PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Hiking Partner

Goudas
08-12-2014, 07:35
54 year old male, new to hiking - always been a dream of mine to do part or all of the Appalachian Trail.
I am a cancer patient, so this is sort of a bucket list thing - although I am in remission for now.
Former Marine and long distance runner - I am in average shape now.
I am a minister - tons of references - but I don't try to force others to believe or even to listen.
So, if you can be patient with someone new to hiking, and wanting to do a good deed or two :),
I am open as to dates, schedules etc....
Tks

onehumper
08-12-2014, 09:18
My dad, my son and I are planning a 8-10 day hike next May. We try to get out a few times a year for weekend hikes along the AT and once a year for a longer section hike. Dad and I are both ministers. Living in NC we usually head up to VA. I know May is a long way off but I'll try to remember to send you a message as we get closer. Good luck!

Goudas
08-12-2014, 09:40
Tks - Blessings to you and your family

rock steady
08-12-2014, 20:41
Hi!I'm up in Chattanooga,I try to get out every week.There are some good places to hike near Chattanooga and also Amicalola is about 3 hrs from here.Last week I took a shakedown hike on the AT-it really woke me up! I'd like to do some 8 mile days on the AT to figure out a plan for next year's hike. And there are plenty of state parks near Chattanooga. Please get in touch if this sounds good. 'rock steady'

Wise Old Owl
08-12-2014, 22:35
I know you can put it together... the direction most choose is a "mini" group - head out for a few days at a time see how you do and adjust what you know. (section hike at first)

Oma-n-Opa
08-25-2014, 13:01
Semper Fi, friend. Opa and I are retired Marines, and we are heading out from Big Butt, NC, on October 9th, heading south to Springer Mountain. Would be glad for the company for all or part of that section.

Gator 65
09-15-2014, 22:39
Goudas,
I'm 70 years old and in decent shape. I thru hiked the AT in 2009 and still love to get out on the trail.
i am a Christian, retired Navy man who loves to hit the trail and do 8-10 mile days and have a very flexible schedule.
I will be glad to assist and advise you with any equipment or trail questions you have and will help you plan your thru hike or any part of it. I would love to do sections of it with you that I especially enjoyed. Let's get in touch.

Gator 65

rock steady
10-15-2014, 20:33
Hi! I'm wanting to get some more experience in Ga/NC/Tn. I'm almost 70,live in Chattanooga,can prob do a few days of hiking early Nov. On labor Day weekend went from Springer to Chattahoochee Gap. 6 days total. A good friend at North Georgia Outfitters has advised me to start out w/8MPD until I get used to the hike.Let me know if you want to schedule a hike. I'm a Christian too. It really adds to the enjoyment of the experience!

Damn Yankee
10-16-2014, 07:56
I'm from Virginia, retired Army and would be glad to hike and host you if you feel the need to do some of VA.

rock steady
11-03-2014, 01:16
Hi! 69 yo male,a few hikes (and a lot to learn!), Thinking of a March 02(a monday) start. A friend advised me to hike only 8 MPD at first to get myself in shape. I'll try to do about that through at least Franklin, NC. Glad to see you're a minister! Everybody is at least a little bit different as far as style goes. I've got to work some on my camping skills... If it turns out that we don't hike together I'm very sure there will be plenty of company next year. I think the trail will be crowded through Ga.
Do you have all your gear yet? Have you thought about snow next year? I may be wrong starting so early but it seems like the snow is gonna catch us no matter. I could start later but I don't want to have to make up the miles if I wait till later. Tell me what you think. God bless

Fireonwindcsr
01-08-2015, 15:27
Hi! 69 yo male,a few hikes (and a lot to learn!), Thinking of a March 02(a monday) start. A friend advised me to hike only 8 MPD at first to get myself in shape. I'll try to do about that through at least Franklin, NC. Glad to see you're a minister! Everybody is at least a little bit different as far as style goes. I've got to work some on my camping skills... If it turns out that we don't hike together I'm very sure there will be plenty of company next year. I think the trail will be crowded through Ga.
Do you have all your gear yet? Have you thought about snow next year? I may be wrong starting so early but it seems like the snow is gonna catch us no matter. I could start later but I don't want to have to make up the miles if I wait till later. Tell me what you think. God bless

im currently flip flopping between southern Maryland and Ocala Florida. I'm open to anything just can't start cold.... Planning on doing thru trip. Looking forward to the journey and new friends. Old Army guy

Deer Hunter
01-08-2015, 20:11
54 year old male, new to hiking - always been a dream of mine to do part or all of the Appalachian Trail.
I am a cancer patient, so this is sort of a bucket list thing - although I am in remission for now.
Former Marine and long distance runner - I am in average shape now.
I am a minister - tons of references - but I don't try to force others to believe or even to listen.
So, if you can be patient with someone new to hiking, and wanting to do a good deed or two :),
I am open as to dates, schedules etc....
Tks

If you ever get up to central Virginia, I would be happy to hike with you some.