PDA

View Full Version : TT Rainbow vs. TT Moment DW

tarantolk
08-05-2014, 10:47
Opinions please.

Looking to purchase a TT soon, either the rainbow or moment dw & would like your advice & opinions of these two.

Thanks!

bigcranky
08-05-2014, 10:49
I had the original Moment - it's a nice tent and sets up very quickly. Plenty of room inside. If I were buying a solo Tarptent today, I would get the Notch -- two doors, two vestibules, uses my hiking sticks (so no extra pole to carry), lots of ventilation when needed, and lighter than the others.

The Cleaner
08-05-2014, 12:58
The new Moment DW has 2 doors and vestibules. It sets up very fast with only 2 stakes and one pole inserted into a sleeve. Would be very easy to set up with gloves on. There are 2 side guyouts for windy conditions which do help.27994

bigcranky
08-05-2014, 13:27
Sweet, I hadn't seen that one. Basically like the Notch except it uses the curved pole instead of trekking poles. Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! :) )

Venchka
08-05-2014, 15:40
Sweet, I hadn't seen that one. Basically like the Notch except it uses the curved pole instead of trekking poles. Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! :) )

Compound your dilemma with the Double Moment. Look in What's New at TarpTent.com.

Wayne

The Cleaner
08-05-2014, 16:50
I'm a one pole hiker so the tent pole is nice...

bigcranky
08-05-2014, 17:29
Compound your dilemma with the Double Moment. Look in What's New at TarpTent.com.

Thanks, Wayne :) Holy cow, that's nice. We already have two 2-person tents, a Lunar Duo and a Hexamid Twin. But man that's nicely designed for bad weather use - looks like almost everything can be open even in the rain.

Venchka
08-05-2014, 17:40
Indeed. Just when I thought that the StratoSpires 1 or 2 would be right for me, Henry throws out the Moment 2.
Flipping coins again.

Wayne

Schnitzel
08-06-2014, 08:23
I took the new Moment DW with me on my longish section this year - basically, I liked it - for a tent that only has two anchor points, it was remarkably sturdy as long as you pitched it the right direction for the wind. I really enjoyed the fact that it was NOT dependent on hiking poles, as I tend to break the dratted things frequently. Is it heavier than the Lightheart Gear/Stratospire/Notch tents? Yes, but not by that much, and it literally took less than a minute to set up by the time I got used to it. Vestibules are big enough to shield a pack from the elements, as well. My only quibbles with it were that it was a little small - I am seriously considering looking into a 2 person sized tent for future endeavors, as long periods of time spent in the Moment got a little claustrophobic for me, but that would be for any one person tent. The only other thing that was not great about it was the one rainstorm with torrential downpours where the rain splashed up under the fly and into the tent. . . but that was, obviously, not a common thing to happen. All in all, I think that the Moment DW was a great tent, provided one can tolerate a one person sized tent.

garlic08
08-06-2014, 09:43
...Very nice - that would make my decision more difficult. (Darn you Henry Shires!!! :) )

Indeed. Just when I thought that the StratoSpires 1 or 2 would be right for me, Henry throws out the Moment 2.
Flipping coins again.

My recent dilemma was choosing the reliable old Contrail over the new Moment. It was pretty much flipping a coin. I went with the Contrail--simpler, lighter, cheaper, and a proven quantity.

Venchka
08-06-2014, 16:48
My recent dilemma was choosing the reliable old Contrail over the new Moment. It was pretty much flipping a coin. I went with the Contrail--simpler, lighter, cheaper, and a proven quantity.

Good input. Thanks.

Wayne