PDA

View Full Version : Food For Health

dangerdave
08-02-2014, 19:36
I was strolling through the Amazon hiker food section---yea, I still got a lot of time to waste before Spring---when I tripped over one of these: http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Food-For-Health-International-Food-Supply-200-Servings.html?osCsid=qrsb06chqukc454tq90bm8p706&CAWELAID=120139480000005606

Has anyone had experience with this product, and do you veteran hikers think these would make the basis for a good food system?

I'm a rookie, here. I don't know!

dangerdave
08-02-2014, 19:44
They are about $2.50 per pouch, with lots of carbs. Add some protein and blam! Dinner!

Or is this just a bucket full of Lipton-like products packaged under a different name? :-?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-02-2014, 20:44
They are about $2.50 per pouch, with lots of carbs. Add some protein and blam! Dinner!

Or is this just a bucket full of Lipton-like products packaged under a different name? :-?

I couldn't find anyplace that they actually showed an ingredient label, only the nutritional breakdown.

I have been looking at the Knorr products, like the rice and pasta sides. Not all organic or anything but they don't use artificial flavors and it looks like they use natural food colorings. To compare to their cheesy broccoli rice, Knorr's product is higher in overall calories, higher in carbs, lower in sodium and cost $1 for a 2 serving packet at Walmart. Took some on my last overnighter. Fixed it right in it's pouch. Took about 15 minutes after I added boiling water for it to be where I liked it. It tasted just fine to me and I had a hard time eating it all because it filled me up.

Would be interested to know if someone finds the actual ingredients lists for the product you have in mind though.

Sarcasm the elf
08-02-2014, 20:58
I was strolling through the Amazon hiker food section---yea, I still got a lot of time to waste before Spring---when I tripped over one of these: http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Food-For-Health-International-Food-Supply-200-Servings.html?osCsid=qrsb06chqukc454tq90bm8p706&CAWELAID=120139480000005606

Has anyone had experience with this product, and do you veteran hikers think these would make the basis for a good food system?

I'm a rookie, here. I don't know!

Just note that according to their nutritional data their serving size seems to only have between 60 and 170 calories each, so you will have to expect that you will eat a lot more than one serving per meal. To put it in perspective, people on this site usually estimate that long distance hikers burn roughly anywhere between 4,000 to 8,000 calories a day.