PDA

View Full Version : AT License Plate?

Odd Man Out
08-08-2014, 22:00
Was at Hager Park this PM and saw a car with lots of AT bumper stickers and a custom license plate that said "AT HYKR". I wondered if the owner is here on WB or if anyone else has or has seen custom AT plate?

magneto
08-08-2014, 22:32
How about this? The ATC was one of the sponsors (as I recall):

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/09/a8e9e9yz.jpg

bert304
08-09-2014, 07:40
I like that

Roanmtnman
08-09-2014, 11:13
Subaru drivers luv the outdoors! Owned 3 myself!

rickb
08-09-2014, 16:31
I saw a similar car (perhaps the same one) in Massachusetts driven by a young woman. I figure she was hired by LNT to do outreach and education.

LNT is more than just a slogan. They are a non profit organization with over $1 million in annual revenue and expenses and a payroll of around $500,000 -- only about $120,000 of which goes to their top executive. Plenty left to have people driving around and getting the word out.

I am sure Subaru helped out a great deal with the car-- probably donated it out right.

rocketsocks
08-09-2014, 16:54
Subaru drivers luv the outdoors! Owned 3 myself!Wish they'd come back out with the "Out back" wagon...old style, good vehicle, great in snow.

Odd Man Out
08-09-2014, 17:10
Wish they'd come back out with the "Out back" wagon...old style, good vehicle, great in snow.

They still have the Outback, don't they? The one in the picture seems to be an Crosstrek. That seems to be new. Don't recall seeing them before. Pretty sharp. The Forester isn't as ugly as it used to be either.

bigcranky
08-09-2014, 20:18
We're looking at Subarus right now. Like all other compact cars, they've grown a lot over the years - the Forester is now much larger than the old Outback was, and the Outback is even larger. The Crosstrek is smaller, sort of like the original Outback. Of all of them, the Forester hits the sweet spot for me for size, capacity, driving comfort, and price. It will eventually replace my Yukon when that beast dies, but for now my wife will drive it and we'll use it for travel.

Another Kevin
08-10-2014, 21:25
We're looking at Subarus right now. Like all other compact cars, they've grown a lot over the years - the Forester is now much larger than the old Outback was, and the Outback is even larger. The Crosstrek is smaller, sort of like the original Outback. Of all of them, the Forester hits the sweet spot for me for size, capacity, driving comfort, and price. It will eventually replace my Yukon when that beast dies, but for now my wife will drive it and we'll use it for travel.

I got a Forester this spring and love it. It's better on nasty roads than the Outback. It's got a shorter wheelbase and about an inch more ground clearance. It replaces my rusted-out hulk of a Ford Explorer. I wouldn't try technical rock crawling with it, but I've had it a few trips on roads with more than the customary counterpart of mud, rocks and roots.

Marta
08-11-2014, 09:04
When I lived in NC I had an AT plate that said "SOBO." At Trail Days I saw its cousin, "NOBO."

I no longer live in NC. I don't know if SOBO is now available, or not.

saltysack
08-11-2014, 09:37
When I lived in NC I had an AT plate that said "SOBO." At Trail Days I saw its cousin, "NOBO."

I no longer live in NC. I don't know if SOBO is now available, or not.

U lucky dog.....live and lived in my 2 favorite places!!

Cosmo
08-11-2014, 19:44
Pennsylvania just started an "AT" license plate program. This was a long time in the making. OK you Sylians, get 'em while they're fresh. Proceeds go to the Trail.

Cosmo

captike
08-11-2014, 21:32
I got a Forester this spring and love it. It's better on nasty roads than the Outback. It's got a shorter wheelbase and about an inch more ground clearance. It replaces my rusted-out hulk of a Ford Explorer. I wouldn't try technical rock crawling with it, but I've had it a few trips on roads with more than the customary counterpart of mud, rocks and roots.

As a side note, they're incredibly strong vehicles (which you may be aware of) which also translates to incredibly safe. I work for the fire department and anytime we have to extricate someone out of a Subaru, we know it's going to be more work than usual. The B-posts (the vertical support between the front and back doors) in those cars are ridiculously strong. Actually the Forester's B-post has 7 or 8 layers of folded sheet metal along with a solid rod of boron for strength. Here's a pick of it. It's crazy.
http://drive2.subaru.com/Sum06/WhatsInside/CrossSection_Photo.jpg

JumpMaster Blaster
08-12-2014, 01:36
NC has an AT license plate as well, and I actually see a particular one just about every other day going to work. I thought about getting one to support the cause and because they're pretty as all get out.

JumpMaster Blaster
08-12-2014, 01:40
Link to the State AT plates:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/donate/more-ways-to-donate/specialty-license-plate

Deer Hunter
08-12-2014, 09:27
Here's mine.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/3/6/3/3/wildcat_ridge_loop_hike_005.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=55487&original=1&catid=member&imageuser=23633)

rocketsocks
08-12-2014, 09:30
Nice one Deer Hunter. I've often considered a personal plate...but seem to forget about it come registration time...bad time to be forgetful. :D

Deer Hunter
08-12-2014, 09:50
Nice one Deer Hunter. I've often considered a personal plate...but seem to forget about it come registration time...bad time to be forgetful. :D

People around here that don't hike think it says, "a thinker".

saltysack
08-12-2014, 09:51
Nice yota also.... Can't best em....only wish better gas milage..hear toy will be putting a 4 cyl diesel in soon...should get close to 30 mpg as in south/Central American models...

Odd Man Out
08-12-2014, 09:52
The VA plate has McAfee Knob on it. What a surprise.:rolleyes:

johnnybgood
08-12-2014, 10:03
Here in Virginia just about any vanity plate is possible.
Shenandoah Nat'l Park has several different plate designs.

rocketsocks
08-12-2014, 10:48
People around here that don't hike think it says, "a thinker".
Ha, now that's kinda funny, though I guess it affords you the opportunity for an AT plug.

maptester
08-12-2014, 10:59
We got the Georgia AT license plate last year because at least some of the fee goes to maintain the trail and it seems to be one of the least ugly GA license plates.

slbirdnerd
08-12-2014, 12:30
I have a new Outback and I love it.

My license plate is AT49HK. People think that's a vanity plate but it isn't! Just luck.

Odd Man Out
08-12-2014, 13:12
I have a new Outback and I love it.

My license plate is AT49HK. People think that's a vanity plate but it isn't! Just luck.

Did shop for a Subaru once. I really liked them a lot, but thought the gas mileage was low. But then bought a Highlander which wasn't any better on gas mileage (probably worse). Needed to be able to tow a camping trailer though.

Jeff
08-12-2014, 13:38
You can see our plate around Manchester Center, Vermont every summer:

Rolls Kanardly
08-12-2014, 13:54
How about a plate for the front end of your vehicle that does not belong to any one state for those of us who live out of the AT zone.

I had a Boilermaker plate on the front of my truck for years.
I would sure like to get an AT plate for my 1998 Tahoe.

Rolls

Alligator
08-12-2014, 14:27
How about a plate for the front end of your vehicle that does not belong to any one state for those of us who live out of the AT zone.

RollsHere's a few (https://www.google.com/search?q=appalachian+trail+license+plate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#channel=fflb&q=appalachian+trail+license+plate&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop).

ATC carries a license plate frame (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?atcmem=0&itemid=419&compid=1).

captike
08-12-2014, 16:08
We got the Georgia AT license plate last year because at least some of the fee goes to maintain the trail and it seems to be one of the least ugly GA license plates.

That's awesome! I wish we could get that in FL...

captike
08-12-2014, 16:09

Rolls
I've got a vinyl cutter. What would you like? :)

Deer Hunter
08-12-2014, 17:19
Nice yota also.... Can't best em....only wish better gas milage..hear toy will be putting a 4 cyl diesel in soon...should get close to 30 mpg as in south/Central American models...

Love yotas. Not my first and won't be my last.

saltysack
08-12-2014, 17:21
1-67 landcruiser
2-97 landcruiser
1-2010 taco Trd 4x4 crewcab

Great trucks

Deer Hunter
08-12-2014, 17:22
Ha, now that's kinda funny, though I guess it affords you the opportunity for an AT plug.

Yes it does. Not everyone lives and breathes hiking like us. Strange people in the world, huh? :)

rocketsocks
08-12-2014, 17:37
Yes it does. Not everyone lives and breathes hiking like us. Strange people in the world, huh? :)
I'm just here to keep up with my typing skills, one of these days I might actually go for a hike.:D

BuckeyeBill
08-13-2014, 02:09
I had an uncle that used our Ohio address to get a personalized license plate that he couldn't get in Pennsylvania. Now I wish I had relatives in Georgia to get me a set of AT plates.

slbirdnerd
08-13-2014, 08:24

Rolls

That would be great, if Ohio wasn't about the only state left wasting resources on front friggin license plates! :)

slbirdnerd
08-13-2014, 08:28
Did shop for a Subaru once. I really liked them a lot, but thought the gas mileage was low. But then bought a Highlander which wasn't any better on gas mileage (probably worse). Needed to be able to tow a camping trailer though.

I get a consistent 30 mpg, which is way better than the dumb Dodge Journey I had which hovered on either side of 20. But no, can't tow much with the Outback, a pop up or one of the newer small trailers--been looking. It can handle about 3000 lbs but with a 16' trailer at 2700, add your stuff, and you're pushing it.

saltysack
08-13-2014, 08:36
I get a consistent 30 mpg, which is way better than the dumb Dodge Journey I had which hovered on either side of 20. But no, can't tow much with the Outback, a pop up or one of the newer small trailers--been looking. It can handle about 3000 lbs but with a 16' trailer at 2700, add your stuff, and you're pushing it.

30 mpg sounds a lot better than my 4x4 tacoma @ 19-20 mpg hwy....under 70 mph....love my truck but really starting to like the newer outbacks..if Toyota doesn't come with efficient clean diesel may be switching.....

Odd Man Out
08-13-2014, 12:13

Actually our trailer is just a pop-up, maybe 2000 lbs plus all the gear I cram in it. 30 mph is pretty good. But it's unlikely I'll be shopping for a new car in the future. Haven't had it out in a couple of years. Maybe next summer after my wife retires we'll have more time.

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 12:23
Not sure if it popped up or this is a WB'er.
In Shenandoah area around 2012 I came across a Prius with an AT plate that read backpacker. (spelling was a LP version)
I have a great photo- but it's too great- and you can see sticker number and too much other info to post it.

Odd Man Out
08-13-2014, 13:29
Not sure if it popped up or this is a WB'er.
In Shenandoah area around 2012 I came across a Prius with an AT plate that read backpacker. (spelling was a LP version)
I have a great photo- but it's too great- and you can see sticker number and too much other info to post it.

You could crop it? Still wish I could have made contact with the guy/gal at the park whose car I saw. If they are here, they are a serious stalker.

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 14:32
Not saying anything against yourself fella- but I personally feel a bit weird posting somebodies car/LP/personal info. Not a big deal at all, not sure what the hell someone could even do with that info really but...

Laurie P likely knows whose car it is, can't imagine there are many around and that's enough info for the owner to take credit if they wish.

I was very jealous. Though as the basic plate fee grates my teeth, paying a premium on top of it means I'll likely not duplicate the choice.

LIhikers
08-14-2014, 01:37
OK, while we're extoling the virtues of a Subaru, my 2002 Forester has a bit more than 305,000 miles and still runs good. Had the heads done once, had the Cat Converter replaced once, and all the rest was just normal routine maintenance. It's comfortable and is a good size for 90% of the driving I do. Hard to beat.

bigcranky
10-16-2014, 09:42
My wife got her new Subraru last month, and decided to put an AT plate on it (after several years of hemming and hawing about a specialty plate.) It just arrived yesterday:

She's real happy with it :) The Forester is a nice little car, seems to be just about right for two people traveling.

Odd Man Out
10-16-2014, 21:40
My wife got her new Subraru last month, and decided to put an AT plate on it (after several years of hemming and hawing about a specialty plate.) It just arrived yesterday:

She's real happy with it :) The Forester is a nice little car, seems to be just about right for two people traveling.

Like+1.....

QHShowoman
10-16-2014, 22:31
Here's the scoop on the "Leave No Trace" Subaru:
https://lnt.org/blog/we-are-hiring-applicants-wanted

lal2wx
11-09-2014, 14:17
I had an uncle that used our Ohio address to get a personalized license plate that he couldn't get in Pennsylvania. Now I wish I had relatives in Georgia to get me a set of AT plates.

Haha I had a family member from Ohio use my VA address to get a Shenandoah vanity plate.

And Go Bucks! How about that win last night:)

greentick
11-09-2014, 17:37

Unless something changed I don't think any of that goes to the GATC. Any GATC'ers can verify? The original intent was for $10 per plate to go to the GATC but I think it ended up in the general fund. Prolly to study traffic patterns in the GAMA or something:rolleyes:

Jeff
11-09-2014, 21:05
Unless something changed I don't think any of that goes to the GATC. Any GATC'ers can verify? The original intent was for $10 per plate to go to the GATC but I think it ended up in the general fund. Prolly to study traffic patterns in the GAMA or something:rolleyes:

GATC indeed get some money...read about it here: http://georgia-atclub.org/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152&Itemid=733

greentick
11-09-2014, 21:36
GATC indeed get some money...read about it here: http://georgia-atclub.org/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=152&Itemid=733

Good deal. Allegedly there were 2 other people in Camden County who had one, haven't seen any other than mine.

Grampsb
11-10-2014, 10:59
I've seen several Tennessee AT plates in the Elizabethton, Johnson City area and I have one myself

Speakeasy TN
11-10-2014, 12:22
I'm kind of proud of my TN plate. We had to presell 1000 or 1500 to get them and mine is 889. I get a comment every couple of weeks. Off trail magic!

RED-DOG
11-10-2014, 13:26
Here in NC all you need to do is go into the tag office and order one their about as easy to get as a regular tag, I have two and my girlfriend has one.