PDA

View Full Version : Don't Melt Your Jetboil Measuring Cup

Larry J
07-31-2014, 22:27
It's very easy to do with a Jetboil provided you're sleep deprived and inexperienced using it in the field. I bought a jetboil several years ago. Tested it out in the house a number of times. Bought a pot stabilizer for it and packed it away. Went to use it for the first time the in the field the other morning after getting absolutely no sleep. Opened up the cup, removed the pot stabilizer and placed it on the burner. The I placed the cup with it's plastic skirt/cup right on top. I wondered why it was taking so long to boil the small amount of water for my oatmeal until I saw flames and melting plastic. I hope I don't mae that mistake again. I won't be packing the pot stabilizer in the cup any longer.
A more idiot-proof design would be a metal measuring cup.

rocketsocks
07-31-2014, 22:35
It's very easy to do with a Jetboil provided you're sleep deprived and inexperienced using it in the field. I bought a jetboil several years ago. Tested it out in the house a number of times. Bought a pot stabilizer for it and packed it away. Went to use it for the first time the in the field the other morning after getting absolutely no sleep. Opened up the cup, removed the pot stabilizer and placed it on the burner. The I placed the cup with it's plastic skirt/cup right on top. I wondered why it was taking so long to boil the small amount of water for my oatmeal until I saw flames and melting plastic. I hope I don't mae that mistake again. I won't be packing the pot stabilizer in the cup any longer.
A more idiot-proof design would be a metal measuring cup.

Larry, what a great first post...I'd suggest things can only go up for you from here. :D

:welcometo white blaze. :)

hilltackler
08-01-2014, 08:03
The good thing is...you'll never do that again. We all do stupid stuff and I'm glad you shared it...it's all good:)
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

canoe
08-01-2014, 09:35
If you call jetboil they will send you another cup...How do I know... I did the same thing on my first overnight even after doing some practice cooks on short hikes. There were some thru hikers at the shelter looking at the stove. They were very polite and did not laugh or joke. It was embarrassing when the plastic cup was melting away

canoe
08-01-2014, 09:38
Oh... by the way I no longer use the jetboil...to heavy. I use a pocket rocket. Both are good stoves.

Sarcasm the elf
08-01-2014, 10:31
I solved that problem by promptly misplacing the plastic measuring cup. It really wasn't much of a loss.

HooKooDooKu
08-01-2014, 10:48
Oh... by the way I no longer use the jetboil...to heavy. I use a pocket rocket. Both are good stoves.
The pocket rocket gets beaten up in reviews for being unstable. When I tried one out, it felt like the pot could easily be knocked off accidentally.
A similar stove that feels more stable to me is the SnowPeak LiteMax. The dimensions in operation are similar to the pocket rocket. So I can only assume the reason it feels more stable is that the pot supports lay flat. By comparison, the pot supports on the pocket rocket do not lay flat and the pot rests on just three small points. But what's really great about the LiteMax is how small it folds. So anyone considering spending the $40 on a pocket rocket, I would suggest looking at adding another $20 and get the LiteMax.

Larry J
08-01-2014, 13:08
If you call jetboil they will send you another cup...How do I know... I did the same thing on my first overnight even after doing some practice cooks on short hikes. There were some thru hikers at the shelter looking at the stove. They were very polite and did not laugh or joke. It was embarrassing when the plastic cup was melting away

It's good to know that I'm not alone.
I ordered a new one before writing this thread. Just $10 with shipping.

Astro
08-02-2014, 16:00
I solved that problem by promptly misplacing the plastic measuring cup. It really wasn't much of a loss.

I had mine for at least a year before I realized it was a measuring cup. I originally thought it was just some plastic to protect the coils at the bottom of the stove.

Dedicated Hanger
08-03-2014, 10:49
LarryJ, glad that there was no real harm done. My wife and I were out on a week long trip last week and we experienced fuel boil over twice from our Trangia alcohol stove. Yes, it took us twice since we are not so bright as to pay attention to the clues the first time. As with any kid of stove (and I mean any kind), one has to pay careful attention to heat build up in the fuel container area. Placing large pans on top of alcohol stoves for longer than ten minutes is an example of not paying attention to this detail that can lead to an incident. No one was hurt in both of ours but please do not be as dense as we were with your stove set ups.

canoe
08-03-2014, 19:14
I had mine for at least a year before I realized it was a measuring cup. I originally thought it was just some plastic to protect the coils at the bottom of the stove. Its use is probably both

bcok
08-03-2014, 21:10
Mine is cracked. I put some gorilla tape around it but need to order a new one. Had it a couple of years and just learned that out is a measuring cup!

bigcranky
08-03-2014, 21:14
Measuring cup? But there are markings inside the pot! Hmmm, will have to check that. We've used it as a small bowl to share a meal, but on a recent month long hike I never used the cup once - we just passed the Jetboil pot back and forth.

Larry J
08-03-2014, 22:22
I've never used it as a measuring cup, but had to give it a name to distinguish from the main drinking cup. Otherwise no one would understand what I was talking about. It's got division markings on it, so in my mind, that makes it a measuring cup.

bigcranky
08-04-2014, 13:42
I've never used it as a measuring cup, but had to give it a name to distinguish from the main drinking cup. Otherwise no one would understand what I was talking about. It's got division markings on it, so in my mind, that makes it a measuring cup.

Oh, sure, makes sense to me. I saw one guy using it as his tea cup for hot tea, while he made dinner. I can see several uses for it, just on our hike we didn't use it once. My wife carried a plastic double wall mug with a lid, so we'd make coffee or tea in that, then make dinner in the main Jetboil pot.

RabbitHole
08-04-2014, 17:54
The first time I ever used a jetboil I melted all the plastic on stove casing and cup. Put oatmeal in the non heated water turned it on and walked away for five minutes. In those five minutes I melted the cup holder and plastic on stove so cup would not come off. I learned the hard way how fast these things heat up. Exchanged it for a new one no problems since but I learned the hard way.

Larry J
08-09-2014, 08:54
Got my new "measuring" cup in the mail yesterday. It's thinner and flimsier than the original. It also doesn't have g

Larry J
08-09-2014, 08:55
raduation marks.