PDA

View Full Version : Indian Food

Tuckahoe
08-08-2014, 09:23
I love some chicken tikka masala and would love to make some up for a hike, so I was wondering if anyone else has given this or anyother "Indian" style foods a try. What I am interested in though is dehydrating my own rice and sauce and using either foil/canned chicken or freeze dried chicken, so that all I need to do is re-hydrate. Of course the main concern is the yogurt and the fat content, which I am assuming would have a shorter shelf life. And I am wondering how a low fat yogurt would work out.

I am kinda thinking out loud, but I would not mind others thoughts and other types of Indian food tried on a hike.

Tipi Walter
08-08-2014, 10:33
I used to dehydrate goat yogurt into "fruit leather" sheets and took a couple ziplocks of the stuff. It can be chewed like taffy or reconstituted with water, hot water preferably.

As far as Indian food goes, well, I went on a Tasty Bite jag several years ago and then started drying each Tasty Bite meal at home which works good.

I know you won't want to do this but it works great for backpacking trips---

Take your rice and sauce and chicken etc and put it all in a blender and add enough water to get it thoroughly blended and liquefied and then place on your silicone drier sheets. Peel off when dry and fold into ziplock bags. Reconstitute in boiling water and let sit in a pot cozy for 30 minutes. Voila---chicken and rice soup.

Feral Bill
08-08-2014, 12:52
I've cooked lentils on my Svea stove successfully. Served up with naan they were delicious. It takes time and attention.

rocketsocks
08-08-2014, 12:57
I seem to remember a thread or post not long ago where someone actually made yogurt on the trail...couldn't tell ya how they did it though. hmm.

Just Bill
08-08-2014, 13:40
Tuck-
I looked at this recipe for reference- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-tikka-masala/

In this version at least-
The yogurt is only used as part of the marinade- so after grilling the chicken- it's not part of the recipe. You mentioned using package chicken anyway, so non factor.

You could skip the butter, and simply saute the garlic and jalapeno in a non-stick pan. A little oil is probably fine too, but this is an easy spot to eliminate fat.

Then there's the cream... Up to you. Two options-
When I make cream sauce at my house, I just use 2% Milk to cut calories. In this recipe seems like the fat content is minimal overall.

Skip the cream(use powdered), or use the cream (make the meal just prior to leaving, figure a short shelf life).

Either way, a general recommendation for sauce based meals-

whatever grain you plan to use (rice in this case)- simmer the grain in the sauce PRIOR to drying it. The grain will absorb a good amount of the flavor, likely draw any fats into it for better stability.
I strain out the grain, and dry the sauce and grain seperately- but Tipi's blender trick gives you all the flavor and nutrition without the extra trouble. (at the cost of texture)

For this recipe- maybe rehydrate a little sauce, cook/simmer the pouch chicken for a bit- then toss in the grain, sauce, and additional water to get the final result.

Overall- seems like a pretty safe pick that I'd like to try myself.
Good luck.

Tuckahoe
08-08-2014, 14:08
Thanks Bill. this is the version of tikka masala that I want to shoot for with a cream based tomato sauce --
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/chicken-in-creamy-tomato-curry-chicken-tikka-masala-recipe2.html

I can skip the marinade. I can probably make the tomato sauce and then dry it without the cream. Then when its time to cook, I can add the dehydrated rice, sauce, Nido or some other dairy type powder and the chicken.

That should work...

martinb
08-08-2014, 14:25
Biryani ought to easy to bring along. Add some ova easy for protein.

Another Kevin
08-08-2014, 14:43
I don't know about tikka masala, but I often do some sort of dal bhaat tarkari on the trail.

Instant rice and home dehydrated lentils in one freezer bag, and then dehydrated or freeze-dried vegetables, maybe some dried mango or raisins or other dried fruit, maybe some coconut or cashews, a little olive oil, enough water to reconstitute, cornstarch to thicken it, and coriander, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger, garlic, mace, black, white and red peppers, asafoetida, turmeric. If the veggies have been soaking, this just needs to come to a boil and thicken and then you can pour it over the rice and lentils. Throw in some pouch chicken if you like, although rice and lentils have complete protein so it's fine as a vegetarian dish too. One of these years I have to get good at recognizing dagad phool (also called kalpaasi). Some of my Indian friends tell me it grows wild in the woods around here, and it's supposed to lend a nice flavor to curries.

Dogwood
08-08-2014, 14:47
You might consider substituting this for the yogurt. Might add to the flavor too. It's not exactly a low fat substitute though.
http://www.iherb.com/Edward-Sons-Organic-Creamed-Coconut-7-oz-200-g/39732?gclid=COHLtpyphMACFQto7AodyzAArw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Goat yogurt fruit leather is an interesting creative idea though.

Mags
08-08-2014, 15:24
So..where are you eating so that I may join you???? :D

Dogwood
08-08-2014, 16:03
So..where are you eating so that I may join you???? :D

When I want to splurge I hit up the Boulder Farmer's Market then Sherpas on Walnut St or for a pig fest the lunch buffet at Tandoori Grill on Broadway. Right after the Farmers market and a little lawn frisbee down by the creek we sometimes opt for Ethiopian Food at Queen of Shebas, Arada, or Africana Cafe. Of course, no visit to this area is complete without a visit to the downtown street performers and the GoLite Outlet.:D

Mags
08-08-2014, 16:11
I love Sherpa's..mmm mmm Good stuff.

http://www.sherpasrestaurant.com/