not in front of it.

Here's Hiawassee's: http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KGVL&StateCode=GA&SafeCityName=Hiawassee&Units=none&IATA=AND&normals=on

The Solemates
10-07-2005, 09:31
As always, weather is unpredictable, expecially in the South in the winter, so always prepare for the worst. Be prepared for the possibility of light snow and low-20s temps at night, but on average I would say temps would be around 60 during the day and hovering around freezing at night.

As far as white gas, there are plenty of places to get it. Neels Gap, which is right on the trail (3 days in or so) would be your first stop. Further possibilities northwards are perhaps Hiawassee (if you so chose), followed by Franklin, the NOC, Fontana Dam, Davenport/Standing Bear, Hot Springs, Erwin, and then youre at Watauga.

Why not extend your trip all the way to Damascus, which would be a great place to stop? There is more there than at Watauga lake, and it is only 2 days past Watauga. That way, you can grub and get a shower at the hostel there, and you'll get the trail town feel.

I did the section from Watauga to Damascus hiking into Trail Days this year and had a great time. For pictures, click on my photos link below and find the "Trail Days" album.

Sounds fun!

screwysquirrel
10-08-2005, 02:22
Soulmates
Did'nt I see you yellowblazing that year?

Spiritual Pillgrim
10-08-2005, 09:40
:sun Finding white gas is perhaps a bigger concern for me than the temps, but I really don't want to freeze my butt off, however I could afford to drop a few pounds there:eek:. Most of the places you mentioned for gas were places I have a stop planned. I did the stretch from 321 to Damascus last year, thats why I'm hopping off at 321. May spend a day or 2 at Kincora (did the watauga lake triathlon last weekend. grueling but awesome). Got to love Damascus. I've stayed at the MRO hostel and the Hiker Inn. Thanks for the Info. Taz

As always, weather is unpredictable, expecially in the South in the winter, so always prepare for the worst. Be prepared for the possibility of light snow and low-20s temps at night, but on average I would say temps would be around 60 during the day and hovering around freezing at night.

As far as white gas, there are plenty of places to get it. Neels Gap, which is right on the trail (3 days in or so) would be your first stop. Further possibilities northwards are perhaps Hiawassee (if you so chose), followed by Franklin, the NOC, Fontana Dam, Davenport/Standing Bear, Hot Springs, Erwin, and then youre at Watauga.

Why not extend your trip all the way to Damascus, which would be a great place to stop? There is more there than at Watauga lake, and it is only 2 days past Watauga. That way, you can grub and get a shower at the hostel there, and you'll get the trail town feel.

I did the section from Watauga to Damascus hiking into Trail Days this year and had a great time. For pictures, click on my photos link below and find the "Trail Days" album.

Sounds fun!

titeloops
10-08-2005, 17:50
I,m with the solemates push onto Damascus. I just finished hiking from Hot Springs to Pearisburg in Sept. When you get to watauga lake forget the shelter. When you get on the other side of the lake from the swimming area there's a big open spot in the pine trees with a bunch of fire rings.If you make camp there after it gets dark you get a great late night swim in the lake. When I came threw the creek by the shelter was dry. The next best place after watauga is double springs the water was running and right next to the shelter. Water after that was not to good. I would fill up when at double springs. The last place i got water was at a sistern on the trail. If your not careful you'll miss it. Your going to see a trail detour marked by some logs and ribbon after that the trail turns right and your going to come to a series of foot bridges. The sistern is is on the right in the middle of those bridges.its marked by a blue blaze just hard to see up in the bushes. Jeff and Tom at MRO are great, some of the niciest people iv'e met on the trail. Got to have lunch at dairy king and a cold corona at baja.

Titeloops

Bassline
10-08-2005, 17:58
As soon as I saw this thread and the "Watuga Lake Shelter" thing, I thought to myself umm...Damascus. It is quite the place. If it were me, I would hike into Damascus, but that is because I have such close ties to Damascus. For you though, do whatever it is that you do, and make sure you enjoy your hike. At the same time though, if you go into Damascus, be sure to eat one of those glorious Burrito's at the Baja Burrito place. This may sound like Blasphemy, but I would take it over an Erwin Burrito any day. Good stuff!!! It is all good.

Bassline

The Solemates
10-10-2005, 15:44
Soulmates
Did'nt I see you yellowblazing that year?

After my hike (and Trail Days) was over, I yellow-blazed back to my car, which I had parked in Elizabethton. I caught a ride with some guys from the TN Eastman Hiking Club. So yea, maybe you saw me..

did i see you?