PDA

View Full Version : Blister Prevention: Toe Socks Question

AO2134
07-31-2014, 14:29
Hey all.

Has anyone had any success with toe socks and blister prevention between toes.

Products I was looking at include:

http://www.rei.com/product/849178/injinji-run-20-lightweight-no-show-socks

I developed a blister between my toes and I am trying desperately to minimize blisters, bruising while hiking.

I used merino wool liner sock + merino wool lightweight hiking sock. I developed a blister between 2 of my toes on my right foot, a pretty bad heel bruise on outside of right foot, a minor toe bruise on right big toe, and a decent sized, but not really painful blister on inside portion of left heel.

What do you think about having toe socks under REI merino wool liner under REI merino light hiking sock. Good idea? Bad idea? Anyone use the Injinji socks?

Thanks All!

Riocielo
07-31-2014, 14:46
I wear toe socks every day on our walks. When I first started walking in January, I developed horrible blisters on my toes and the balls of my feet (wrong shoes for walking a lot of miles.)

First I used some gel-lined socks to help my feet heal. Now I wear some Injinji toe socks. My little toe on my right foot is a hammer toe and the toe socks help keep it in proper alignment.

Mobius
07-31-2014, 14:55
I often wear injinji liner socks. I usually use Body Glide on my feet, in between my toes, etc. before any long (20+ mile) days as well.

Also consider that your shoes may be partially at fault. Given the multitude of issues you are having I'd reassess the entire foot wear system.

I've yet to find an ideal pair of shoes :/

Sandy of PA
07-31-2014, 21:22
I discovered Injinji toe socks 4 years ago and they are what I wear everyday. 1812 AT trail miles and no blisters! For hiking I use the original weight Coolmax crew or the performance mini-crew.

Elder
07-31-2014, 23:38
You are in Gwinnett? Plan a trip up to Mountain Crossings at Neel gap. They have the most experience dealing with hikers and shoes.
To socks as liners can work. Three layers, not good.
It also sounds like a fit issue, or maybe an insole would stop the excess motion.
Take your current boots/shoes.

None yet
08-04-2014, 21:20
I wore Injinji as a liner with Darn Tough until it got warmer. I've have never had blisters or hot spots from either.

squeezebox
08-04-2014, 21:24
I was thinking about the wool felt that dancers use to wrap their toes with.

Kerosene
08-05-2014, 09:45
I've used Injinji toe socks to successfully prevent toe blisters. However, I also found them to make my feet overly warm and they are much tougher to dry out than typical liner socks.

Another option to consider: Toe caps of one sort. I've used these (http://www.amazon.com/Pedifix-Visco-gel-Toe-Protector-Count/dp/B0002DUSXY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1407246218&sr=8-7&keywords=toe+cap) for week-long section hikes, but if you go to Amazon.com and search for "toe caps" there are numerous options. They are a bit more flexible than toe socks and work best for me.

jbwood5
08-05-2014, 10:01
I used them on last years hike and they work good for preventing blisters. I found them to be a nuisance putting them on when the socks or my feet are wet (soaking swimming or just wet soacks in the morning). This year I had good fitting Brooks ASR trail shoes that were Gortex lined and I used Dry Max socks. I never had a blister.

MuddyWaters
08-05-2014, 21:39
The way to prevent blisters between toes is to use shoes and socks with roomy toebox that dont squeeze toes together, and keep them clean, ie no dirt between toes. But, the injinji may help too.

Seatbelt
08-06-2014, 08:09
The way to prevent blisters between toes is to use shoes and socks with roomy toebox that dont squeeze toes together, and keep them clean, ie no dirt between toes. But, the injinji may help too.

I agree with this and would add that I usually wrap a few toes with medical tape before putting on socks. I also have used the toe socks with success. But it helps very much to have a shoe/boot that does not squeeze your toes together on downhills.

quasarr
08-08-2014, 18:30
I have found that toe socks do a pretty good job of preventing blisters between your toes. But I eventually got so sick of the extra time for taking them on and off that I got rid of them. Luckily my feet were toughened up by that point, so normal socks were fine.

78owl
08-08-2014, 19:25
I agree about shoe issue, but a simple solution is to place a small amount of Vaseline between toes. I always carry a small tube.

bus
08-08-2014, 21:25
I too will throw a vote out for toesocks as a liner.
my feet are duck-feet shaped and a wide toebox helped too. Found som eboot sthat fit my feet very well, but before that, the toesocks saved my feet from blisters