PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Loop info

Hot Flash
08-10-2014, 21:32
How is the water supply this year along this loop, especially the DRT section? Planning on doing it next week or the week after. Also, if anyone here has done it this year, how are the trail conditions, if you'd care to share?

Thanks in advance!

flemdawg1
08-11-2014, 11:25
What is the Georgia Loop?

FatMan
08-11-2014, 11:56
What is the Georgia Loop?A loop made by parts of the BMT, DRT, & AT.

Water remains OK here in North GA, but all sources are slowing. The DRT is always tough for water in the late summer.

PM "Dances with Mice" for an update. I believe he is the trail maintainer for that section.

Astro
08-11-2014, 16:33
What is the DRT?

Sugarfoot
08-11-2014, 17:11
Duncan Ridge Trail. It's a razor back ridge trail and is tough. It almost became the AT when it was proposed to extend the Blue Ridge Parkway into Georgia. I did the DRT in October several years ago and it was dry. I was grateful to come down to Wolfpen Gap where a feed tent had been erected for The Ride of Five Gaps. They graciously filled my Camelback and fed me too.

Wild Blue
08-11-2014, 21:24
I did the Georgia Loop this past June. The DRT was not difficult to follow but vegetation had narrowed it to a very narrow tread, especially on the western portion. Trekking poles were very useful for pushing asside thorns, briars, and poison ivy that sometimes crowded the narrow path. My feet/boots were always wet on the DRT due to the plantlife but again it was not difficult at all to follow the trail. The BMT and AT seemed like a superhighway in comparison though. If you have Sgt Rocks BMT guide it has a section of the DRT in it that will give you water sources, campsites, and elevation profile. I found water in all the indicated sites. I really enjoyed the loop, I started and finished at Byron Reece near Neels Gap, hiking counter clockwise spending four nights on the trail. Hope you have a great time too.

Hot Flash
08-12-2014, 14:49
Thanks, Wild Blue!