PDA

View Full Version : Platypus/Camelbak compatability

alverhootzt
08-13-2014, 06:41
I'm looking on woot at a CamelBak hydration pack and wondering if my Platypus bladder will fit in there. Anyone know (volumes being equal)? :-?

Energizer Bunny
08-14-2014, 06:15
I use my platypus in my camelback - no problems.

Alligator
08-14-2014, 10:17
I've never had a problem switching bladders between various packs, mostly Platypus bladders but 2 Camelbaks as well. Platypus shape proportions haven't appeared to be standardized over time. Meaning, sometimes the bladders are shorter and wider in proportion for similar volumes as well as different volumes. You could maybe get the dimensions of the two bladders you are trying to compare off of REI.

I don't think you'd have a problem though, bladders are flexible and you can fill slightly less if needed. Or you could get a second bladder if needed. I have some spares myself. I don't put drink mix in my hiking one because I use an inline filter and the lines can get funky with drink mixes given the time out backpacking. However, I will put drink mix in hydration pack bladder when using it for cycling or trail running. I know I will wash it out sooner. Also, I did like my Camelbak bladder in my hydration pack as I was more comfortable with freezing it the night before.

alverhootzt
08-15-2014, 11:06
thank you both

atraildreamer
08-15-2014, 18:26
Is the combination now called a "Camelpus", or a "Platybak"? :-? :banana