PDA

View Full Version : WTB Backpacking Tent!!!, and a lot more gear.

ConcordSage
08-11-2014, 19:34
Hey guys, I am looking to upgrade a lot of my equipment on a college guy budget.

So basically I am accepting hand-me-downs :-?:D:p I want to hike the Knobstone here in IN soon, and i'd like to get my gear before then.

Seriously, I am very interested in buying a good tent. I'd prefer a Marmot or MSR or REI tent, as I am basically already a walking advertisement for Kelty gear. (Don't get me wrong, I like Kelty and all...but I have a LOT of Kelty stuff) However, I am interested in ANY backpacking 1-2-3p tent you may have for sale. Budget is ~$100 but I have a little room to play.

Also, my current pack is a modern Kelty Super Tioga 4900 pack. Very nice pack, and it is a newer edition. But, It's HUGE. I really don't need a pack this size. So I may be interested in a 50-60L pack (Such as an Osprey Atmos Aether etc) With a budget of... well... (Make me an offer ;)) Oh and if you're interested in my pack as a trade or buying, let me know.

I am currently using a Field & Stream 20* mummy bag.:datzAnd an old vintage North Face synthetic ??* bag.... So, any better bags you no longer need would be appreciated. My budget is not much.. maybe ~$50-75. Maybe :confused:

I just bought a stove and cook kit off of TheWalkingS, so I should be good there. I found some Black Diamond poles on craigslist and those are on their way in the mail. Hmm..

I have no rain gear, but.. I have little money also. So I deem rain gear as not necessary.

I would like an assortment of stuff sacks. Say a bag for food, and a couple other bags for ?. If you just have one food bag though, I am still interested, I don't need an assortment. I'll take what I can get from you guys.

I have a Sawyer Mini but i'd love a ULA gravity filter style filter... Also i'd like a "sink".

I think that is about it guys. To wrap this all up, basically I NEED A TENT BAD. Everything else is just a 'If you have this laying around, offer it to me and we will see what I can do'.

Thanks so much guys & gals. Have a good one!

HooKooDooKu
08-11-2014, 20:41
The best thing to do is just keep an eye out for various sales. You can usually find some great clearance bargains at end of the season, Black Friday, and after Christmas. I know I've been able to get things like what I consider a top-of-the-line synthetic fill sleeping bag that was normally $280 for only $135. Just this year, I got lucky and hit things just right to get a BA Copper Spur UL2 with ground cloth for $275 (Normally about $455).

I still plug Kelty Tents because they are relatively so durable. I get fanatical checking for every little thing that could poke my BA Copper Spur, but I get my Kelty Gunisson 3.1 setup in no time because I'm not nearly as worried about getting hole in that thick floor. Of course Kelty is heavier than most, but they are not all that heavy when you get one of the larger size tents. For example, the Gunnison 2 is pretty huge compared to many supposedly 2 man tents.

swjohnsey
08-11-2014, 20:59
I get a lot of high end gear off ebay cheap. I have a Big Agnes Flycreek I, weighs a little under two pounds ready to go. It is a very popular tent on the trail. I also have a MSR Hubba that I use on the motorcycle weighs about a pound more but is a little more free standing. I got them both off ebay for about $100 ea. They were both practically new.

ConcordSage
08-11-2014, 22:15
Just bid on a tent on ebay... it's auction is over in a day... We shall see.

swjohnsey
08-11-2014, 23:05
Don't bid on stuff 'til the last minute, actually the last 15 seconds.

Rocket Jones
08-12-2014, 06:03
Check WalMart for stuff sacks. They have a good quality 3-pack for a great price.

perrito
08-12-2014, 09:54
I have a Tarptent Contrail (http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html) that I want to part with. I've switched over to a hammock. It has less than 10 nights out. It weighs about 1.5 lbs. and goes for $209 new. I'd take $150 for it. Let me know, I have some pictures I can send you if you like.

ConcordSage
08-14-2014, 21:23
Most recent tent on Ebay was a bust. Ran into a seller that was selling items they didn't have, then ordering them. So I got a refund and a message saying he "had an issue and couldn't order the item". Do not order from 12thstore.

ConcordSage
08-14-2014, 21:24
So, still looking for a tent. Perrito, I would jump on that tent - but I am switching from hammock to tent camping to accommodate my lady going backpacking with me. She doesn't like hammocks. So really, I need a 2 person.

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2014, 22:24
Most recent tent on Ebay was a bust. Ran into a seller that was selling items they didn't have, then ordering them. So I got a refund and a message saying he "had an issue and couldn't order the item". Do not order from 12thstore.
$115 is stupid cheap for a Kelty Gunnisson 2.2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-Gunnison-2-2-Tent-2-Person-3-Season-/181491976440). So more than likely, the seller was going to loose money selling you that tent at that price and decided he would rather lie and say he didn't have it anymore rather than take the loss.

However, I personally would recommend the Gunnisson 2.2.
It's possible to get lighter tents, but they will be much more money. Tents in the same general price range might be a touch lighter, but they will be smaller. The small weight penalty is worth the room of the Gunnisson to me.

< $150 would be an incredible clearance price on a tent like this.
$175 would be a good price.

If I wanted to buy a Kelty Gunnisson today, I would order it from Campmor.com. They have the tent for $180 and the optional matching ground cloth for $30. That's the cheapest price I can find of the online retailers I currently trust (Campmor, REI, Backcountry, Campsaver).

Likeapuma
08-14-2014, 23:38
Why the need for multiple stuff sacks? I have a bishop bag for my hammock & a bag to hang food it. Just packing quilts/clothes in takes up less space.

As for a bag; some may scoff at it, but I've had good luck with my Walmart Ozark Trails 32 down bag. Quality control isn't great, so go into a store & see which ones have the best fill... Depending on when you buy, they can be had for a real bargain!

Odd Man Out
08-14-2014, 23:57
I'm selling a like-new SMD Skyscape Trekker.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?105653-For-Sale-SMD-Skyscape-Trekker-Tent

Haven't had any offers at the opening price (which was over your budget). If still interested, make an offer.

ConcordSage
08-16-2014, 09:12
$115 is stupid cheap for a Kelty Gunnisson 2.2 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-Gunnison-2-2-Tent-2-Person-3-Season-/181491976440). So more than likely, the seller was going to loose money selling you that tent at that price and decided he would rather lie and say he didn't have it anymore rather than take the loss.

However, I personally would recommend the Gunnisson 2.2.
It's possible to get lighter tents, but they will be much more money. Tents in the same general price range might be a touch lighter, but they will be smaller. The small weight penalty is worth the room of the Gunnisson to me.

< $150 would be an incredible clearance price on a tent like this.
$175 would be a good price.

If I wanted to buy a Kelty Gunnisson today, I would order it from Campmor.com. They have the tent for $180 and the optional matching ground cloth for $30. That's the cheapest price I can find of the online retailers I currently trust (Campmor, REI, Backcountry, Campsaver).

After some prying, and looking at other feedback, I found out 12store is a dropshipper.

ConcordSage
08-16-2014, 13:30
Why the need for multiple stuff sacks? I have a bishop bag for my hammock & a bag to hang food it. Just packing quilts/clothes in takes up less space.

As for a bag; some may scoff at it, but I've had good luck with my Walmart Ozark Trails 32 down bag. Quality control isn't great, so go into a store & see which ones have the best fill... Depending on when you buy, they can be had for a real bargain!

Thanks for the tip on the bag, I will take a look at them!