PDA

View Full Version : Storing Dehydrated Food

frieden
10-06-2005, 21:28
I'm new to dehydrating. I was going to get a food vacuum sealer, and put the dehydrated meals in the sealed bags. In Jardine's book, he suggests to carry the dehydrated meals in paper bags, so you can burn the bags, and eliminate packing out the trash. I don't plan on using a campfire, unless in an emergency, but I guess paper bags would be lighter to pack in, and out. Will the dehydrated food keep ok in paper bags, in a humid environment like the AT (especially the southern part)?

Blue Jay
10-06-2005, 23:08
I'm new to dehydrating. I was going to get a food vacuum sealer, and put the dehydrated meals in the sealed bags. In Jardine's book, he suggests to carry the dehydrated meals in paper bags, so you can burn the bags, and eliminate packing out the trash. I don't plan on using a campfire, unless in an emergency, but I guess paper bags would be lighter to pack in, and out. Will the dehydrated food keep ok in paper bags, in a humid environment like the AT (especially the southern part)?

No, but the mice will build a statue in your honor.

Seeker
10-06-2005, 23:15
most plastic bags are WAY lighter than paper. that's one of the reasons they're so popular. use it, pack it out. it's not that heavy, even 4 days worth.

CynJ
10-06-2005, 23:31
this is an awesome reference for preserving food at home http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
Lots of great tips and things. :cool:

sarbar
10-06-2005, 23:45
Haunt thrift stores, many times you can get a deal on Foodvac's....otherwise I saw that Walmart is making a cheapy version now.

Paper sacks would defintely cause some issues for falling apart. Long term storage? Freezer bags tightly rolled up, or Foodvac bags/containers.

frieden
10-07-2005, 22:14
Thanks! Although, a statue in my honor would be nice. ;D