PDA

View Full Version : Changing when Hammock Camping?

simeo
08-07-2014, 19:51
This may seem silly, but my wife and I were weighing our options about maybe switching to hammock camping and she brought up a really good point... "Where do you change?"

I think as a woman this impacts her more but she makes a point. What do y'all do for some privacy?

kayak karl
08-07-2014, 19:58
in the hammock if you want. you have the ability to camp away from group also. we do a 4 day winter hang with 50+ in group (men women and children) Never had the topic brought up.

kayak karl
08-07-2014, 20:00

standing under tarp you are covered up.

dla
08-07-2014, 20:34
Change?

Anywho, I don't camp that close to my tenting buddies for it to be an issue. And 99% of the time I'm solo.

dink
08-07-2014, 20:38
usually I am far enough away from others that I just stand out in the open and change...if there are others around I stand under my tarp. :)

simeo
08-07-2014, 21:21
Oh wow Karl, your tarp looks different from other hammock setups I've seen. More like a hammock inside a tent. In which case that would make more sense. :D

Thanks for the input!

kayak karl
08-07-2014, 21:39
that's a custom 11'-8'8" cuben tarp from z-pack

Tuckahoe
08-07-2014, 22:07
And a link to the Zpack tarp -- http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml

Hammock Gear -- http://www.hammockgear.com/standard-cuben-fiber-tarp-with-doors/

If cuben fiber is not an option a few other vendors have tarps with door flaps..

Wilderness Logics -- http://wildernesslogics.com/Oldman-Winter-Oldman-Winter.htm

Warbonnet Outdoors -- http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/

Both companies also have door kits.

Wise Old Owl
08-07-2014, 22:12
uh WHAT change? in a Hennessy keep in mind you can open the velco and stand - you can side sleep and use it as a chair.

Serious you can get changed in a hammock... she will figure it out. Some folk do stand outside of the hammock - only the chipmunks giggle.

Dogwood
08-07-2014, 22:36
"Some folk do stand outside of the hammock - only the chipmunks giggle." LOL LOL

KK that hang looks like it took place in the Pine Barrens possibly at the Carranza Memorial on the Batona Tr?

Likeapuma
08-08-2014, 08:12
I've ever had an issue. Just like a tent, I just put on my "undergarments" in the hammock... Covered by my sleeping bag.

You could always get doors for your tarps? I bought one for my WL Big Daddy (mainly for inclement weather)

perdidochas
08-08-2014, 10:47
This may seem silly, but my wife and I were weighing our options about maybe switching to hammock camping and she brought up a really good point... "Where do you change?"

I think as a woman this impacts her more but she makes a point. What do y'all do for some privacy?

Well, if it's just you and your wife, change wherever you like. I hammock camp with the scouts, so it just depends on my mood. I have changed totally in my hammock, not getting out of it. Other than that , my tarp is big enough that unless someone is at just the right angle, I can change underneath it.

perdidochas
08-08-2014, 10:50
If you're in a campground, just change in the bathroom.

To add to the above post, I have a tarp of about the size Kayak Karl has.

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 10:50
The only thing I ever change is my socks.

Wülfgang
08-08-2014, 11:33
I have the Superfly tarp from Warbonnet, with doors.

Warbonnet Outdoors -- http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/

If you pitch it high enough you can basically stand under it.

simeo
08-08-2014, 14:25
I appreciate the input! My wife is leaning heavy to staying with tent camping instead of hammocks. It'll be a matter of me convincing her hammocks are a good idea. We'll see how it goes.

squeezebox
08-08-2014, 21:46
For that matter what about changing in a shelter?

kayak karl
08-08-2014, 21:59
"Some folk do stand outside of the hammock - only the chipmunks giggle." LOL LOL

KK that hang looks like it took place in the Pine Barrens possibly at the Carranza Memorial on the Batona Tr?

Yes, Batona camp near Carranza. think that pic was the 4th Annual Pine Barrens Hang last weekend of January. This year is the 8th.

these are on a Batona hike. Same camp.

as much privacy as tent.

kayak karl
08-08-2014, 22:00
last pic is a JRB 9-11 tarp

simeo
08-08-2014, 22:10
Thanks Karl, I was wondering what tarp that was. Very cool indeed. I'll show the pictures to my wife.

Wise Old Owl
08-08-2014, 22:27
Yes, Batona camp near Carranza. think that pic was the 4th Annual Pine Barrens Hang last weekend of January. This year is the 8th.

these are on a Batona hike. Same camp.

as much privacy as tent.

wow I have been there several times in the last year!

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 23:26
wow I have been there several times in the last year!
How'd ya like the burned out Forrest fire area, pretty impressive...take any pics.

gunner76
08-09-2014, 00:21
Attend a group hang where you and the wife can check out lots of different setups. Chances are excellent that there will some lady hangers there and she can talk to them.

If someone wants to watch me while I am changing is responsible for any mental damage they may suffer as a result.

Theosus
08-09-2014, 14:28
I usually change under the top quilt in the hammock. If you throw the top quilt over the ridge line you get a bit more room than just in the hammock under the quilt. I know people have to be thinking I'm wrestling a bear or something in the hammock sometimes, between changing and getting my liner under me, there's quite a bit of thrashing around I do at night and in the morning. of course the rule at night is, as soon as you're comfortable and warm, you have to get up and pee.

simeo
08-09-2014, 19:25
.....of course the rule at night is, as soon as you're comfortable and warm, you have to get up and pee.

It's been one of those days. :o

kayak karl
08-09-2014, 19:45
when you do get into hammocking you won't be worrying about who sees your butt, but keeping your butt warm ;)

simeo
08-09-2014, 20:19
when you do get into hammocking you won't be worrying about who sees your butt, but keeping your butt warm ;)

Well she's concerned about privacy. I'm more concerned about mosquitoes. We have them pretty bad this time of year here in GA.

Wise Old Owl
08-09-2014, 23:13
How'd ya like the burned out Forrest fire area, pretty impressive...take any pics.

Nah I take lots of picks - except dead wood!

Ever did the April Fools Hike?

Country Roads
08-19-2014, 10:55
Drop the tarp sides down and change. If you are with friends, let them know that you are changing. If your tarp has "doors", drop the slides down and close the doors. It is actually faster and easier to clean up and change under a tarp (well, cuben tarps are another story) and you don't have to be a contortionist like you would in a tent. I carry a cuben rain poncho from z-packs. It is actually very easy to clean up and change underneath the poncho also. If in a local area, I just head off into the woods and change.
I am a female and really don't see any difference whether you are a man or a woman, everyone's gotta clean up and change sometime. "Most" people will be sensitive to the other people they are with and give them privacy when needed.

simeo
08-19-2014, 21:29
Alright, I'm going to get a 12x12 tarp for the top. I'm sure all will be well.

How do you keep your butt warm? I laid in a hammock the other day in the middle of the day and I could already feel my backside get cold.

I'm going to guess there is a certain time of year where y'all just stop using the hammock?

kayak karl
08-19-2014, 21:44
been down to -10 in mine. Quilts, you will need quilts.

That's a 11-9 tarp, diy hammock, TEWA 0 degree 3/4 quilt, with 0 degree JRB wearable top quilt. only got t 3 the night before.

simeo
08-20-2014, 12:09
been down to -10 in mine. Quilts, you will need quilts.....

That's a 11-9 tarp, diy hammock, TEWA 0 degree 3/4 quilt, with 0 degree JRB wearable top quilt. only got t 3 the night before.

That's a nice looking setup....

Err, the picture begs two more questions:

1) What do you do about stepping down? Sandels in the hammock with you? How do make sure dirt/snow covered sandels don't mess up your sleeping area?

2) Have you ever hiked with a dog? Where does it sleep?

perdidochas
08-21-2014, 11:52
Alright, I'm going to get a 12x12 tarp for the top. I'm sure all will be well.

How do you keep your butt warm? I laid in a hammock the other day in the middle of the day and I could already feel my backside get cold.

I'm going to guess there is a certain time of year where y'all just stop using the hammock?

You can use a closed-cell sleeping pad for bottom insulation. The ideal, though, is an underquilt, which is basically a partial sleeping bag hung underneath the hammock.