PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of trails around Florence or Myrtle Beach, SC?

Ricky&Jack
07-31-2014, 15:05
My brother is a truck driver and he is stuck in a motel for about 9 days while his truck is fixed. So tomorrow morning me and my sister will be making the 7hour drive from Chattanooga to Florence, SC to spend the weekend with him.

I will most likely get bored in the motel, so I was wondering if it was worth bringing my day pack to hit some local trails.
Florence is 61miles from Myrtle Beach, but I'm not a beach person.

I see it may rain this weekend, but that doesn't scare me.

If anyone knows of any trails within an hour of Florence that I should look up, please let me know.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b607/Ricky_Sanftner/ScreenShot2014-07-31at25735PM_zps8a1fd4e3.png (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/Ricky_Sanftner/media/ScreenShot2014-07-31at25735PM_zps8a1fd4e3.png.html)

Who knows.. i may just hit up a theatre and watch 'Guardians of the Galaxy' a few times.

johnnybgood
07-31-2014, 16:53
Went to Congaree National Park last spring just SE of Columbia. They have one longer trail that weaves around the low land swamp that would be a day hike.

Just remember to bring lots of skeeter repellent . I really wouldn't recommend it for this time of year, but call ahead of time to see what conditions are like.

Ricky&Jack
07-31-2014, 16:59
someone on Facebook recommended "Palmetto trail". That's about 55miles from Florence.

johnnybgood
07-31-2014, 17:02
someone on Facebook recommended "Palmetto trail". That's about 55miles from Florence.

That was the other trail that I had heard about but never hiked. Sounds like you're set then.

Traveler
08-02-2014, 07:17
I use Trails.com to find local trails. Theres a subscription fee, for local, regional, or national trail summaries and maps depending what you want. Its a lot easier than purchasing local trail books and a heck of a lot cheaper if you travel around a lot.

Kraken Skullz
08-02-2014, 09:41
There is a trail at Lee State Park that is really good. Hunting Beach has a nice trail setup where you can camp. Huntington Beach State park is in Murrells Inlet which is just south of Myrtle Beach.

Kraken Skullz
08-02-2014, 09:43
The Palmetto Trail doesn't go through that area of the state unfortunately. It runs from Charleston to Oconee through Columbia.

Dogwood
08-02-2014, 13:57
R&J, I find myself in your situation often being faced with last minute planning for an impromptu hiking opportunity. Water under the bridge for your past situation but for the future R&J if you can make a post to WB that also includes a map you certainly can do a quick search on Google typing in South Carolina Hiking Trails. You'll come up with http://www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAILS/hiking/Hiking.html It will give you several possibilities given your criteria. The other thing you should consider is obtaining some general state hiking books for your region. Even if for some reason you can't or don't want to purchase these books you could search for them at a library. Two hiking books I have for the entire state of S. Car are 50 Hikes In South Carolina by Johnny Molloy( he write several good hiking books!) and Hiking South Carolina by John Clark and John Dantzler - A Falcon Guide Book :)

Kraken Skullz
08-02-2014, 15:56
Feel free to PM me the next time you are in he area. I am working my way up the Palmetto Trail and was a boy scout in the Pee Dee area, so I am very familiar with that area of the state.