PDA

View Full Version : Ion stove question, for SGT Rock...

Big Dawg
10-07-2005, 11:28
... but for all to see! SGT Rock, I'm building one of your Ion stoves & have several questions.

#1. I've built the stove, but based on my recently purchased hand punch & knockout punch kits, the center hole is 1 & 1/8th", & the small burner holes are 3/32". Will this slight difference in hole size affect the stove's performance?

#2. If I paint the bottom half of the stove, do I have to use a special type of paint, or will a can of spray paint do?

#3. I'll be ordering a small Titanium sheet to make my TiPod. The pic of the sheet looks light brown, but the TiPod looks black. Is The TiPod painted?

#4. What is the simmer plate made of? Also, I assume the simmer plate doesn't allow the flame to come thru the small burner holes,,, just the center hole, which creates the simmer effect? Is this correct?

#5. What grade aluminum is used for the Priming Tray/Sand Base. I hike in winter alot & would need this to ensure use of the stove in cold weather. No pic is on your website, so I'm not sure how this looks, is made, or fits under stove. I assume since this item is described as being a triangle, it fits under each TiPod leg. I also assume it has sides to hold the small amount of alchohol----which I assume you light to warm up the bottom side of the stove. Also, when using the Priming Tray, does that go on top of the heat reflector?

#6. The only place I can find 36 gauge aluminum-for the windscreen- is online. I've tried local Home Depot-etc, craft stores, & metal companies,, & can't seem to find this stuff locally. Any other suggestions than online stores. Also, does all 36 gauge aluminum have a copper look on 1 side,, & if not, is there a specific reason for using this copper-on-one-side aluminum?

:D Thanks SGT Rock for answering these questions. Based on the fact that you sell this stove, then I understand if you don't want to release the details I'm requesting. Either way, thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out this lightweight efficient stove!!

Later, Big Dawg

SGT Rock
10-07-2005, 20:21
... but for all to see! SGT Rock, I'm building one of your Ion stoves & have several questions.

#1. I've built the stove, but based on my recently purchased hand punch & knockout punch kits, the center hole is 1 & 1/8th", & the small burner holes are 3/32". Will this slight difference in hole size affect the stove's performance?
The best answer I can give is MAYBE. Try it and find out.

#2. If I paint the bottom half of the stove, do I have to use a special type of paint, or will a can of spray paint do?
Use stove or barbecue grill paint. Don't use engine paint.

#3. I'll be ordering a small Titanium sheet to make my TiPod. The pic of the sheet looks light brown, but the TiPod looks black. Is The TiPod painted?

The brown look is sort of bad lighting. The color is actually sort of gray. The black Ti-pod is a spray painted titanium stand using grill paint.

#4. What is the simmer plate made of? Also, I assume the simmer plate doesn't allow the flame to come thru the small burner holes,,, just the center hole, which creates the simmer effect? Is this correct?
Aluminum flashing. Your assumptions are correct.

#5. What grade aluminum is used for the Priming Tray/Sand Base. I hike in winter alot & would need this to ensure use of the stove in cold weather. No pic is on your website, so I'm not sure how this looks, is made, or fits under stove. I assume since this item is described as being a triangle, it fits under each TiPod leg. I also assume it has sides to hold the small amount of alchohol----which I assume you light to warm up the bottom side of the stove. Also, when using the Priming Tray, does that go on top of the heat reflector?
It is also made from flashing. I cut it into a triangle and then bend a lip about 1/8" on all sides to make it like a triangle shaped shallow ash tray. Again, your assumptions are correct.

#6. The only place I can find 36 gauge aluminum-for the windscreen- is online. I've tried local Home Depot-etc, craft stores, & metal companies,, & can't seem to find this stuff locally. Any other suggestions than online stores. Also, does all 36 gauge aluminum have a copper look on 1 side,, & if not, is there a specific reason for using this copper-on-one-side aluminum?

I had to go through some art supply places to find it. The copper is just because I think it looks cool.

:D Thanks SGT Rock for answering these questions. Based on the fact that you sell this stove, then I understand if you don't want to release the details I'm requesting. Either way, thanks! I'm looking forward to trying out this lightweight efficient stove!!

Later, Big Dawg
Naw, at heart I'm a stove builder and I relate to anyone building them. I sell some of the parts like the titanium sheets and I also can get you the stuff to make the windscreens without having to buy large quantities of what can be expensive stuff if you don't need all that extra material.

Big Dawg
10-08-2005, 08:06
Much appreciated, Rock!! :clap

jimtanker
10-08-2005, 16:29
I have one of Rock's stoves. That thing is great. Never going to need that pepsi can stove again.

Thanks again Rock.

Bassline
10-08-2005, 17:24
SGT Rock is a great guy. At Hardcore this year, he, and guy from Etowah Outfitter (them name escapes me) built my Trangia a windscreen and a new stand. It made my stove atleast 50-60% more powerful. It was amazing to me just what better performance I got out of it. The best part is, they did it as a free service to me as a hiker. Thanks again SGT Rock. It is all good.

Bassline

SGT Rock
10-08-2005, 19:06
That is Paul Fitzer, or Chef Paul as folks know him.

Big Dawg
10-10-2005, 13:44
Hi SGT Rock,

I'll be ordering some stove parts upon receipt of your response!!

The windscreen kit on your ionstove.com website states: Sizes up to 6" x 36". What size comes w/ the $5.00 purchase? If smaller piece for $5.00, then how much is the 6" x 36" piece. My desire is to get 2 windscreens out of the 6" x 36" piece.

Also, based on the design of the standard TiPod, I should be able to get 2 TiPods out of the 4.5" x 5.25" piece of titanium sheet, right?

Thanks,

SGT Rock
10-10-2005, 14:28
Sorry I didn’t respond earlier. I have been trying to catch up on my College Algebra class this weekend before I head out to Mississippi tomorrow. I take a break to post on Whiteblaze every now and then when my head starts hurting, so I also saw your PM and just answered the e-mail. But I'll also answer here in case someone else wants to know.

A windscreen kit is one sheet 6” x 36” which can make a screen much larger than you should need. I list it as “up to” on the site because sometimes people order smaller sections. The standard windscreen is usually 3”x24” and that is serviceable for puts up to 7.5” in diameter. So you could get two windscreens from one kit if you cut it right.

The larger sheets are made so someone can make their own Trangia stand or make some project for a larger stand. You certainly could make 2 stands with that and have material left over.

If you order while I am gone, my wife has the entire inventory laid out so it won’t be an issue. She can fill the order just fine.

Big Dawg
10-11-2005, 18:50
Thanks for above!!

OK, Rock,,, one last question, I promise (hmmmmm, maybe I shouldn't promise that). Anyway, I could only find "grill paint" in black, grey, white, tan. I noticed on ionstove.com that your stove is blue. I can't find any local or online store selling "grill paint" in any color other than the 4 I mentioned above. Maybe you should add different colors of "grill paint" to your list of products--(mostly just kiddin here).

dixicritter
10-11-2005, 20:25
I can answer this one....LOL.

We didn't use "grill paint" on the stove pictured on the site... That was engine paint, which we found out didn't stand up the the "fire" very well at all. Hence we only offer the bare metal stoves now.

And Please don't give him any ideas... ;) :D

Two Speed
10-11-2005, 20:59
Found a paint I like for stoves at a shop that sells woodburning stoves and fireplace inserts; brand name is "Thurmalox Stove Paint." Pretty decent range of colors available, seems to bond decently to clean galvanized steel and shows no sign of distress due to heating. Doesn't come to a gloss finish, though.

Big Dawg
10-12-2005, 14:01
And Please don't give him any ideas... ;) :D
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Dixicritter,, I'm looking forward to my recent order/material

Thanks, James

Big Dawg
10-12-2005, 14:05
Found a paint I like for stoves at a shop that sells woodburning stoves and fireplace inserts; brand name is "Thurmalox Stove Paint." Pretty decent range of colors available, seems to bond decently to clean galvanized steel and shows no sign of distress due to heating. Doesn't come to a gloss finish, though.
Thanks Two Speed,,,, just what I'm looking for,,,,, WOW, so many colors to choose from!! :clap

Seeker
10-13-2005, 23:22
hey rock,

can i get one with nascar stripes, with a # and an ad logo on the side? maybe nike or roxy will let you start offering logo stoves, for a buck or 2 extra... or a camoflage pattern... blaze orange for hunters... pink, for my daughter... earthtone brown, for treehuggers... red, with a white stripe, for people who also like scuba diving... branch colors, for the army guys... school colors for SEC college sports nuts... how 'bout a big white "T" on orange, for them voles! (yes, i did add the 'e' on purpose...)

dixicritter
10-14-2005, 08:58
LOL LOL LOL LOL

Dixicritter,, I'm looking forward to my recent order/material

Thanks, James

It's on the way to you now! Enjoy! :)

Big Dawg
10-18-2005, 08:22
Thanks, Dixicritter!!

SGT Rock,,,,,, props to you, man!! :clap I finished making my TiPod/windscreen last night & gave the stove it's official test last night. Worked GREAT!!!!! What an awesome little stove,,, & what a fuel miser. I can't wait til winter so I can put it to the cold/wet weather test,, as most of my hikes are Oct thru April.

Bravo brother!!! :sun

SGT Rock
10-18-2005, 08:23
Have fun with it.

Rambler
11-01-2005, 13:06
Why add paint?

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 13:21
Because people asked for it.

Kerosene
11-01-2005, 16:45
Because people asked for it.What, you listen to your customers?!? :D

Seeker
11-01-2005, 17:30
customer service... there's a novelty... thanks rock... i made my own, but only because you posted the plans that enabled it.nice to have vendors like that, isn't it...

SGT Rock
11-01-2005, 17:33
No problem. This one prefers you make it yourself.

smokymtnsteve
11-01-2005, 21:33
No problem. This one prefers you make it yourself.

my uncle used to make his own stove fuel ....

Sandy B
11-12-2005, 22:33
Just built the ION stove, I used a Red Bull and a starbucks can. The starbucks can is apx .010 smaller OD than the red bull can. This made the fit up very easy. I have made other stoves in the past, so the time it took may not be the norm. From start to flames was under 5 mins, Even my wife was supprised.

Sandy