PDA

View Full Version : PCT Record

Lone Wolf
08-11-2014, 16:27
http://nwpr.org/post/seattle-runner-smashes-speed-record-full-length-pacific-crest-trail#.U-jxsLaK5Jc.facebook

Dogwood
08-11-2014, 17:58
Did he pee while standing up too?

Dogwood
08-11-2014, 18:03
How about when pooping?

colorado_rob
08-11-2014, 18:30
How about when pooping??????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????

Awesome feat of stamina. And only 23 years old.

There's yet another attempt at the Colorado 14er speed record, set back in 2003 at 10 days 20 hours for 55 14ers. There have been two serious attempts in the last couple years, both cut short with injuries. This latest attempt is from a guy with a seriously good resume.

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=44283&p=540877#p540877

Fun stuff to follow! Even with all the rampant cynicism.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2014, 18:41
Did he pee while standing up too?
explain.....

fiddlehead
08-11-2014, 21:12
Beating the record by 6 days, in these days of all the fast runner/hikers, is truly amazing.
I'm especially impressed about the times his support crew wasn't at the road crossings, so he just kept going anyway, relying on help from strangers and the occasional lending of a sleeping bag???
That takes some guts to keep going.
Sometimes the PCT can be long distances between roads, and to go out there without food or sleeping bag is one tough dude!

Malto
08-11-2014, 21:46
Hats off to him. Fifty a day, for 53 days is moving. Hopefully there will be some documentation on the daily splits. I would love to see how consistent his days were.

Dogwood
08-12-2014, 00:44
He was a guy so I strongly suspect he peed while standing up. I had my mind on Anish who peed standing up to save energy and time. From A Ghost Among Us Backpacker August 2014, pg 102: "Bunting(Clint "Lint" Bunting) has seen a lot of things on a lot of trails, but when Anish caught him, her time and energy saving tricks still took him by surprise. She pees standing up, for one,...to avoid squatting and putting pressure on her legs." This is about him though. Well done Joe McConaughy

DandT40
08-12-2014, 10:39
Nice. Pretty amazing effort. If anyone does find more information about his splits and his hike in general please post it up. He had a spot (or some type of gps tracker) the article says so there should be some good data for the number junkies to go over!

garlic08
08-12-2014, 12:41
I'm spending a few weeks in Seattle on vacation, and when the talk turns to hiking, I've heard a couple of random people around town talk about Joe. Congratulations to him.

The article mentioned that when meetings with the support team didn't work out, he just kept going. That's the attitude of a record-breaker, and one of the many things that set him apart from the rest of us.

I think it equally impressive that he raised $27,000 for cancer.

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 12:19
Personally not as into the supported hikes- but very impressive- and his video clips and other info shared is worth a look for any hiker. If you weren't following along it's worth spinning through his timeline on facebook or catching up with the website.
http://www.runforcolin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/RunForColin

Plus 100 on Garlic's comment. I'm not a big fan of charity hikes, but this one was done tastefully and successfully IMO. He cracked his 30k goal recently.

A great hike and a hearty congrats all around.

rocketsocks
08-13-2014, 13:07
In a recent thread about the Biography of Earl Shaffer I read where Earl, I think read an article about the AT and in that article it said that the trail couldn't be hiked in one years time, and that that was the driving force for him to undertake such a quest....for me this sheds new light on the whole "time taken to do the trail thing" and for me now makes more since, funny how we spin things is it not?

lemon b
08-13-2014, 15:49
Actually I'm having a hard time believing.

Violent Green
08-13-2014, 21:14
Actually I'm having a hard time believing.

I'm sure it's all legit, but me too. I haven't looked at all the background of the hike yet though.

Ryan

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 21:21
I'm sure it's all legit, but me too. I haven't looked at all the background of the hike yet though.

Ryan

Lol- Ryan- just put two and two together to get TX-07:)

I'm with you on this one as well- anything can be faked I suppose, but pretty solid timeline on FB, articles, photos- and SPOT data to follow.

Socks-
Technically- Sai Shaffer was a speed hiker and set the first FKT. But regardless of the technical details- going out to do something that others say can't be done- usually qualifies you. An eggselent observation.

Dogwood
08-13-2014, 22:37
Those 50 mile days are easy. :D It's stringing one after the other after the.....that always gets me. :D LOL

Odd Man Out
08-13-2014, 23:23
Those 50 mile days are easy. :D It's stringing one after the other after the.....that always gets me. :D LOL

Kind of like the difference between me and a professional golfer. Getting a birdie isn't all that hard. I do it at least once every year.

Violent Green
08-15-2014, 12:07
Lol- Ryan- just put two and two together to get TX-07:).

Lol. Took me a minute but I finally caught on. Small world.

Ryan