PDA

View Full Version : company for Feb2015 start

hikehunter
08-02-2014, 00:16
The current plan is to start Feb 19th 2015. Looking for person or persons to walk the trail for the first part of the trail.
I may skip the GSMNP, as I have done over half the trails in the park and all but 12 miles of the AT thru the park. I am thinking of doing the JM in the southern part of the park to avoid the high chance of snow and fees. I would pick the AT back up on the east end of the park and on to Hot Springs, Roan Mtn., etc. I am a hiker that takes it one day at a time. I am hiking to see the flora/fona, and to enjoy people, places and things that make America great. When it comes time to walk I walk, maybe not as fast as most. When in camp I want to take time to make good food, rest, enjoy where I am and maybe have some peaceful talks with other hikers. I want to leave the stone and metal daily life of the trail. ( I hate going on a hike and hearing a hiker talk about the city life and the daily grind in "the world"). I want to talk about what I saw that day on the hike, what I saw on a past hike, how my equipment worked and what I can do to make it better.
If you think you might get started this early....welcome and let me know.:sun

meat803
08-12-2014, 13:04
I am starting with the Pinhoti early Feb. Any interest in joining me for part or the whole way? Want to finish Pinhoti by March 5th to take a couple zero's for my son's birthday.I'm 37 living in GA, native Texan as well. Being a local, I can get us to trail head and such.

Gunner1776
08-13-2014, 10:09
I am starting with the Pinhoti early Feb. Any interest in joining me for part or the whole way? Want to finish Pinhoti by March 5th to take a couple zero's for my son's birthday.I'm 37 living in GA, native Texan as well. Being a local, I can get us to trail head and such.

What is pinhoti?

meat803
08-13-2014, 11:15
From the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association website:

"The original plan for the Appalachian Trail was laid out in 1925 at the first Appalachian Trail Conference. This plan showed a main trail running from Cohutta Mountain in north Georgia to Mount Washington in New Hampshire. This plan also proposed a spur trail from Mt. Washington to Mount Katahdin in Maine and one from the Georgia Mountains into Northern Alabama. The spur in Maine was completed in 1940."

One day when the Pinhoti gets added, I will have already of done it as a whole with the AT.

fastrr
08-17-2014, 06:20
I have been thinking about a mid February start myself.