PDA

View Full Version : 3 day 2 night hike in North Georgia suggestions

guruice4
08-06-2014, 12:31
Hi I am sorry for making a new post as I am sure this is covered alot however after a couple hours of searching I have not been able to find exactly what I am looking for.

I will be taking my son (11) on his first backpacking trip next week and I am wanting to do a section of the AT (around 20-25 miles). We were wanting to start at Springer however I have not been able to find clear information on what would be a good stopping point where we can take a shuttle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on start/stopping points?

To answer a few questions.
1. Yes he has hiked before- last summer we did alot of 5-7 mile day hikes in the area, so we should be good for 8-10 miles per day.
2. We will be starting out around noonish on day 1, and want to be back at our car on day 3.
3. We would like to park and shuttle to our start point or do a good round trip hike if anyone has any suggestions, we would prefer not to hike out and then back the same way back if we do a round trip.

Thanks in advance for any help

illabelle
08-06-2014, 12:55
First off, Welcome to WhiteBlaze!

There are others with better knowledge of that area, but if you don't yet have a map or guidebook, below is an online source that might help a bit. Choose Springer as one endpoint, then select another endpoint and click submit. The next screen will show how many miles between the two points. So, for example, Woody Gap is 21.1 miles from Springer and might suit you perfectly.
Except I don't know how accessible Woody Gap is. If you can make it as far as Neels Gap (30 miles), you'll be at a major road crossing.

http://www.atdist.com/

Hikes in Rain
08-06-2014, 13:07
Woody Gap is also a major road crossing. (Well, sorta major. It's paved, at least!) You could leave your car there safely, then shuttle to Springer, almost, and hike back. Fairely easy hiking; just be sure to get water at Hawk Mountain Shelter; it's a long slog dry slog to Justus Creek (6 miles).

tagg
08-06-2014, 13:10
Both woody gap and neel gap are good places to leave a car and catch a shuttle, it just depends which of those distances suits you. The Hiker Hostel (down the road from woody gap) can shuttle you to springer from either spot, and I'm sure you can call Mountain Crossings (at neel gap) and find someone there to provide a shuttle, too.

guruice4
08-06-2014, 13:29
Thanks so much for the information! How are the climbs/uphill stretches going south from Woodys Gap? I am wondering if we can start at Woodys Gap and go South to Amicalol Falls. If its alot of downhill we may be able to knock 30 miles out. I know the Springer to Amicalola is mostly downhill I believe.

AfghanVet
08-06-2014, 13:38
Springer to Amicalola is sort of a roller coaster in either direction. Granted, it's more downhill from Springer to Amicalola but there's still a decent amount of uphill. Especially that cursed hill at Nimblewill Gap...I still have nightmares about that stupid hill lol

Hill Ape
08-06-2014, 13:44
I know the Springer to Amicalola is mostly downhill I believe.

negative sir, put that thought out of our head. for every downhill there is an uphill, that is a fundamental law of the trail.

do not underestimate terrain around here. 10 mpd max for flatlanders... you will feel it. both hostels tagg suggested are awesome, neels gap is historically epic. a dinner with other hikers at the hostel there, its a life experience

Trebor66
08-06-2014, 16:23
Springer to Amicalola is sort of a roller coaster in either direction. Granted, it's more downhill from Springer to Amicalola but there's still a decent amount of uphill. Especially that cursed hill at Nimblewill Gap...I still have nightmares about that stupid hill lol

Nimbelwill Gap kicked my butt as well. However for me it has pleasant memories as it is what convinced me to quit smoking. My last pack of smokes is buried at the too of that damn hill..

AO2134
08-06-2014, 16:42
I made it down from Springer to Amicalola in about 3 hrs. It is mostly down hill. Huge elevation loss, but there are some steep elevation gains, which in total amount to less than 900 ft (my best guess). By comparison, elevation loss is likely in the ballpark between 1,350 to 1,500. (my best guess).

I had already done 22 miles that day and I was exhausted. Still I found 80% of the hike from Springer to Amicalola fairly easy.

If starting at woody, my recommendation would be:

Day 1: Woody to Cooper Gap. a little under 9 miles.
Day 2: Cooper Gap to Stover Creek. 10 miles
Day 3: Stover Creek to Amicalola. 11.8 miles.

If stop at Springer,

Day 1: Woody to Big Ceder Mt. about a mile for amazing views. Big Cedar Mt. to Woody. another mile Woody to Justus Creek 6.4 miles. Day 1 total. 8.4 miles.
Day 2: Justus Creek to Hawk Mt. Shelter. 6.3 miles
Day 3: Hawk Mt. Shelter to Springer, and back to Parking lot. 9 miles.

If you need to make Day 1 shorter, stop at Backwell creek and save 1.5 miles on day 1 and add to day 2.

If you have time on day three, consider doing the Springer Mt. loop. Get to springer Mt. summit head back to parking lot. .2 miles on the way back, take right onto Benton McKaye Trail, which will intersect AT. Take left on AT and hike back 1.1 miles back to parking lot.

Just some ideas.

AfghanVet
08-06-2014, 17:40
I think for someone who is a seasoned hiker in good trail shape, Nimblewill Gap and that hill wouldn't be too bad probably. However, I was neither of those and it seemed like the danged thing never ended.

barefooter333
09-10-2014, 10:45
cant wait i start this section in two week to start my life journey on hikin the world famous AT