PDA

View Full Version : Picking up where I left off2012: Franklin NH.

Calamine
08-12-2014, 21:38
Hello and happy trails!

I started my NoBo Hike in 04/12, and had to stop after mt Moosilauke in New Hampshire.
I can't remember the name or the bus service that ran from the Boston airport to Franklin, does any body know off hand?
Google is sending me all over the place.
so I guess my questions are:
1) How do I get to AT from the Boston airport?
2) did that town have an outfitter? I'm going to need isobutane.
I was also wondering instead of ordering the data book for the last bit of the trail, where can I get just a small guide with the water/shelter info for the sections just north Mt Mosilauke?
I'm trying to head out there as fast as possible. any and all info is appreciated!

-Calamine.
(Just might see you out there!?)

imscotty
08-12-2014, 23:04
Calamine.

Franklin NH is not near the AT. If you came off the north side of Mount Moosilauke you would have gotten off on Rt. 112, Kinsman Notch near the Lost River Gorge. East on 112 is North Woodstock, NH. This is the nearest town with any services.

Concord Coach Bus line has service from Logan Airport or South Station Boston to Lincoln, NH. Lincoln is right next to North Woodstock and also has accommodations and services. You could probably find a cab to get from Lincoln to North Woodstock to Kinsman Notch. or maybe you would have some luck hitching a ride. If not it is a walkable distance to the trailhead (several miles I think).

Slo-go'en
08-13-2014, 01:34
Lincoln is near Franconia Notch, which is quite a bit farther north then Moosilauke. Your best bet is to go to Hanover and start again from there. I know there is a bus from Boston to Hanover, but I don't have that schedule here. Finding a fuel canister shouldn't be hard to do.

As for a map, you'd should get one of the White Mountain area when you get here. There are a maze of trails which connect to the AT and keeping them all straight requires an overview map. These are widely available, found in many stores in the area.

Pack some good rain gear and warm clothes. It's been a stormy summer and temps at night are starting to dip into the 40's. 30's are not far away, since we've been running below average a lot. I noticed today the leaves on the trees are already starting to show a tint of color - and some a lot of color. This is a few weeks early.

Calamine
08-13-2014, 03:58
Hello!
Thank you so much for the responses and help!
I think I'm going to go the route of flying into Logan Airport, grab the Concord bus to Lincoln, and then taxi myself to Woodstock.
From Woodstock I can grab some supplies, then I'll shuttle or taxi to Kinsman Notch.
I'm pretty sure RT112 is where Trail Angel Ms. Janet might have picked me up..?

Thanks or the heads up about the crazy trail system around that area. I'll pick up a map of the AT in the Whites.
After that I'll just be jumping from water sources to shelters and quick in town resupply grabs.
Sounds like I've got this covered right?
Fall is creeping in early? in 2012 I seem to remember hat Katahdin and Baxter Park stayed well open past Oct 15th that year. Is Oct 15th looking like the deadline for this year?
On my 20212 hike i was doing 18's and 20's, but this year I have zero intention on doing high mileage like that again. I'm hoping to take it easy with 10's and 15's.
Am I on track or am I dreaming here?
Thanks for all your help!
-Calamine

peakbagger
08-13-2014, 07:18
Baxter State Park actually may be open later at selected campsites this year but that doesn't mean the trails heading up Katahdin will be open. Anytime after October 1st can be crap shot. Usually if the trails close they will reopen in a day or so but at some point they close for good. Lot to be said to go up to Katahdin first and hike south.

Slo-go'en
08-13-2014, 11:58
If you got off at 112, then you are close to Lincoln - about 6 miles. You could probably hitch that easy enough, but you might have to walk to the other side of the highway first as many going in that direction from Lincoln will turn off onto the interstate.

There are two buses which leave Logan for Lincoln. One at 7:15 AM, the other at 5:40 PM. The PM bus doesn't get to Lincoln until 9 PM (but is usually up to an hour late due to bumper to bumper traffic coming out of Boston at that time), so you'll looking at a motel stay if you take that bus.

Calamine
08-13-2014, 16:25
Thank all of you for all the Info! much appreciated!
This seems like I should be covered from here once I get the map of the whites.
Thanks again!
-Calamine