PDA

View Full Version : Paying It Forward

Kraken Skullz
08-06-2014, 20:54
I just wanted to thank everyone on WB for the awesome attitudes they have displayed to the hiking and backpacking community for as long as I have been a member. It is pretty uncommon where you can trust folks for advice, unbiased reviews, and sales of gear like we have here at whiteblaze.net. Hopefully we all appreciate the little things like free stickers and good camping humor amongst the "professional" advice that is poured through the veins of this great community of likeminded people. I know that I use this place as a reference for all things outdoors and believe that the people of this community are unlike any community of online people in our unselfish attitudes and generous hearts.

Thank you all so much for bringing light to my day.

TNhiker
08-06-2014, 21:34
i meant to reply to your other thread and forgot (sorta)...

anyways----i probably have some books i can send ya.....

do they need to be paperbacks? some i may have maybe hardbacks...

also----im low on funds......im guessing theres not a way for you guys to pay postage by any chance?

Kraken Skullz
08-06-2014, 21:55
Just looking for whatever you are willing to send. Obviously being a reach out, we are looking to have folks fork over the $3-$4 to mail the books in. Let me know what you have and give me a shipping quote and I may be able to cover the shipping costs. Rocketsocks is a great example of paying it forward.

TNhiker
08-06-2014, 22:08
cool...

being an eagle scout myself---i dig this and would typically just ship ya the books.....but, im really broke this summer.....

i'll make a list of what i gots---i have a box of extra outdoorsy books at the house (at work right now)......

Kraken Skullz
08-07-2014, 09:28
Thanks! PM me if you need he shipping info.

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 10:42
You ain't kidding man. Everyone on here has been incredible. As I've said before, I got on here before I really got into hiking. If it weren't for the folks on here willing to help me out and offer advice and even send me some stuff to get me going, that first day I hike for 16 miles and my soles came off my boots two miles in, I probably would have said, "You know this ain't for me." So, because of their generosity, I've given hiking more tries since then and I'm so grateful.

rocketsocks
08-07-2014, 11:43
You ain't kidding man. Everyone on here has been incredible. As I've said before, I got on here before I really got into hiking. If it weren't for the folks on here willing to help me out and offer advice and even send me some stuff to get me going, that first day I hike for 16 miles and my soles came off my boots two miles in, I probably would have said, "You know this ain't for me." So, because of their generosity, I've given hiking more tries since then and I'm so grateful.Hey, your still allowed to say..."this ain't for me" I say that all the time...usually on an uphills. :D but at least your giving it a shot, many don't make it out of their own head.

...as far as payin' things forward, I've had a lot of help over the years...we all do what we can, when we can, and as often as we can, and when we can't, that's ok, there'll be another time when we can. :)

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:52
So far, the only return contribution I've made if you want to call it that was when I was doing the Loop Trail at Springer Mountain. I ran into a lady and a gentleman who were on a group hike. The group had basically vanished on them and they had no idea where to go. Thanks to the gut hook app demo on my phone, we navigated our way out. Slowed down my hike considerably but I stayed with them for the whole trip back to Springer and even climbed up to the top with them. They said I saved their entire day, I don't believe I did. Anyone else would have pointed them on the right path but at least I got a sense of some contribution :)

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:53
Oh! And rocketsocks man, I'm out of my own head big time, I have this incessant itch now. I haven't done what I'd consider a decent hike in probably 3 weeks to a month and it's eating at me. To say nothing of the fact that I have everything now I need to overnight and haven't done it yet. That one's really gnawing at me :D

rocketsocks
08-07-2014, 12:09
So far, the only return contribution I've made if you want to call it that was when I was doing the Loop Trail at Springer Mountain. I ran into a lady and a gentleman who were on a group hike. The group had basically vanished on them and they had no idea where to go. Thanks to the gut hook app demo on my phone, we navigated our way out. Slowed down my hike considerably but I stayed with them for the whole trip back to Springer and even climbed up to the top with them. They said I saved their entire day, I don't believe I did. Anyone else would have pointed them on the right path but at least I got a sense of some contribution :)right on!

Oh! And rocketsocks man, I'm out of my own head big time, I have this incessant itch now. I haven't done what I'd consider a decent hike in probably 3 weeks to a month and it's eating at me. To say nothing of the fact that I have everything now I need to overnight and haven't done it yet. That one's really gnawing at me :D
Man, you got it bad :D....been there.

I'm pretty sure most here can definitely relate to that, if it were early spring I'd call it "cabin fever" (one remedy for that is to start doin winter hikes) but since it's mid summer I think it's called...I dunno...The Duldrums :sun