PDA

View Full Version : What's your sleep system and start date?

Cassafras
08-03-2014, 20:58
I don't have any overnight backpacking experience, just a lot of day hiking and campground camping. I am planning to start my thru sometime between mid-March and the 1st of April, but I am concerned that my sleep system won't be sufficient. I have a 20* Hammock Gear quilt with 2 oz overfill, a neoair xtherm pad, and will be getting a liner (but I'm not sure which one to get?). I also have down booties, and will be sleeping in a midweight base layer. I will be testing it out when colder weather arrives, but I am hoping to be able to use the quilt I already have. I don't sleep well in mummy bags, because I move a lot from my side to my stomach and I get twisted up and frustrated. I am hoping the high R-value of the xtherm will help to keep me warm even though there can be a draft issue with quilts.

What does your sleep system look like and what is your start date? Are you a cold or warm sleeper? Do you prefer a bag or a quilt?

bigcranky
08-03-2014, 21:18
My wife has the X Therm and it's pretty warm if it keeps her warm. A 20 F rated quilt should be okay, but I would bring a hooded down parka to use with the quilt on colder nights. That's my summer sleep system with a 45F quilt and a very light down parka, and it works well.

If you have a quilt, and hate being cooped up, not sure a liner will help much. A down parka, down booties, and a good hat will add a lot of warmth to your quilt.

For late March I have an overstuffed Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a wide mummy bag normally rated to 30F but this one has 2 extra oz of down. The wider mummy is more comfortable, and of course I have my down jacket and booties.

Being in Maine will give you plenty of opportunity to test your sleeping system this winter :)

Dogwood
08-03-2014, 21:36
And, your shelter? Sleeping in most AT shelters and enclosed tents(add about 8-10 *) will add warmth to you sleep system and by also including a liner you will do the same(and reduce drafts).

For you mid Mar start date I will not guarantee it but I'd say the odds of encountering single digit nights is very likely. You'll likely encounter ice, sleet, wind, and possibly some snow too making it seem colder at times at night than those single digit temps.

I have upwards of 120 trail nights on my 20* down quilt most often under a cat tarp pitched A-frame style and while cowboy camping. I sleep neutral but extremities, particularly hands and feet, are cold susceptible since I've experienced frost nip in those areas previously. Even while adding a MLD Superlight bivy(adds about 6* warmth) and/or Cocoon mummy silk liner(adds about 4* warmth) and/or Goosefeet Down Socks I prefer sleeping in a Feathered Friends 20* Swallow UL, especially under a cat tarp or cowboy camping set up when temps are regularly dipping into the 20's although if sheltering in a fully enclosable tent I would consider quilt use in these temps. I'm a side sleeper tossing from side to side all night. I lose the thermal efficiency, so called warmth to wt advantages of a quilt, and sleep fitfully in temps that dip into 20's because of quilt drafts and a few other factors. I only currently own one 20* quilt but have slept in several different other UL cottage industry manufacturers quilts in various set-ups. I usually save the quilts for ground sleeping in temps at or above freezing or when not regularly dipping below the mid 20*'s, bottom quilts/TQs in hammock set-ups, inside fully enclosed shelters, or in combination with another sleeping bag/quilt.

Cassafras
08-03-2014, 21:39
Thanks Big Cranky. You're right about the liner. I should just invest the weight into a warmer hooded parka instead. I'm certainly not wishing the cold weather to arrive any sooner than it has to, but I am looking forward to doing some fall overnights to test my gear :)

Cassafras
08-03-2014, 21:53
Dogwood, I just purchased a TT Notch. It does pitch all the way to the ground if need be for windy/wet weather. But considering the weather concerns, it seems that I might be better off starting nearer the 1st of April, unless I sell my quilt and buy a warmer bag/quilt.

Dogwood
08-04-2014, 00:23
That's your call and it's your hike. I'm just telling you about my situation and my thoughts based on how I sleep, set-up, etc. in hopes that maybe it will help to decide what's appropriate for you.

Your pt is well taken about your shelter. It will be warmer than the shelters I have used with my 20* quilt.

Cassafras
08-04-2014, 11:43
Thanks for all of the insight! I am trying to glean all of the wisdom I can from folks who have real life experience, and this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Wülfgang
08-04-2014, 12:15
I second Dogwood's advice.

Shelter and sleep choices depend on whether you plan to use shelters primarily, or camp in the woods like a real backpacker ;).

Tarps can be drafty, and in a downpour they need to be pitched perfectly. They are obviously the lightest shelter option hence their popularity.

Hammocks are unrivaled in sleep comfort (for most), but they are a more complex set-up and certainly don't save you any weight compared to an UL tent or tarp.

A fully enclosed tent is probably the warmest and most weather-resistant option, and there are many models from cottage brands that weigh in under 2 lbs.

Personally I don't know why people mess with quilts for anything other than a 1-3 night outing where weather can be reasonably predicted. Yes you save a few ounces compared to a mummy bag but, IMHO, it is not worth it. Just get a high-quality lightweight down mummy that will handle temps down to 20* F, and maybe a silk liner for hot and muggy nights in the mid-Atlantic and added warmth on that rare sub-20* night.

Gambit McCrae
08-04-2014, 15:09
eXPED SYNMAT, MONTBELL DOWN SUPER SPIRAL 900

Old_Man
08-04-2014, 22:34
Hi Cassafrass, I'm planning a thru for 2015 too though I haven't settled on a start date yet. I'm thinking probably around the first of April though, give or take a week or two. I'm planning on alternating between a tent and hammock set-up for warm and cold weather.

I'm going to start out with my Eureka Solitaire, a 20* synthetic bag, sleeping pad (haven't purchased this yet but looking into an ebay-special-therma-rest), and warm clothes (synthetic base-layer, fleece jacket, windbreaker, beanie, smart wool socks)

As the weather warms, I will send my tent home and have my hammock sent to me. I have a Hennessey Hammock Expedition Asym which I've been slowly modifying over several years. I'm looking into DIY rain fly and under quilt options to try and save money.

mattjv89
08-04-2014, 23:38
I'm starting first week of March, will be carrying a Marmot Lithium 0* and a Neoair Xtherm. I don't plan on being cold, I've used that bag with a few additional layers to -15* and I'm sleeping warm and cozy in my underwear by about 25*. It may get a little toasty when I get close to swapping it out for the summer bag but I'd personally rather be hot than freezing. I'm not really sure whether I qualify as a warm or cold sleeper but I've found Marmot's advertised rating reasonably accurate to my needs, for whatever that's worth. I prefer a bag especially for colder temperatures, I'm what you might refer to as an "active" sleeper, never actually tried a quilt but it seems like it would be a disaster for me if I go to bed on my back and wake up on my stomach..

Farren
08-05-2014, 08:48
Im starting hopefully sometime in March. Ive got a big agnes hog park sleeping bag, kelty three season tent, and a LW exped down sleeping mat which is suppose to be more comfortable than a neo air. I roll around so much that my bed inches off the box springs so I decided get larger sized equipment so I can roll around.

Cassafras
08-07-2014, 21:59
Now I'm looking at Zpacks sleeping bags. They are kind of like a quilt/bag combo. It could give me the roominess I need, and the security of being able to zip up if it is really cold. Hmmmm....

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:28
Tarp Tent more than likely, 20 degree bag? Not sure on the pad either. Definitely going to be tenting...mice in shelters give me the creeps...lol....Start date is January 1st.

Studlintsean
08-10-2014, 17:47
Tarp Tent more than likely, 20 degree bag? Not sure on the pad either. Definitely going to be tenting...mice in shelters give me the creeps...lol....Start date is January 1st.

While I have never hiked in GA mountains in GA, I would recommend a warmer sleeping bag.

Gunner1776
08-10-2014, 17:51
While I have never hiked in GA mountains in GA, I would recommend a warmer sleeping bag.

Thank you sir.

jimmyjam
08-10-2014, 20:34
EE Rev X 25*, neo air X lite regular, silk liner if I need it, heated water bottle if needed, chemical foot warmer if needed, wool watch cap, in my tarp. Mid Aprilish.

jimmyjam
08-10-2014, 21:03

hikehunter
08-11-2014, 20:57
DIY hammock/down under quilt/down&silk top quilt. Winterbox Tarp. sleeps very well at 10*.
Planned start: Feb. 19th.:-?

Caddywhompus
08-14-2014, 19:54
I'm leaning towards a hammock setup for my thru. After reading several trail journals and seeing what a hassle finding decent tent sites seems to be it seemed like a logical decision. I got a 20* UQ and a 20* bag that should keep me warm for a early to mid March start. For me comfort outweigh weight every time. A couple extra pounds to have a system that'll keep you warm and help you sleep comfortably is so worth it. I've seen people fuss over pounds only to end up carrying an extra 2 liters because they didnt reference there guide. Find other places to skimp on weight. Make sure you have a system thatll keep you warm no matter what.

overthinker
08-21-2014, 11:51
April 1st-ish. Sleeping in a Dreamhammock Thunderbird 11 footer, under a 12 foot HG cuben tarp with door flaps. Insulation is a HG 20* Burrow, with an Underquilts.com Foyle that has about 10 ounces of 850 fill. I'll also have a Mountain Hardwear Nitrous jacket, some sort of midweight thermals, and my other clothes with me. I've also got an Exped Synmat waiting in the wings in case I decide I want that for specific sections - the Whites, in particular.

One thing I've done recently to combat cold head syndrome while quilt sleeping is adding a fleece hood to my overall clothing system. I've taken to wearing this instead of a warm hat even, unless it is really cold and both are required.

If the weather is really piss cold, I might pick up a Nalgene at Walasi-Yi to have a hot water bottle to sleep with. I'm hoping that sleeping in all my clothes with all that down will keep me warm enough, though - and there's always crunches and push-ups to give me a boost when needed.

hazmat
08-25-2014, 17:37
Leaving Mar 17th (B-day/St. Patricks day) will be using Sierra Designs backcountry bed rated for 15F on top of Thermarest ProLite pad. Plan on changing over to a lighter 40F bag in VA probably.

10-K
08-25-2014, 18:00
Dogwood, I just purchased a TT Notch. It does pitch all the way to the ground if need be for windy/wet weather. But considering the weather concerns, it seems that I might be better off starting nearer the 1st of April, unless I sell my quilt and buy a warmer bag/quilt.

Even better, the first week of May. You'd still have 5+ months to finish.

Seriously - I'm not sure why May isn't when most people start if that's an option - I've never been able to figure that out. You can carry a lighter pack sans a bunch of winter gear which means you can go farther with less effort, you'd miss the majority of the days-on-end rain that usually happens in April, and you have more daylight from the start. And get to New England *after* the mud dries a bit.

Sanna
08-25-2014, 21:29
I'm leaving end of Feb.... Knowing I will have many cold nights on the trail, I did several test nights outside in the snow and 20 degree weather this past winter working the kinks of my sleep system out... But this is the combo that has worked best for me:
Fly Creek UL1 Tent
Sea to Summit Talus II Down Sleeping Bag (it's rated for 15 degrees)
Big Agnes Q-Core SL Sleeping Pad (R-Value of 4.5)
Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme Sleeping Bag Liner
Goosefeet Gear Down Socks
I sleep in Patagonia Capilene 3 Tops and bottoms, then add a beanie that goes over my ears for extra warmth.

Best bet..... Go spend some cold nights this winter testing different combos of gear to find what works best for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astro
08-25-2014, 23:41
Even better, the first week of May. You'd still have 5+ months to finish.

Seriously - I'm not sure why May isn't when most people start if that's an option - I've never been able to figure that out. You can carry a lighter pack sans a bunch of winter gear which means you can go farther with less effort, you'd miss the majority of the days-on-end rain that usually happens in April, and you have more daylight from the start. And get to New England *after* the mud dries a bit.

10-K,
When does the New England mud dry out?

jjozgrunt
08-27-2014, 09:25
I'll be starting 13th Mar - ZPacks 20F Quilt with a full zip so if I need to I can use it like a sleeping bag with a silk liner. Exped Syn UL7 and a ZPacks Heximid Solo+ with screen and floor. I have no experience with snow as where I live, if it gets down to 7C/45F in the depths of winter it's the coming of a new ice age. I'm doing the Aussie Alpine Track this Nov just for some experience and to check out my system.

KillerKarma
08-31-2014, 12:19
Starting mid-late March. Just got my tent and sleeping bag yesterday. I went with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 (which I saved $100 on, woo hoo!) and a Marmot Sunset 30. I nearly bought a sleeping pad but decided to wait since there are two REI garage sales coming up near me.

SteelCut
08-31-2014, 16:20
Hammock w/ Western Mountaineering Summerlite (32*) with a Jacks-R-Better Greylock 3 under quilt (20-25*). I'm considering switching out the Summerlite with the ZPacks 30* bag.

Originally planned a SOBO but career situation is looking like a mid-to-late April NOBO might be better timing and that is what I'm now planning for.

kayak karl
08-31-2014, 16:45
10-K,
i think it just freezes ;)

rocketsocks
08-31-2014, 18:10
10-K,

i think it just freezes ;)

I like Bill Bryson's thoughts on Winter in Vermont.

...9 months of Winter and 3 months of poor sledding.

krawler
09-09-2014, 23:06
I am starting March 15th, I am going with the North Face Mica tent, Intermediate cold weather military bag (-10), Military sleeping pad, base layer under armour cold gear. I have tried hammocks on several occasions, lots more places to set them up, but I like keeping my a** on the ground. Best of luck to you all on your hike, hope to see and meet some of you.

Speakeasy TN
09-14-2014, 09:25
Hennessy Deep Jungle with 25 degree Arrowhead Equipment Top and Underquilts. I'd like to start March 17 again but weather dependent since I live so close to Amicalola. I'm not against going to April Fool's bash in Franklin and then starting.

Del Q
09-14-2014, 20:38
READ BELOW

My 4 cents. I could never see depending on a tarp only, with the super light weight tents available, bug free, enclosed, to me tarps are not a viable option. Would rather carry the extra X ounces

As for warmth, I question how many layers I should sleep in. Use a 25 degree Mont Bell bag, to me they are all misleading............no way this bag alone with no clothes would keep me warm in 25 degree weather. What I wear if really cold, the driest socks I have, long underwear, 2 layers up top, balaclava, gloves. I have a Western Mountaineering liner.............tried it on top of me vs in it and it seemed to work well.

AN INTERESTING OPTION

A NOBO hiker I ran into last spring went with a 30 degree, light bag AND down socks, down pants and an ultralight down jacket, gloves, hat, etc.

Weight wise it made sense, said that he has never been cold, plan was to ship this stuff home from VA when the weather changed.

pattiwp
09-19-2014, 14:12
Starting around March 23 with my SO. Still futzing with gear. Currently we have an REI Quarterdome 2 which is awesome. I have an Exped Basic Synmat 7.5 with an R value of 4.0 (at 1 lb 9 oz considering swapping for something a little lighter) and a Big Agnes Lithia Springs 15* down bag. I had a Kelty Womens Ignite 20 but it wasn't warm enough or quite long enough. Even though the rating is 20*, the comfort rating for women is only 28* and I was cold in PA in June so switched to the warmer Lithia Springs. I LOVE that bag, only it's heavy with something like 30 oz of down (3 lb) so I'm still looking. Tried the Mountain Hardwear Phantasia (both the 15* and the 0* but they had flimsy #3 YKK zippers and weren't wide enough through the hips. Also tried the Feathered Friends Petrel 10, which had a awesome body but the hood was crappy and to collar too wide and I couldn't keep out drafts down my back (side sleeper). My partner currently has a Big Agnes Air Core mat, which is very comfortable but has little R value. He likes it though. His current bag is the Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain 15 which he thinks he'll be happy with. We have not taken these current bags out for a spin yet. I also have a thermarest sol which I plan to cut in half to use for sit-upons and extra warmth under the torso when its really cold. We got that advice from some thru-hikers we met this summer.

I would still like to try some WM and Mont Bell bags before I settle on the final sleep systems. They're both lighter but I'm having some issue with the WM not offering women-cut bags (ie wider through the hips) in a size for taller women. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I sleep COLD!

overthinker
09-22-2014, 11:30
AN INTERESTING OPTION

A NOBO hiker I ran into last spring went with a 30 degree, light bag AND down socks, down pants and an ultralight down jacket, gloves, hat, etc.

Weight wise it made sense, said that he has never been cold, plan was to ship this stuff home from VA when the weather changed.

That would make sense weight wise, except that I can't imagine he ever wore them except for sleeping. Instead of carrying a bunch of extra down clothes, he could have just had a slightly heavier bag (15* or 20*) and maybe a puffy jacket, then swapped bags in VA. If there was some crazy reason that you needed down clothing to walk in, the multi-use approach would be a great way to save some weight, but I doubt that's the case here.

denefi
09-26-2014, 07:59
Start date - Late April to May 1

Tent - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2

Pad - ThermaRest Z Lite Sol (http://www.thebusquestion.com/blog/2014/9/13/therm-a-rest-z-lite-sol) (why I chose this)

Sleeping Bag - Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 degree quilt (with lightweight down hood)

I think I'll end up getting a lightweight pillow as well, at least to start with

jred321
09-29-2014, 11:21
Just ordered my pad last week so I think I'm set with my sleep system now. I'll be starting mid-March/early April.
Bag - Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain SL. Probably switching to a less insulated bag at some point when it warms up.
Pad - Thermarest Neoair XLite Regular. Ordered last week from Campmor for $126 shipped (lists at $140, a simple search will find a 10% off any item coupon code). Not exactly cheap, but nowhere near the $160 that makes it more than I would spend.