PDA

View Full Version : On Trail Budget

Farren
08-11-2014, 18:10
I am working out my budget for the next five months and trying to figure out something for when I am hiking. I was hoping that I could get some examples of on trail budgets. :D

sympathetic joy
08-11-2014, 18:18
I think the rule of thumb is $1000 a month. Its nearly impossible to give an example because each person does things differently. Some might spend 2 or 3 nights a week in some sort of motel or hostel. Others might spend 1 night a month.

AmputeeHiker
08-11-2014, 18:25
I am planning on being in town very little. I want to stay as close to the trail as possible. If a hostel is with in walking distance of the trail I will stay there if possible, or split with other hikers of course. Budget's are tricky because you never know how things will turn out but, if you stay in your tent/shelter most of the time and are frugal but effective with your food you can keep costs down. Looks like beer and hotel stays are the biggest expense on trail! LOL

Farren
08-11-2014, 18:25
I think the rule of thumb is $1000 a month. Its nearly impossible to give an example because each person does things differently. Some might spend 2 or 3 nights a week in some sort of motel or hostel. Others might spend 1 night a month.
Yeah I'm working on less than that and will be putting money aside for emergencies.

Farren
08-11-2014, 18:27
I am planning on being in town very little. I want to stay as close to the trail as possible. If a hostel is with in walking distance of the trail I will stay there if possible, or split with other hikers of course. Budget's are tricky because you never know how things will turn out but, if you stay in your tent/shelter most of the time and are frugal but effective with your food you can keep costs down. Looks like beer and hotel stays are the biggest expense on trail! LOL I'll totally split with you!

AmputeeHiker
08-11-2014, 18:36
Sounds good to me Farren! :) That would be very cool.

AmputeeHiker
08-11-2014, 18:38
Hey Farren. Clear your Inbox, it won't let me send you anymore

Lone Wolf
08-11-2014, 18:38
I am planning on being in town very little. I want to stay as close to the trail as possible.

EVERYONE says that. that's a fantasy. the reality is much different. mark my words

Damn Yankee
08-11-2014, 18:39
So, AmputeeHiker (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?46467-AmputeeHiker) what's the story behind your name?

AmputeeHiker
08-11-2014, 18:44
LW- I know but I will give it a shot :P

Yankee- I am a life-long lower right leg amputee. No real cool story about how I lost it. My leg just never fully developed a lower bone structure so the tiny foot was amputated when I was about a week old. So it's all I've ever known :) I am missing parts of a couple fingers as well, due to the same condition. You can "see" me on youtube at www.youtube.com/amputeeadventure to get an idea of what I'm talking about. :)

Farren
08-11-2014, 18:47
EVERYONE says that. that's a fantasy. the reality is much different. mark my words It is when your doing this on a shoe string budget.

Farren
08-11-2014, 18:57
Hey Farren. Clear your Inbox, it won't let me send you anymore Darn there goes all my black mail!!

AmputeeHiker
08-11-2014, 18:58
hahah!!
She who laughs last, gets left at the Shelter :P

MuddyWaters
08-11-2014, 19:14
If your going on vacation, plan to spend adequate money to enjoy yourself.

Breaks, showers, beds, and food are something to look forward too and keep your outlook positive. You also feel great when you get back on trail, compared to the run down wore out feeling you might have when you roll into town.

Jeff
08-12-2014, 07:13
It is when your doing this on a shoe string budget.

What Lone Wolf says is very true. The total "wilderness experience" sounds great at home but the draw of town once on trail is tough to ignore. Many shoe string budgets result in having to go home early due to lack of funds. Save as much as you can now and enjoy your "once in a lifetime" adventure.

Gunner1776
08-13-2014, 10:06
You can only spend what you got. I am not sure why people assume that you HAVE to go to town and spend money on hotels, waitresses, and burgers.

Truth is that if you ain't got it to spend, you ain't got it to spend. I am personally separating from my wife on Friday and then planning to hike several trails on a very limited budget. It can be done with a little self control even if it's a vacation.

Example: ever went on a cruise or amusement park on a budget?

I go to disney world literally 5x per week. Don't spend a single dollar. I pack my food from home. Most people cant and won't do that. In fact, most days I just wait until I get home to eat and drink. It's all in your mindset.

Jeff
08-13-2014, 11:26
After three straight days of rain or snow, town looks mighty attractive.

Mags
08-13-2014, 12:21
The people who usually are the biggest advocates of "you don't need burgers, town stops, and ice cream" usually have not done a long distance thru-hike.

Get a thru-hike under your belt first, see how it really is and then share your budget tips. And getting some money from Mom and Dad and/or mail drops to help you out counts towards your budget! :D

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2014, 13:53
You can only spend what you got. I am not sure why people assume that you HAVE to go to town and spend money on hotels, waitresses, and burgers.

Truth is that if you ain't got it to spend, you ain't got it to spend. I am personally separating from my wife on Friday and then planning to hike several trails on a very limited budget. It can be done with a little self control even if it's a vacation.

We're not assuming that people HAVE to go to town, we're speaking based on what most hikers end up doing in reality. We obviously can't tell you what your hike will be like, but the majority of hikers end up spending more than their initial budgets.

I live in CT and frequent the area of the A.T. that is around the 1500 mile mark from Georgia. You would be shocked at the number of thru hikers I have met over the years that admit that they had run out of money already and were at the point where they were funding the rest of their hike 100% on credit cards.

Example: ever went on a cruise or amusement park on a budget?

I go to disney world literally 5x per week. Don't spend a single dollar. I pack my food from home. Most people cant and won't do that. In fact, most days I just wait until I get home to eat and drink. It's all in your mindset.

The fact that you can do this probably puts you well ahead of the curve for self control with spending, kudos for that. I think you'd agree that the average person doesn't have the restraint to do that.

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 14:24
It is quite true you can hike for cheap, even on the AT.

That said, and I was shocked myself at this fact, The AT is a social trail. You may be anti-social in town, but hikers tend to like hikers. You tend to make friends, even if you don't want to. You tend to violently appreciate all the things you escape when entering the woods.

Yes, you can take a zero, sleep in the baseball dugout, eat your granola bar at a restaurant, and raise a pint of water with your trailmates at the bar. You do not have to spend money.

But it's a sad hike on the AT indeed that doesn't include a mad dash to an all you can eat buffet, the best hotel room you'll ever sleep in even though it only cost you $30, or most important of all; a well earned beer hoisted with a fellow hiker.

Even if you don't drink or socialize. You're missing a hell of a lot the trail has to offer if you ignore town. People pay thousands to tour the countrysides of Europe, people pay thousands more to tour our historic east coast. You pay nothing to stroll through it when you hike the AT. It costs nothing to wander the streets, check out the architecture, or visit with strangers. It costs nothing to sit on a bench and learn how folks live in an area you haven't been to before. It could cost you much to miss these experiences.

If you want the wilderness, go there. A canoe traverse of the Boundary Waters, Alaskan adventure, or hundreds of other trips await you if that's what you seek. If money is really tight, those are cheaper trips overall. If you want the AT, don't put your head down and walk past a third of what it has to offer. You don't get any extra points or wilderness cred for skipping town. Don't delude yourself into cheating yourself out of the trail you've chosen to walk.

swisscross
08-13-2014, 14:41
Is it common around here to have post deleted?

swisscross
08-13-2014, 14:49
OOPS, never mind!

johnnybgood
08-13-2014, 14:53
:)

Let it be...let it be.

RED-DOG
08-13-2014, 16:09
How do you plan on resupplying are you going to buy the food as you go along or are you going to do Mail drops?.
Plan you overall budget being around $5,000-$6,000 thats for gear and transportation and anything else you have to pay for before you start the trail.
Your Actual on "trail budget/expenses" should be around $3,000. This is what my 2012 GA-ME budget looked like and i spent an overall of $5,700 this was for everything, before, on, after the trail. I resupplied myself by buying 100% on trail.
but prices of stuff has gone up since then, Every hiker i have met this year is saying a safe comfortable thru-hike budget is $1,000 a month.
Alot people say budget $ 10,000 thats it. other people say you can thru-hike on $2,500.
But really I say budget however much you can afford to, Don't bankrupt your self on a thru-hike, Remember you got to live after the trail.

kayak karl
08-13-2014, 17:37
i think people will find that if you keep a budget in your normal life you have a chance on the trail. you are going to have a lot of money in the beginning. it is so common to say "I'll splurge just this once" :) also if you are used to blowing $100 on a Friday night it will be hard not to live it up in town. LW is right, everybody says it, but few do it. hanging with hikers with hefty funds doesn't help either :)

jj2044
08-13-2014, 18:16
This is my favorite time of the year !!! when everyone starts new threads asking " how much money ", or "trail Budget"..... because they are to lazy to look at the threads FROM YESTERDAY let alone search past months and years !!! every single thing said here.... was said yesterday, and last week, and the week before, and the month before, back for years and years !!!

Top right there is a search bar.. its your friend... learn it, use it, love it.

Speakeasy TN
08-13-2014, 18:17

That said, and I was shocked myself at this fact, The AT is a social trail. You may be anti-social in town, but hikers tend to like hikers. You tend to make friends, even if you don't want to. You tend to violently appreciate all the things you escape when entering the woods.

Yes, you can take a zero, sleep in the baseball dugout, eat your granola bar at a restaurant, and raise a pint of water with your trailmates at the bar. You do not have to spend money.

But it's a sad hike on the AT indeed that doesn't include a mad dash to an all you can eat buffet, the best hotel room you'll ever sleep in even though it only cost you $30, or most important of all; a well earned beer hoisted with a fellow hiker.

Even if you don't drink or socialize. You're missing a hell of a lot the trail has to offer if you ignore town. People pay thousands to tour the countrysides of Europe, people pay thousands more to tour our historic east coast. You pay nothing to stroll through it when you hike the AT. It costs nothing to wander the streets, check out the architecture, or visit with strangers. It costs nothing to sit on a bench and learn how folks live in an area you haven't been to before. It could cost you much to miss these experiences.

If you want the wilderness, go there. A canoe traverse of the Boundary Waters, Alaskan adventure, or hundreds of other trips await you if that's what you seek. If money is really tight, those are cheaper trips overall. If you want the AT, don't put your head down and walk past a third of what it has to offer. You don't get any extra points or wilderness cred for skipping town. Don't delude yourself into cheating yourself out of the trail you've chosen to walk.

This is as good an explanation as we are going to see. I loved getting to know the Bear Clan on the Trail in '11. But every bit as good a memory was sitting in Gatlinburg drinking good scotch and watching tourists. I wouldn't trade any of the memories of that "failed" thru hike. I hope everyone that gets out there goes with the first goal of having FUN. 2200 miles on Ramen and no towns sounds more like an escape from a POW camp than a great adventure!

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 21:31
Gentleman- Richard Cranium is the polite way to name call.

As in; JJ, your develop comment was quite a Richard Cranium thing to say, causing me to believe you may be a fluid holding receptacle for rinsing out a body cavity.

But of course AH, the best plan is to ignore such statements in the first place. Accusing someone of being something often escalates, best to respond politely lest things get off on the wrong foot.

AmputeeHiker
08-14-2014, 09:09
jj-- I never asked about a budget. Where did I ask about a budget?
Just Bill is right. I should have just ignored your statement and I will from now on.

Tuckahoe
08-14-2014, 09:36
The reality is that the search feature on WB pretty much sucks and to be any real results you end up having to search through Google.

And honestly I see no reason for these threads not to come up each year, especially as it allows those most recent thru-hikers to share their more recent trail finance knowledge. It's nice to have that more recent intel while also having it backed up by the likes of LW, Garlic08, Dogwood and etc., etc...

sympathetic joy
08-14-2014, 09:44
This is my favorite time of the year !!! when everyone starts new threads asking " how much money ", or "trail Budget"..... because they are to lazy to look at the threads FROM YESTERDAY let alone search past months and years !!! every single thing said here.... was said yesterday, and last week, and the week before, and the month before, back for years and years !!!

Top right there is a search bar.. its your friend... learn it, use it, love it.

Many forums will have a sticky that included FAQs. If someone new to the forums asks one of those questions then a quick link to the stickied FAQ solves the issue.

Jeff
08-14-2014, 11:00
Many forums will have a sticky that included FAQs. If someone new to the forums asks one of those questions then a quick link to the stickied FAQ solves the issue.

Here at Whiteblaze there is an "articles" button that does have some useful information for newer hikers.

Old_Man
08-14-2014, 11:30
My intention is to go as far as I possibly can on the money that I've saved when it's time to start next spring. I've accepted the fact that I might not be able to afford to make it to the end. I just want to hike and be in the mountains:sun

Jack Tarlin
08-15-2014, 08:07
Personally, I think you can have a great hike on much less than $6,000. Whatever you end up budgeting, keep a disproportionate amount in reserve for the Northern end of the Trail. Just about everything, especially lodging, costs more the further north you go. And whatever you end up with as a final budget, try, if possible, to add an extra 10-15% as a "reserve" for such things as medical emergencies, unexpected gear repair or replacement, unplanned side trips, etc. Sooner or later, you're gonna end up spending money on something you hadn't originally planned on.

Farren
08-15-2014, 16:06
i think people will find that if you keep a budget in your normal life you have a chance on the trail. you are going to have a lot of money in the beginning. it is so common to say "I'll splurge just this once" :) also if you are used to blowing $100 on a Friday night it will be hard not to live it up in town. LW is right, everybody says it, but few do it. hanging with hikers with hefty funds doesn't help either :) Im just going to be really careful like I usually am and thank you.

Farren
08-15-2014, 16:08
Personally, I think you can have a great hike on much less than $6,000. Whatever you end up budgeting, keep a disproportionate amount in reserve for the Northern end of the Trail. Just about everything, especially lodging, costs more the further north you go. And whatever you end up with as a final budget, try, if possible, to add an extra 10-15% as a "reserve" for such things as medical emergencies, unexpected gear repair or replacement, unplanned side trips, etc. Sooner or later, you're gonna end up spending money on something you hadn't originally planned on. Ill have about 1000 or more saved back for emergencies. Im also fantastic at using duct tape lol.

Farren
08-15-2014, 16:12
Gentleman- Richard Cranium is the polite way to name call.

As in; JJ, your develop comment was quite a Richard Cranium thing to say, causing me to believe you may be a fluid holding receptacle for rinsing out a body cavity.

But of course AH, the best plan is to ignore such statements in the first place. Accusing someone of being something often escalates, best to respond politely lest things get off on the wrong foot. Thank you for that I didn't want to be rude.

Gunner1776
08-15-2014, 21:47
[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;1900623]We're not assuming that people HAVE to go to town, we're speaking based on what most hikers end up doing in reality. We obviously can't tell you what your hike will be like, but the majority of hikers end up spending more than their initial budgets.

The fact that you can do this probably puts you well ahead of the curve for self control with spending, kudos for that. I think you'd agree that the average person doesn't have the restraint to do that.[/QUOTE

100% agreed

Gunner1776
08-15-2014, 21:49

That was amazing actually

Dogtra
08-15-2014, 23:36
The people who usually are the biggest advocates of "you don't need burgers, town stops, and ice cream" usually have not done a long distance thru-hike.

In defense of the people saying that, Mags, its true. It's the use of the word "need" that makes it so. Granted there are emergency situations that one actually does "need" to get off trail... But lets not mistake a "need" with a "want". Even though its an extremely overpowering desire...

When I would cave in and take a zero to stuff my face and take some time off my feet, I would do it knowing that I could just as easily take a nearo and achieve similar results. But I usually let myself be talked into a complete zero... even if I was the only one doing the talking. :D It was usually worth it.

Mags
08-16-2014, 00:54
In defense of the people saying that, Mags, its true. It's the use of the word "need" that makes it so. Granted there are emergency situations that one actually does "need" to get off trail... But lets not mistake a "need" with a "want". Even though its an extremely overpowering desire...

When I would cave in and take a zero to stuff my face and take some time off my feet, I would do it knowing that I could just as easily take a nearo and achieve similar results. But I usually let myself be talked into a complete zero... even if I was the only one doing the talking. :D It was usually worth it.

If I wanted to debate semantics, I'd join the college debating team. ;)

When you are on the trail and have been out for days in the cold rain, I suspect your definition of need is much different. Esp if you are new to LD hiking.

Farren
08-16-2014, 09:39

When I would cave in and take a zero to stuff my face and take some time off my feet, I would do it knowing that I could just as easily take a nearo and achieve similar results. But I usually let myself be talked into a complete zero... even if I was the only one doing the talking. :D It was usually worth it. Totally plan on stuffing my face with in reason. Im allergic to alcohol though, cant do drugs and I dont party so from what Ive read I probably wouldn't have that much of a social life on trail because I avoid bars like the plague. Buffets and a cheap hostle once a week will be my friends...

sympathetic joy
08-16-2014, 10:20
Buffets and a cheap hostle once a week will be my friends...

I'm sure others have more experience that I do on this issue - but if you're planning on hitting town once a week - try to avoid Sundays. This is just from a logistics point of view that many places will be closed on Sunday (post office, hardware store, etc.) Monday's may even been taking a chance. I'm thinking Tues-Sat for a town day.

Cheers

AmputeeHiker
08-16-2014, 11:56
I think any sort of adventure has different meaning for every single person that does it. I know that physically this hike will be a massive challenge for me, and I already live in the wilderness alone so I am used to that aspect of the mental game. Plus, on the trail you aren't really ever alone for long someone is always coming by, and you have your shelters at the end of the day. For me, some small talk social interaction while eating dinner is enough to keep that part of my needs met everyday. Like Farren, I am looking to hike and be on trail as much as I can stand it... How much will that be? I'll only know for sure when I am out there. For now, I hike alone sometimes 4 or 5 days at a time with out seeing anyone and I do alright. Cell service at night helps the loneliness if you can send a text or two to someone. I'm not a complete cyborg! LOL

BuckeyeBill
08-16-2014, 15:41
I quit drinking 7 years ago. The money I saved bought me a nice used BMW 325. Quit Smoking two months ago. That money saved will finance my hike. I got to checking through my gear and decided to sell it all and start over again. Old canvas pack on an aluminum frame, synthetic and flannel sleeping bags, canvas pup tent with no floor and a bunch of other worn out stuff that made the neighborhood kids happy. Any way I been saving money every week and got a nice hammock kit built up. I am recovering from Chron's surgery and will be out testing as soon as I can. Budget wise I am planning on having $6,000- $6500 for the hike. Transportation to and from the trail and any gear replacements will come out of that money as well as all my food, hotels, hostels and shuttles.

Farren
08-17-2014, 11:14
I think any sort of adventure has different meaning for every single person that does it. I know that physically this hike will be a massive challenge for me, and I already live in the wilderness alone so I am used to that aspect of the mental game. Plus, on the trail you aren't really ever alone for long someone is always coming by, and you have your shelters at the end of the day. For me, some small talk social interaction while eating dinner is enough to keep that part of my needs met everyday. Like Farren, I am looking to hike and be on trail as much as I can stand it... How much will that be? I'll only know for sure when I am out there. For now, I hike alone sometimes 4 or 5 days at a time with out seeing anyone and I do alright. Cell service at night helps the loneliness if you can send a text or two to someone. I'm not a complete cyborg! LOL
I am such a cyborg! I'll be bringing my kindle which I can rent movies and buy books from when I can get wifi in towb and my phone.