PDA

View Full Version : water in alabama

birdygal
08-04-2014, 13:34
What time of the year is the best for seasonal water to hike the alabama portion, I have finished georgia and want to do the alabama side, since it is much further away from me I need to do backpack it

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2014, 14:50
Simply put, you never know.

There are times where Alabama will go for weeks without rain... then there was the summer we moved into our house... the entire summer there was never a 48 period without some rain. Other times, we can go for two weeks and get summer rain showers every day.

But looking at climate data for Birmingham, AL (because I happen to have that handy) every month of the year averages about 4.5" to 5" of rain except Aug-Oct where the averages fall to 3.5" to 4".

blisterbob
08-04-2014, 15:15
If you can carry 1 days supply of water you should have reliable sources on all sections but Horn and Rebecca Mtns.
There you will most likely be without a source between mile 22.9 (603A TH) and 48.7 (Scotts lake)
I would stash water at Bulls Gap if doing both sections together.
Two of us did Horn Mtn. section on the 26th. and 27th. of July and it was very warm (93 degrees on the 27th.)
We went through 3 gal. of water and just barely stayed hydrated.
All that to say ....better to wait for cooler weather if you can.
Water will be more plentiful and you will be more comfortable.
Good news, we only picked up 1 tick.

birdygal
08-04-2014, 16:03
thanks, Can you all tell me which cell service is better along the Alabama side, ATT or Verizon,

atmilkman
08-04-2014, 16:34
thanks, Can you all tell me which cell service is better along the Alabama side, ATT or Verizon,
I don't know about ATT, I've used both Straightalk and Verizon and can't tell which was better. Each worked in some of the same places and each worked where the other didn't. Coverage can be spotty at best. Higher up is better. Don't be surprised if you don't have service for a whole day and night and even part of the next day depending on where you're at. Leave the phone off unless you got a lot of battery cause it will constantly search to no avail and drain it in no time. Turn it on and check whenever you're up and/or in the clear.

Matt65
08-04-2014, 17:14
ATT and VZW are both pretty good. I would have to say VZW is the best. You won't have service 100% of the time, but both are adequate for the few daily txts home etc.

HooKooDooKu
08-04-2014, 18:11
No personal experience, but looking at the coverage maps online for voice for both companies, ATT seams to have slightly less area labeled as "No Coverage" in the general area.

blisterbob
08-04-2014, 18:39
I have AT&T and have service about 75% of the entire Al. Pinhoti.
From what hikers tell me I would guess that Verizon has more, maybe 85%
Both are lacking service in the obvious areas.

birdygal
08-04-2014, 20:49
thanks, I leave my phone off, just turn it on when I need to call home once a day to let my DH know I am ok and give him an idea where I am