PDA

View Full Version : Best headlamp

centerfieldr162
08-04-2014, 22:54
I currently own a Princeton Tech Fuel and I like it a lot. Before I bought a second to keep in my day pack I was going to get some opinions and see if anyone had a better option.

Any favorites?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

centerfieldr162
08-04-2014, 22:55
I guess I should add that I like the up and down adjustability on my P.T. and the light output is good. Also never too hard to find triple A batteries

leaftye
08-04-2014, 23:34
Zebralight H52. As light as the dinky plastic headlamps at REI, but 300 lumens with a single AA, or 500+ lumens with a lithium ion battery. Since it's a right angle light, it works just as well as a headlamp as it does a flashlight. Even though it's a very bright light, the low settings can be configured to be fantastically low...no worries about blinding anyone with the lowest settings! It is by far my favorite long distance backpacking light.

OCDave
08-04-2014, 23:39
I really like the Black Diamond Spot. The newest version puts out a peak of 130 Lumenss, has One-touch dimming and seems to have a reasonable battery life. Retail MSRP is $39 but is frequently sale priced at $29. My only complaint is that the red light is pretty useless.

leaftye
08-05-2014, 00:34
I should have included the headlamps I have in my post.

Zebralight H600mkII
Zebralight H52
Armytek Wizard Pro
Fenix HP10
And a couple bike lights that can be worn (uncomfortably) on the head

I may also have a Nitecore HC50 on the way, but I don't think that will be better than the first three lights I just listed unless you really want red LEDs. The Zebralights can be dimmed so low that I don't find the night vision benefits of red emitters to be worth it.

bigcranky
08-05-2014, 07:36
I like the Spot, too. It has two different LED beams - a very bright spotlight beam, and a dimmer two-LED light for close work around camp. Both of these can be dimmed easily. Hold the button for 3 seconds and it turns on a red LED for nighttime use - this setting is locked until you hold the button again for 3 seconds to turn on the white light. Hold the button for 6 seconds and it locks so it won't come on in my pack.

The only annoying feature is that it cycles back and forth between the bright spot and the dim work light each time I turn it on -- so I always get the "wrong" light and have to turn it off and back on to get the other one. It would be nice if the light remembered which LED I was using the last time, and used a different method to switch to the other one.

Gambit McCrae
08-05-2014, 08:23
Best Headlamp (http://www.sbflashlights.com/Spark-Headlamps/Spark-ST6-500CW-p106.html)

Rocket Jones
08-05-2014, 08:38
I've got the Petzl Tikka 2 which is pretty nice, but the only advantage it has over my cheapie Wally World special is the red light.

Sarcasm the elf
08-05-2014, 08:44
Over the years I've stopped using the word "best" to describe any piece of gear because everyone has different preferences and priorities, also different gear can be better or worse depending on the activity you are doing.

All that said, the black diamond spot is my current favorite for general use when hiking/backpacking.

Kerosene
08-05-2014, 09:40
I concur with Sarcasm, no piece of gear is best for every situation. That said, I keep coming back to Black Diamond products, primarily for the weight/intensity/battery life/feature packages.

Venchka
08-05-2014, 10:29
I am currently very fond of my PT Vizz. 3-way illumination including red LEDs and regulated for lithium AAA batteries.

Wayne

Venchka
08-05-2014, 10:30
Link.

http://princetontec.com/vizz

Wayne

lzeplin
08-05-2014, 12:46
Here is a review of 37 different headlamps http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews
I own a black diamond storm, so far it been great

Zippy Morocco
08-05-2014, 13:59
I use a zebra light and love it.

Another Kevin
08-05-2014, 14:20
I think the last couple of times I was in the woods with the Elf were also the last couple of times that I wound up night-hiking. (Pure coincidence.) But seeing the performance of his Spot as opposed to my what-have-you from the hardware store (rated for the same number of lumens according to the packaging - lies, damned lies, and statistics!) has made me decide that I want one for myself. REI Outlet has last year's model on closeout at the moment: If you use this week's 25% off one item at the outlet, it looks as if it'll be $22.30 before tax and shipping.

OCDave
08-05-2014, 14:28
Another Kevin,

Just a heads-up. The previous version of the spot was 90 lumens vs 130 and lacked a few feature the newest version includes. I believe the upgrade was between 2012 and 2013 but I am not entirely sure.

rocketsocks
08-05-2014, 18:09
Here is a review of 37 different headlamps http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews

Your link is not working, I'm wondering if this is what you wanted to post.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews/buying-advice

rocketsocks
08-05-2014, 18:12

Your link is not working, I'm wondering if this is what you wanted to post.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews/buying-advice

I see now yours was about reviews, where as mine is general info. I'd be interested to read your link if you wouldn't mind re-posting.

sympathetic joy
08-05-2014, 19:01
I think the last couple of times I was in the woods with the Elf were also the last couple of times that I wound up night-hiking. (Pure coincidence.) But seeing the performance of his Spot as opposed to my what-have-you from the hardware store (rated for the same number of lumens according to the packaging - lies, damned lies, and statistics!) has made me decide that I want one for myself. REI Outlet has last year's model on closeout at the moment: If you use this week's 25% off one item at the outlet, it looks as if it'll be $22.30 before tax and shipping.

They are going fast. I tried to order the Covert Green and they were sold out. They appear to have some of the Lime Green left.

RYE_TYLER
08-06-2014, 02:04
BD Spot for me as well. I Loved my Fuel, but the plastic latch on the battery cover has broken on three of them.

Siarl
08-06-2014, 03:06
I really like the Black Diamond Spot. The newest version puts out a peak of 130 Lumenss, has One-touch dimming and seems to have a reasonable battery life. Retail MSRP is $39 but is frequently sale priced at $29. My only complaint is that the red light is pretty useless.

I purchased a Black Diamond, not sure which model it was, but it does have the red light option, which I also can't find a reason for using. However, I do like it that it has a "lock" on it that prevents one from turning it on accidentally and draining the batteries. I do carry it around with me in daypack though to use when I'm out walking around at night in case of rattlers. I've had it almost a year now and it works great. The batteries still work and it uses AAA batteries which I can find just about anywhere.

VTATHiker
08-06-2014, 07:09
The older model of the petzel tactikka plus (4 LED version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=341BjGlxiYw) has a flip-up red filter rather than an extra red LED, and I love that. Battery life is good (3 AAA), intensity is good for night hiking, and its been durable - lasted for a few years now including a thru. Good luck!

martinb
08-07-2014, 12:17
Love my spot. Red light is good for late night pee trips because it lets you keep night vision but still "see" stuff.

saltysack
08-07-2014, 13:57
Zebralight H52. As light as the dinky plastic headlamps at REI, but 300 lumens with a single AA, or 500+ lumens with a lithium ion battery. Since it's a right angle light, it works just as well as a headlamp as it does a flashlight. Even though it's a very bright light, the low settings can be configured to be fantastically low...no worries about blinding anyone with the lowest settings! It is by far my favorite long distance backpacking light.

++++11111 best by far imo

T-Rx
08-07-2014, 14:26
Black Diamond Spot works great for me.

Rolls Kanardly
08-07-2014, 15:52
I am looking for my second headlamp. I have one with a battery pack behind the head and not bad but not weather proof.

Any one tried the Petzl NAO? I just saw it on REI for the first time.

Rolls

Old Hiker
08-07-2014, 16:01
Bought several Black Diamond Cosmo lights a while back on Steep and Cheap. One of the on/off switches finally broke (the one I used for my attempt - 2012) and I sent it back for a replacement. The ones I had didn't have the red light, the new one I was sent does. I like the sliding dimmer on the Cosmo. It blinks when you have reached max or min.

I also have a Leatherman S2 my son gave me. This one goes into the pocket of my sleeping shorts, so I don't have to fumble around on the floor of my tent trying to find my headlamp that rolled somewhere. Nice and bright, dimmer switch, really nice.

captike
08-07-2014, 17:01
Another vote for the BD Spot. I had to replace my previous light (cheap Energizer model) because it didn't have a lock on the switch. I spent several days hiking all day with the light on inside my pack. I like the red light for reading/writing in my log each night.

Big Dawg
08-08-2014, 03:30
andother Black Diamond Spot fan!!

leaftye
08-08-2014, 07:13
http://i.imgur.com/n2zEGr3.png

Not only is the Zebralight lighter, brighter and have longer battery life, but it gets another 10+ grams lighter and another 50% battery life if an Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery is used instead of the heavy Eneloop AA that Zebralight uses in their specs.

Here's another thing to consider. The Spot claims to have a sensitive button. Has that ever turned on accidentally? Is there any easy way to prevent accidental turn ons without removing the batteries? With the Zebralight the battery cap only has to be twisted a fraction of a turn to lock it out completely.

bigcranky
08-08-2014, 07:26
Zebralight: $64, Spot: $30 on sale at REI. Matters to some folks, though the Zebralight was cheaper than I expected.

The Spot does have a lockout feature so it doesn't come on in my pack.

Traveler
08-08-2014, 08:32
http://i.imgur.com/n2zEGr3.png

Curious in how max runtime is calculated here. Was the Zebralight run for three months straight, or off and on for three months? The Spot shows 200 hours, but was that over a several month/week time or 200 hours straight?

martinb
08-08-2014, 08:35
Also, was the Spot's dimming feature in use? Anyway, the zebralight looks fantastic though but I don't want to spend $64 on a headlamp.

Sarcasm the elf
08-08-2014, 08:55
Curious in how max runtime is calculated here. Was the Zebralight run for three months straight, or off and on for three months? The Spot shows 200 hours, but was that over a several month/week time or 200 hours straight?

Also, was the Spot's dimming feature in use? Anyway, the zebralight looks fantastic though but I don't want to spend $64 on a headlamp.

I haven't looked into headlamps in a couple of years, but generally whenever a manufacturer gives you a max run time of any sort, it is based on the most efficient setting. In the case of dimming headlamps, this time is typically based on the lowest setting the headlamp has.

Bronk
08-08-2014, 09:14
I have the Petzl Zipka, which is the only headlamp I've seen with a retractable head band. This feature makes it extremely compact and easily put into a pocket. Other headlamps I've tried the headband eventually gets stretched out. My first Zipka lasted me 7 or 8 years...when I first bought it I assumed the tiny string that acts as the headband would eventually break, or the spring in the retractor would break. Neither happened. I used to sleep in a loft bed and used it as a reading light and after dropping it 7ft to the floor below enough times the case eventually cracked...but it took quite a few times of doing that before it finally bit the dust. I've since bought another one. And because I live off grid this headlamp gets a lot more use than the normal weekend backpacker...I'm using it a couple of hours a day to read...sometimes more in the winter time.

leaftye
08-08-2014, 12:22
Zebralight: $64, Spot: $30 on sale at REI. Matters to some folks, though the Zebralight was cheaper than I expected.

The Spot does have a lockout feature so it doesn't come on in my pack.

Yep. It's good to have another piece of data. Not fair to compare a full price against a sale price though. Full price to full price is $39.95 for Spot, $64 for H52. I got my H52 for %54.40 including shipping.

Still, when people ask for the best without mentioning a budget, I mostly disregard price.

How does that lockout feature work?

I haven't looked into headlamps in a couple of years, but generally whenever a manufacturer gives you a max run time of any sort, it is based on the most efficient setting. In the case of dimming headlamps, this time is typically based on the lowest setting the headlamp has.

Both companies give run times in all modes.

Here's how Zebralight describes their testing.

Light output are ANSI out the front (OTF) values. Runtimes tested (and parasitic drain estimated) using Sanyo 2000mAh Eneloop AA batteries. Light output with 14500 batteries are the same except that the H1 is 535Lm for the first minute and then step down to 300Lm.

Black Diamond has very little info about how they determined their runtime.

The H52 hasn't had a detailed technical review done on it, and probably won't because the SC52 is virtually identical other than the direction the lens is pointed at, so this review of the SC52 (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?354117) should translate directly to the H52. The results match the specifications quite well.

Maximum runtime was probably calculated. Since Eneloops have very low self discharge, and voltage sag is nearly non existent at the lowest setting, calculating the runtime based on current draw at any moment should be very accurate.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/selfbuilt/2013/SC52-Runtimes.gif

bigcranky
08-08-2014, 13:16
I think max runtime numbers are exactly as accurate as sleeping bag temperature ratings.

The lockout feature on the Spot is simple - hold the button down for six seconds, and it's locked. Repeat to unlock.

I guess the appeal of the Spot is that it's widely available, often on sale, and not too expensive. I also particularly like the red LED feature for nighttime use.

leaftye
08-08-2014, 14:11
Returns and warranty claims are easy too if you buy at REI. I wish some of the flashlights brands I like were sold at REI, at least the premium brands anyway. Lower cost lights I build myself, so I'm not worried if it breaks because I can fix most issues myself.

Shonryu
08-23-2014, 23:35
Zebra Light H52 amazing light.

Blackdiamond Revolt for longer trips because I carry and external battery pack so I can charge my headlamp if I need some extra power.

Coffee
08-24-2014, 00:22
I like the spot in terms of functionality (strong highlighting beam, diffused white light, and red light). But it just burns through lithium batteries. I'm getting toward the end of my Colorado Trail thru hike and I've gone through three sets of batteries using the light an average of an hour in camp each morning/evening plus two 2-3 hour predawn starts using the spot beam at full blast.

MuddyWaters
08-24-2014, 13:13
There is no "best" too subjective of a term.

Most people carry waaayyy more light ability than is needed. Its a fear they have. 99% dont even night hike.

Odd Man Out
08-24-2014, 13:40
It looks like I'm in good company with my BD Spot, but I have yet to use it. I go to bed when it gets dark and get up when the first bird sings. But I guess it's one of the items you really have to have if you need it.

q-tip
08-24-2014, 13:53
Took a look at the Zebralight. The battery life at usable lumens is actually pretty bad 1-4 hr's. The 200 hr's. is at .01 lumens. The Spot by comparison blows it away. I need a new one anyway, this is helpful.

MuddyWaters
08-24-2014, 17:42
The best light for a person provides acceptable light lumens and battery life and weight for what someone will actually use it for. The OP asked for the best, there is no best. Some people dont mind carrying around 3oz of useless light and another oz of spare batteries, and some do.

I use a small 0.64 oz light that will give 1.5 hrs at 80L, and 15 hrs on 20L on a single AAA. It lasts me weeks with limited night hiking. With more night hiking I bring a spare 0.27 oz battery and for under 1oz I have 30 hrs of night hiking ability. 20L is plenty to hike by, I climbed Mt. Whitney in the icy dark with it on the JMT. No problem. But many insist on 100L or 200 or even more. They are SCARED they will need the light.

rickb
08-24-2014, 18:11
Scared?

I'm scared that I won't be able to light up an owl that comes my way.

Apart from hoots, If I hear rustling in the middle of the night, it's go time for that too.

If the critter hears me coming, a good light (I have a rather powerful Felix hand held) at least gives me a chance of seeing its tail end. As for a head lamp, well that just helps me find the Fenix. :-)

Thru hikers can turnover and get their beauty rest, but they are missing the fun.

Odd Man Out
08-24-2014, 19:20
...I use a small 0.64 oz light that will give 1.5 hrs at 80L, and 15 hrs on 20L on a single AAA. It lasts me weeks with limited night hiking. With more night hiking I bring a spare 0.27 oz battery and for under 1oz I have 30 hrs of night hiking ability. 20L is plenty to hike by, I climbed Mt. Whitney in the icy dark with it on the JMT. No problem. But many insist on 100L or 200 or even more. They are SCARED they will need the light.

I'm interested in downsizing my light. What is this light you describe?

swjohnsey
08-24-2014, 19:58
The Petzel E-lite is waterproof, light, compact, very long battery life. Has red light. Everything I needed on my thru-hike.

Deacon
08-24-2014, 22:05
The Petzel E-lite is waterproof, light, compact, very long battery life. Has red light. Everything I needed on my thru-hike.

And, it only weighs 1 ounce.

whoopidoo
08-25-2014, 06:34
I see a lot of folks recommending the Black Diamond Spot, which I have. I like the light, but the battery life is not as advertised. I actually contacted Black Diamond after this old thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98557-Black-Diamond-Spot-Horrible-Battery-Life&p=1529521&highlight=#post1529521) and they sent me a new one, so I now have two...they both have the same problem. I’m not sure the battery life is abnormal so much as their marketing department is pushing things. The red light is also so dim as to be near worthless (I can’t even see my feet with it on).

colorado_rob
08-25-2014, 08:24
I used the Mammut S-lite last year on the AT and it performed marvelously for those modest needs, only 25 lumens, but uses a single AA, which is rare for a headlamp, and I find 25 lumens plenty for trail hiking at night. Funny, it's battery life using the lighter lithium battery was poor, but great with a standard alkaline. This is still my regular light for most summer backpacking, 1.6 ounces with a regular AA battery.

My go-to light when I need something brighter, like alpine-start climbing on technical routes is the Princeton Tec Remix; 70 lumens, but seems brighter than my wife's 90 Lumen spot, must be how it focuses the light a bit tighter. I replaced it's heavy headband with a lighter one from an old headlamp, and with Lithium batteries, it weighs 2.1 ounces, and has great battery life for that many nicely-focused lumens.

soumodeler
08-25-2014, 08:35
I use the Petzel E-lite, and it is more than sufficient for my needs. Not sure that it would be good for night hiking though.

orthofingers
09-17-2014, 15:58
I currently own a Princeton Tech Fuel and I like it a lot. Before I bought a second to keep in my day pack I was going to get some opinions and see if anyone had a better option.

Any favorites?

My order of preference for a headlamp is:

Bright enough to nite hike (don't need a million lumens)
Takes batteries that are easy to find anywhere.
Decent battery life.
Switch can't be easily turned on by stuffing it in a pack.
Battery compartment door is secure enough to stay on during a fall but doesn't need a screwdriver to open.
I like the red nite light feature but some others don't.
A strap that isn't worn out half way through the hike (or is easily replaceable).

So, who makes a light with most/all of the above features.

10-K
09-17-2014, 16:15
I see a lot of folks recommending the Black Diamond Spot, which I have. I like the light, but the battery life is not as advertised. I actually contacted Black Diamond after this old thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98557-Black-Diamond-Spot-Horrible-Battery-Life&p=1529521&highlight=#post1529521) and they sent me a new one, so I now have two...they both have the same problem. I’m not sure the battery life is abnormal so much as their marketing department is pushing things. The red light is also so dim as to be near worthless (I can’t even see my feet with it on).

Love my Spot... I've been tempted to get a lighter headlamp but just can't bring myself to do it.

Most days I'm hiking an hour / hour and a half before dawn and I can get 9-10 days out of a set of lithiums. I turn it on, then dim it as low as I can and still be able to hike. If I get to a place I need to light up I just brighten it up.

If you leave it on the brightest settings you'll burn through a set of batteries in no time but that's true for any high-lumen headlamp.

swisscross
09-17-2014, 16:37
I too like the e+lite. But I don't hike at night.

Coffee
09-17-2014, 16:38
My order of preference for a headlamp is:

Bright enough to nite hike (don't need a million lumens)
Takes batteries that are easy to find anywhere.
Decent battery life.
Switch can't be easily turned on by stuffing it in a pack.
Battery compartment door is secure enough to stay on during a fall but doesn't need a screwdriver to open.
I like the red nite light feature but some others don't.
A strap that isn't worn out half way through the hike (or is easily replaceable).

So, who makes a light with most/all of the above features.

The Black Diamond Spot meets all of the features you list except for "decent battery life". On the Colorado Trail, I had three very early starts requiring the headlamp for about 2 hours before I could hike with natural light. On two occasions, I had to replace the batteries the following night. Other than those morning hikes, I never really used the headlamp for more than maybe an hour or so in the evenings, at reduced brightness, in or around my tent.

But if you need a lamp that lets you night hike, the Spot is great. Just carry extra batteries.

10-K
09-17-2014, 16:43
The Black Diamond Spot meets all of the features you list except for "decent battery life". On the Colorado Trail, I had three very early starts requiring the headlamp for about 2 hours before I could hike with natural light. On two occasions, I had to replace the batteries the following night. Other than those morning hikes, I never really used the headlamp for more than maybe an hour or so in the evenings, at reduced brightness, in or around my tent.

But if you need a lamp that lets you night hike, the Spot is great. Just carry extra batteries.

See my post above - I easily get over a week out of a set of lithiums with my spot, using it for at least an our of night hiking each day.

Do you leave it on the brightest setting? I dim mine considerably and only turn it up when I need to really-really light up the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
09-17-2014, 16:57
Do you leave it on the brightest setting? I dim mine considerably and only turn it up when I need to really-really light up the trail.

Usually it is on the brightest setting if I'm hiking. In retrospect, I might have been able to dim it considerably on one of the mornings since there was nearly a full moon.

leaftye
09-27-2014, 01:22
Took a look at the Zebralight. The battery life at usable lumens is actually pretty bad 1-4 hr's. The 200 hr's. is at .01 lumens. The Spot by comparison blows it away. I need a new one anyway, this is helpful.

Nope. You're off by an order of magnitude. That 0.01 lumens is for three months. Over 2000 hours in that period.

Now the Spot does claim to have greater battery life at 4 lumens in triple LED mode, but they don't say what their testing methodology is or what battery they're using. Zebralight does. Here (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews/Beam-Test?beamA=50587&v=3&beamB=49009) someone tested the Spot and found that BD's times were barely 10% of their claims when the ANSI standard that better light manufacturers use. When Selfbuilt did a comprehensive test of the flashlight version of the H52 (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?354117) using ANSI standard methods, his results were very close to Zebralight's claims.

10-K
09-27-2014, 09:08
The Spot or the Zebralight are more than adequate. Just pick one and go hiking.

This choice isn't going to make or ruin your trip....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leaftye
09-27-2014, 17:08
The same could be said about any of your gear recommendations, but the name of this thread of "best headlamp", not "adequate headlamp".

10-K
09-27-2014, 17:26
The same could be said about any of your gear recommendations, but the name of this thread of "best headlamp", not "adequate headlamp".

Pick a headlamp and go hiking. Both the Spot and the Zebralight are best-enough to do the job.

10-K
09-27-2014, 18:04