PDA

View Full Version : Temps in GA now...October

Smile
10-07-2005, 18:33
Anybody been up into N GA and have a temp report for what's up there now, I can always look it up on local news, but wondering about in the mtns. Any info?

MOWGLI
10-07-2005, 19:48
Anybody been up into N GA and have a temp report for what's up there now, I can always look it up on local news, but wondering about in the mtns. Any info?
The first "real" cold front of the fall season is passing through tonight. Thank goodness!! There will finally be a nip in the air.

Smile
10-07-2005, 23:23
Thanks! Nippy is good.

Almost There
10-07-2005, 23:48
Low seventies daytime, low fifties at night

Nightwalker
10-08-2005, 06:35
The first "real" cold front of the fall season is passing through tonight. Thank goodness!! There will finally be a nip in the air.
Woowoo! My pack is packed! 29.5 pounds with food, water and Lekis. I don't think it's cold enough to add the polypros yet. I've got a capilene for the top and Frog Toggs top and bottom and a 30 degree down bag. I don't think that'll be a problem. If so, too freakin' bad. Too tired to re-pack. Mebbe add a stocking cap...

I'll be sleeping on the AT tonight.

Nightwalker
10-08-2005, 06:38
Low seventies daytime, low fifties at night
Ahh heck. I was hoping for a lot colder when I read Li'l Bear's report. Oh well. Still good sleeping in the 50s.

I hope I haven't thrown anyone for a loop, but I recently asked Troll to change my screen name from franklooper to my trailname. I earned it fair and square, after all...

Kerosene
10-08-2005, 17:54
Nightwalker, consider extending your the tag line after your screen name to read "Hiker-Guy formerly known as franklooper".

Newb
10-09-2005, 11:04
I'll be heading to Springer in a week and half or so and doing an overnight.

Valmet
10-17-2005, 15:24
No the weather is terrible in Georgia, you need to go north. Yeah that's the ticket, go north. :-)

The weather is starting to be absolutly perfect. This past weekend a friend of mine went to north Georgia and said it was just incredible.

Two Speed
10-17-2005, 15:29
Anybody been up into N GA and have a temp report for what's up there now, I can always look it up on local news, but wondering about in the mtns. Any info?This isn't a specific response, but Thru-hiker has a great planning tool at:
http://www.thru-hiker.com/temporal.asp
I use this to get an idea of what the range of temps I can expect for section hikes as I plan them. Don't forget to bias for altitude; generally drop 3 to 5 degrees for each 1,000 feet.

Smile
10-17-2005, 16:19
Thanks for the input, just got back from my weekend hike Tray Mtn - Dicks Creek Gap - weather was terrific, low 50's at night and a bright grandfather moon....

Nightwalker
10-19-2005, 00:07
Last week in Ga, the weather was 70s to 60s according to elevation. Nights were 50s to low 40s, again, elevation dependent.

It was wonderful hiking weather. Hopefully, the smokies are next!

Drala Hiker
10-19-2005, 00:33
I was camping near Slaughter Cove/Blood Mtn. Sunday night, had some light frost. Brasstown Bald (4,784 ft) remote weather station reported temps in low 30s. Temps have moderated considerably today, but clear weather still for next few days.

I often check this link for mountain weather before heading up from ATL for a hike. Here's the weather link: http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_table_mesowest.cgi?stn=BRSG1&unit=0&time=LOCAL

There are also 2 live web cams during daylight hours, facing north and south - the US flag is a good wind indicator, and I can tell if the mountains are socked in fog, or snow/ice: http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/conditions/webcam.htm

Frosty
10-20-2005, 21:41
Thanks for the input, just got back from my weekend hike Tray Mtn - Dicks Creek Gap - weather was terrific, low 50's at night and a bright grandfather moon....Enjoyed your trip report. I'm heading south tomorrow for a compromise vacation. Two weeks in Orlando (my wife's pick) followed by a week in north Georgia mtns (my pick). Hope to re-visit some of the nice spots I hiked this past spring, but will likely just dayhike.