PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike Help

Dan Krull
08-07-2014, 16:43
Hello,

I am trying to plan a section hike for myself and my son for next summer. We would like to walk about 100 miles, or slightly more, and we would like to meet up with the rest of our family on their way to our annual family vacation in Massachusetts. To that end, a perfect finishing point would be October Mountain State Park, as it is near 90, and easy to find. I think we would prefer to walk from South to North, but we're open to opinions on either. I guess I'd like to hear your opinions on a good starting point that would help us achieve our 100 mile goal, but also any pointers on services, supplies, good stuff and bad in that section... If you'd like to share.

Any knowledge or pointers you'd like to share are appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Dan

PS I don't know what the banana signifies, but I clicked on it, because... well... how can you not?

Dan Krull
08-09-2014, 12:47
Crickets? :)

Deacon
08-09-2014, 13:13
If you don't already have the A.T. Guide, that would serve as an excellent way to determine entry and exit points on the trail. It gives all major road crossings. It also shows elevation profiles so you can estimate climbing difficulty.

Teacher & Snacktime
08-09-2014, 13:22
Hello,

I am trying to plan a section hike for myself and my son for next summer. We would like to walk about 100 miles, or slightly more, and we would like to meet up with the rest of our family on their way to our annual family vacation in Massachusetts. To that end, a perfect finishing point would be October Mountain State Park, as it is near 90, and easy to find. I think we would prefer to walk from South to North, but we're open to opinions on either. I guess I'd like to hear your opinions on a good starting point that would help us achieve our 100 mile goal, but also any pointers on services, supplies, good stuff and bad in that section... If you'd like to share.

Any knowledge or pointers you'd like to share are appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Dan

PS I don't know what the banana signifies, but I clicked on it, because... well... how can you not?

Snacktime and I don't hike much in the summer....too hot....but we do travel around a lot trying to help folks out and deliver magic. When you have your itinerary outline, message me and maybe we can arrange some assistance....shuttle, slack, etc. How old is your son? A day hike in the company of another kid might not be out of the question.