PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Section, Camping Near Skyland?

stjarvis
08-12-2014, 12:05
Hi, I lurk here but don't post much. I've decided to section hike the AT, and I'm planning for my first section Mentzer Gap Rd (near PenMar) to Big Meadows this Sept.

This is my planned itinerary: http://eitherbraveorstupid.com/trip-planning-began-2014-section-va-pa/

I'm thinking of swapping Byrds Nest No 3 for Skyland, or some backcountry camping just south of Skyland, to try and even out the milages, and reduce the amount of food I have to carry (eat at elkwallow, skyland, and big meadows) I'll be resupplying via mail drop at Bears Den. I'll be hammock camping.

If anyone has any experience backcountry camping (legally) just south of skyland, or staying at skyland, or just general tips or comments, it would be apperciated.

PS ignore the GPS route on my blog that stops at Panorama, I was thinking of stopping there cause I've already hiked Panorama to just past the Pinnacle, but decided Big Meadows would be a more convenient place to end, and haven't updated the route yet.

johnnybgood
08-12-2014, 13:05
Per SNP regulations back country sites must be one quarter mile from any park structure such as those at Skyland
With the Pinnacle Picnic area north of Skyland , maybe 3 miles I'd set 60 ft off trail just north of that . Water is available at the picnic area also