PDA

View Full Version : Zipper Replacement, any cost ideas?

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 10:57
I know this is a widely variable price point based on a whole slew of factors but has anyone done this and got an idea of price for it? I have a chance to buy a 65 liter Hi-Tec pack for $10 but if the cost of the zipper replacement is too high it wouldn't be worth it for me. I don't have a sewing machine so doing it myself is out of the question.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Gambit McCrae
08-07-2014, 10:58
Any seamstress/ Taylor should be able to fix that for ya no problem, I would say no more then 20 bucks or so, zipper itself I wouldnt think to be more then 5-10 bucks

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:10
The zipper itself is in good shape but part of the teeth have been a little chewed up and ripped the stitching as well. I'm figuring they will probably have to replace at least the lower teeth which may be easier if they replace the whole kit and caboodle.

Tipi Walter
08-07-2014, 11:11
I've done several pack zipper replacements and used old jacket zippers. At-home repairs won't ever be to factory specs unless you're an expert as pack zippers can get hard to fit like the original. But heck, as long as the thing works and keeps things from falling out there's no problem. Have a stout needle handy, a pair of pliars to pull the thread thru and maybe an awl to make the holes.

I'd yank the whole thing out and start over with something newish as a failed pack zipper in the field isn't good.

Just Bill
08-07-2014, 11:38
I'm with Tipi- Time to learn how to sew. Not saying sewing a new zipper on by hand is fun- but by the end of the project you'll probably know more than you wanted about sewing. Hand sewing for general repairs is a handy skill.
A big needle, pliers, and spool of polyester thread is cheap, if not free. You'll want to put some in your kit anyway eventually.

IF- that's the issue. Missing, bent, broken teeth on zippers do happen, but more often than not, the slider failed. You may simply need to replace the slider- not the whole zipper.
http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-Zipper-when-the-Slider-Has-Come-Off-Completely

That said- Do you even like the pack? When you're broke as a joke, $10 + repairs is still money not worth spending on a crappy pack. Wasting $20 on a (likely) 6 pound pack that originally cost $100 bucks brand new won't help you much. Start scouting out the garage sale at REI or scouring the web.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-TEC-TIOGA-65-Internal-Frame-Trail-Backpack-Camp-Hike-Bag-3966cu-Orange-Grey-/271565675409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3a935b91

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:44
The pack ain't too bad. It's a Hi-Tec Nova 65. Of course, I haven't tried fit or how well, or poorly I can pack everything in. I've done some hand-sewing in the military but nothing major. Mostly the crotch seam of my britches lol

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:45
Just weighed it. It's 3.8 dry weight :D

AfghanVet
08-07-2014, 11:49
So, here's a picture of the zipper situation going on so ya'll can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Tipi Walter
08-07-2014, 11:58
That looks f***** up beyond all repair as plastic coil zippers aren't all that robust. I'd definitely replace the whole thing. My repairs aren't pretty but I actually end up with more room in the pack cuz my zippers tend to get sewn on the outside of the seam whereas factory zips are intricately placed inside the seams and "buried". And you can either cut the zipper and remove all the teeth and leave the seam intact and sew atop this, or remove the whole blasted thing from the thread and start over.

I always enjoy tugging on these broken plastic zips and and watching the whole zipper coil come out in a long strand.

DLP
08-07-2014, 12:05
That said- Do you even like the pack? When you're broke as a joke, $10 + repairs is still money not worth spending on a crappy pack. +1 on Bill's thinking. You can rack up a lot of $$$$ on "great deals". :( You can end up with a closet full of stuff you don't like or use.

+1 with Tipi & Bill on the handsewing. Can't remember what book or journal it was, but somebody named their pack "Frankenstein's Monster" because of the crudely sewn scars. :)

Just Bill
08-07-2014, 12:32
I always enjoy tugging on these broken plastic zips and and watching the whole zipper coil come out in a long strand.

You really need to get some miles in brother.;)

I believe FUBAR is the military term.

You like the pack, you like the price- go for it. It's definitely a $10 pack :), but so what, get some miles in and start saving your pennies.

Say hello to my little friend-
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Seam-Ripper/19757901
(or you can sit there all day and unravel the broken zipper thread by thread and laugh maniacally)

Get you one of these and rip out the stitches holding in the zipper. Or you can use it to get close in and cut off the existing zipper and just sew the new one right on the face of the pack like Walter says if you don't want to mess with the factory seams.

Tipi Walter
08-07-2014, 12:36
One time I was out on a winter trip when my down bag's zipper broke and I needed it in the cold so I just got my needle and dental floss and completely sewed the zipper shut so I had to crawl in from the top. Old sleeping bags used to be made w/o zippers, in fact.

So, you could just leave the broken zipper and sew the whole thing shut but leave a small opening with a safety pin/velcro to leave room for a hand to reach inside.

Dogwood
08-07-2014, 15:17
Where's the zipper located Afghan Vet? You MAY be able to eliminate the zipper and not have to splurge for a new zipper replacement which CAN be one of the more costly repairs a taylor or seamstress has done for me in my experience of fixing gear. For example, you MAY be able to do a DIY heavy velcro enclosure instead which is easier and significantly less costly, like if it's location is on the brain(the top lid of the backpack) and be mindful not to over stuff highly stressing that compartment. Some brains are also removable so you might have the option of doing away with that compartment w/ the broken zipper of the backpack.

Here's the backpack you're considering? http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hi-tec/tioga-65/

Wherever that zipper is it certainly does look like it needs a complete replacing OR something else alternatively might/could be worked out. I think it depends on where the zipper is. If it's the broken beyond repair central vertical zipper located on the rear compartment that's usually a high stressed zipper and needs to be replaced most likely with a new zipper which will run you about what Gambit McRae stated but I would think something like a heavy duty/commercial plastic/metal(brass/stainless, etc) zipper alone will be more than $10(based on JoAnn fabric prices). If the way the zipper is attached to the fabric doesn't require opening up excessive amount of seams and resewing yeah you prolly could have the work done for $20-30. Recognize this backpack was discontinued almost 5 yrs ago, originally cost between $80-$100, is somewhat on the heavier side, and, IMO, Hi-Tec, hasn't been in the backpacking biz for long.

AfghanVet
08-08-2014, 09:27
This one is an 85 liter pack but it is very similar to the one I have here that I can buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-TEC-INTERNAL-FRAME-HIKING-BACKPACK-SUPERNOVA-85-Adjustable-/181489316843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a419b33eb

The zipper is on the bottom pouch of the pack. The pack I have now is awesome, it was free and I love but it is MUUUUUCH bigger than this one :D

Rocket Jones
08-08-2014, 10:46
Take the pack to a tailor and ask what it would cost. Ask about supplying your own zipper and just having them sew it in. Around here, a lot of dry cleaners also do alterations and tailoring as well as shoe repair, so check around.

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 11:00
My sewing skilz are very basic, but I'd employ my favorite stitch on a new zipper...it's called a Gorilla stitch (http://ugly but strong).

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 11:00
...ugly but strong.

Dogwood
08-08-2014, 11:02
Sounds like the sleeping bag compartment zipper. Get a new zipper put in. +1 to all Rocket Jones said. That is exactly what I've done. That's the least expensive route next to a DIY fix that I know of. First, with the damaged pack in hand, have the dry cleaner tell you what kind of zipper you need for the fix and get a price fix quote if you provide the zipper. I have a Chinese dry cleaner in NJ who's wife takes on my repairs. She is always looking for side repair work at the dry cleaners. I took a chance on the quality of my first repair she did but now trust her repairs even with my high end pieces. And, even when I don't have her do my repairs her husband and her tell me what has to be done should I want to do a DIY fix. Nice folks.

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 11:07
This one is an 85 liter pack but it is very similar to the one I have here that I can buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-TEC-INTERNAL-FRAME-HIKING-BACKPACK-SUPERNOVA-85-Adjustable-/181489316843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a419b33eb

The zipper is on the bottom pouch of the pack. The pack I have now is awesome, it was free and I love but it is MUUUUUCH bigger than this one :Dya know, on another note you could just abandoned the zipper all together sew the whole thing shut permanent and top load. My pack has a sleeping bag compartment zipper at the base as well...I don't use for the most part and just stuff all my stuff in through the top. Doesn't have to be pretty...just strong and reliable so as not to loose items as you walk along...thad be bad...

Dogwood
08-08-2014, 11:32
Good possible idea Rocketsocls.

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 13:46
Good possible idea Rocketsocls.
Cool, my second one this year...dat ain't bad!:D