PDA

View Full Version : ID on the trail

ChuckT
08-13-2014, 07:37
(I did a quick search and didn't seem to find anything on this topic. If I,m wrong plz point out ta previous thread(s).)

Picking up Backpacking, possibly finish AT Thru Hike after 20+ year hiatus. Wifie a bit concerned about me going off into the woods alone so insists I carry adequate ID. (to ID my remains, I suppose:rolleyes:)

I have noticed that Wally World has some sort of a metal embossing machine in the store and mean to study whether that may be the way to fix something onto my pack as a permanent ID/address label.

So - Other than personal ID do you carry ID on (fixed to) your pack?

If I were to use one of these machines do they keep or transmit a record of my input? I am concerned about ID theft, obviously.

cvt

jbwood5
08-13-2014, 07:47
(I did a quick search and didn't seem to find anything on this topic. If I,m wrong plz point out ta previous thread(s).)

Picking up Backpacking, possibly finish AT Thru Hike after 20+ year hiatus. Wifie a bit concerned about me going off into the woods alone so insists I carry adequate ID. (to ID my remains, I suppose:rolleyes:)

I have noticed that Wally World has some sort of a metal embossing machine in the store and mean to study whether that may be the way to fix something onto my pack as a permanent ID/address label.

If I were to use one of these machines do they keep or transmit a record of my input? I am concerned about ID theft, obviously.

cvt

I usually keep a minimal billfold with ID in my pack except when in town or at a PO where you need to present ID (driver's license or State ID card). In town, it is in a ziplock in my pocket. I'm not sure you need to have an extra copy of anything too specific like a driver's license. Even with an insurance card, you can be ID'd fairly quickly and a ID thief would have to work order to get info like you SS #. If you carry a cell phone, the information contained, may suffice for emergency identification (tougher if you use a PW).

ChuckT
08-13-2014, 08:05
Thanks jbwood5. Think I got that covered. Still debating I'D tag on the oack. Campus where I work tags are mandatory. If you walk off and leave bag or luggage behind that will (and _have_) call in a bomb squad. A little extreme perhaps but with current nut jobs in the news is understandable.

Don H
08-13-2014, 08:11
The easiest way to mark your pack would be to write your information on it with a permanent marker.

As far as carrying ID, I carry a fishing license holder like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scaffs-Fishing-License-Holder/19863917
It is attached to my pants belt loop by a short string and holds my drivers license, insurance card and money in it.

jbwood5
08-13-2014, 08:13
In my experience, things like terrorist threats, bombs in packs, etc never seem to come up on the trail. Packs are everywhere.... like in front of grocery stores, restaurants, hostels, parking lots, shuttle vans, etc. It may that some Post Offices could have stricter rules, but I never noticed anyone with any kind of tag, except a back country permit tag in the Shenandoah NP. I don't even know if the Greyhound busses require them now. They didn't back in the day I rode them.

Tuckahoe
08-13-2014, 08:17
Personally, I carry my wallet with the various IDs that I need. With in my pack I actually have a copy of my planned itinerary, that I have also sent out to a couple friends, which includes my information as well as emergency contacts. Its usually the first thing in my pack.

As far as the machines at Wal-Mart, if you have a concern and still want something longer lasting check out Road ID -- http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx

saltysack
08-13-2014, 08:21
Drivers lic
Debit card
Ins card laminated
Lil cash
All rubber banded in front zip pocket of my conv pants

gwb
08-13-2014, 09:07
I only carry what others have mentioned. License, CC, Ins Card. I keep those with my cash in a ziplock. In my bag while hiking, in my pocket when in town.
I've wondered if it is a good idea to keep everything in the same spot, after I found a hikers ziplock containing all of the above and his cell phone at a shelter. It worked out that I had found it and was able to get word to him and we were able to meet up in Gorham. Otherwise he was in a pretty bad position.
ID on a bag may not be a bad idea. You could use the machine that makes tags for a dogs collar. The other thing I did, from a lesson learned after my garage was broken into, was to photograph everything so I could identify and prove it was mine should I get seperated from my pack. Not sure how often it happens but a guy I hiked with a little last year had his bag stolen while hitch hiking. He was lucky to get his stuff back, thanks to some quick thinking.

ChuckT
08-13-2014, 09:34
Itinerary, good point!

Stolen while hitchhiking I can see that happening.

I have been comfortable with walking away from my pack on the trail however briefly.

colorado_rob
08-13-2014, 09:38
Drivers lic
Debit card
Ins card laminated
Lil cash
All rubber banded in front zip pocket of my conv pantsAll of this, really simple and easy and light (except Credit card vs. debit, minor point), plus I put them in a snack-sized zip-lock, not sure why, I guess it's a "wallet" or sorts (0.1 oz). Don't see a need to have ID on pack??? If pack goes "missing" it can only mean it was stolen, right?

Slo-go'en
08-13-2014, 11:44
I I don't even know if the Greyhound buses require them now. They didn't back in the day I rode them.

Yes, they do, unless it's carry on. I usually just leave the name/address tag attached to my pack.

rocketsocks
08-13-2014, 11:54
The easiest way to mark your pack would be to write your information on it with a permanent marker.

As far as carrying ID, I carry a fishing license holder like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scaffs-Fishing-License-Holder/19863917
It is attached to my pants belt loop by a short string and holds my drivers license, insurance card and money in it.
what a great idea, I have many of these in an old shoe box. Got a new Drivers lic. an couple years ago and now keep my laminated expired picture drivers lic. in my waist belt pouch, permanently. While out hiking my current Lic. always stays on my persons.

rocketsocks
08-13-2014, 11:55
All of this, really simple and easy and light (except Credit card vs. debit, minor point), plus I put them in a snack-sized zip-lock, not sure why, I guess it's a "wallet" or sorts (0.1 oz). Don't see a need to have ID on pack??? If pack goes "missing" it can only mean it was stolen, right?
unless you and pack go missing, and then pack turns up...but you don't. But I know what you mean.

Lone Wolf
08-13-2014, 20:36

cvt
just carry your drivers license as normal. if you die on the trail folks will rummage through your pack lookin' for it

Just Bill
08-13-2014, 21:56
In scouts we used to write everyone's name and home phone in permanent marker on the inside of the pack, usually along the back edge.
Partially because we bought bulk deals and had the same gear, partially for reasons of loss, theft, id (kids under 16 don't have ID), partially because we were over prepared scouts.
But not the worst idea and not overly obvious unless needed.

If you take the argument to it's logical conclusion- Tattooing your name and SS# on your body is the only surefire way, assuming you don't die in a fire of course. :)

It's not a horrible idea to sew an emergency 20(s), 5, and single with a credit card into your pack. If you got robbed, or much more realistically, lost your wallet, then you have some means on your person.
Little towns in the middle of no place don't break emergency hundreds, vending machines don't take 20's- hence the denominational breakdown if you were curious.
Forget the emergency quarters- if you have found a working payphone you will have already reached help.

squeezebox
08-14-2014, 08:43
A good idea to add a list of meds and medical conditions, emergency contacts
When I'm out cycling I keep an old driver's license and house key around my neck or in a ziplock with phone

Odd Man Out
08-14-2014, 09:34
I'm so used to carrying a wallet in my pocket, I feel naked without it, so I just do the same when hiking. But I get a small lightweight nylon one (instead of my normal leather one) and take out stuff I know I won't need (library card, etc...). I never carry a debit card as I don't want people to have access to my checking account money by just swiping and forging a signature. Instead I carry an ATM card (with no credit card logo) that can only be used for getting cash using a PIN. Then I carry a credit card as credit cards have more protection against fraud. I sometimes bury a second credit card deep in my pack as a backup in case my wallet is lost or stolen. I like back ups. On my last section hike, I was staying with a friend before and after the hike so I had a bag with travel clothes I could leave there and didn't take on the hike. I left my passport in that travel bag so that in a worst case scenario where I lost my wallet on the trail, I could still get home (you can't get on an airplane without an ID).

Venchka
08-14-2014, 09:59
Did not read every word, but...
I put business cards with name, company name, and a few phone numbers in my camera bags, packs, handlebar bag, luggage, etc.
As for real ID, that has been covered above. Minimal approach is fine.
If you have ever watched the Tour de France on TV, Road ID might be a good idea if you have specific medical or allergy concerns. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't a Trail ID.
http://www.roadid.com/

Wayne

swjohnsey
08-14-2014, 10:06
You could have your name and address tattooed on your various extremities in the event you were dismembered.

Doogievlg
08-14-2014, 10:18
Name and phone number written on your pack. Id and normal wallet stuff in your pocket. And contact info in your wallet incase that gets lost.

I have lost my stuff more then a few times and this usually works. When it doesn't I assume the people just stole it.

garlic08
08-14-2014, 10:33
You could have your name and address tattooed on your various extremities in the event you were dismembered.

Might as well add "left" and "right" and "This side up" while you're at it.

Seriously, a sandwich-sized ziplock with a DL, a credit card and a little folding money is all I carry. And it stays in my shirt pocket, never in the pack. On international trails, there's room for a passport. (The advent of e-ticketing sure made things easier--no need to secure a return ticket for month after rainy month.)

All the hiking I've done, I've yet to see human bones sticking out of ashes on the side of the trail.

CarlZ993
08-14-2014, 13:13
I was very leery of losing my ID & money on the trail somewhere. I wasn't super-worried about theft. I misplace things from time to time that drives me crazy. Anyway, I wore a neck wallet that included my DL, Debit Card, Credit Card, Insurance Card, & most of my money.

Stashed in my pack, I had a small ziplock baggie that included Passport ID Card, Debit card to different bank, different Credit Card, and about $50 in cash.

ChuckT
08-14-2014, 13:46
One guy had his name tattooed on his forehead but couldn't read read it cause when he looked in a mirror ...

Rolls Kanardly
08-14-2014, 13:47
I just called Staples and they do laminating. If you use regular paper they suggest using the 10 mil plastic laminating service at $1.99 a sheet. If you use card stock, which is firmer then use the 5 mil plastic laminating service at $ .99 a sheet.

Make a dozen for a $1 or so.

Water proof, rust free, light, and cheap.
Rolls

swjohnsey
08-14-2014, 14:17
Having two sets of picture and emergency credit card in two separate locations is probably a good idea. I had one of Z-packs "wallets" which I wore around my neck when in town and kept stashed in the inside pocket of my pack while one the trail. You can't even fly or take a bus without a picture I.D.

squeezebox
08-14-2014, 15:16
Does a photocopy of a driver's license count as a picture ID ??
I'm thinking probably not.

swjohnsey
08-14-2014, 15:21
Don't think so either. I have state DL, military I.D. and State Department issued passport card.

RED-DOG
08-14-2014, 15:37
I carry a legal issued ID such as a Driver's License and on the inside of my pack with a water proof sharpie i write in small letters my Name and Phone Number, addresse.

handlebar
08-14-2014, 18:26
In my hiker wallet (pint ziplock freezers bag): Drivers License (passport if international), credit card, ATM/Debit card, health insurance card, small amount cash, emergency info card. The emergency info card has my name, cell number, emergency contact info, list of my meds, and primary care doc's contact info. This is all printed on card stock and laminated. (The same info is in my regular wallet). I carry this in a tiny fanny pack (Jansport FifthAve) worn in front that also has my camera, GPS, SPOT, Cell phone, sun block, tiny Swiss Army knife, emergency whistle) that stays on except when I'm in tent.

ChuckT
08-14-2014, 19:07
I made up a list, small card about 3x4, of essential info, emergency contact etc. Same info on both sides and sealed it in a Scotch Laminating pouch. Still on the fence about attaching info to the pack though.

mtntopper
08-14-2014, 20:45
Microchip implanted in right shoulder with an ID tattoo over it

Rolls Kanardly
08-15-2014, 06:48
Microchip implanted in right shoulder with an ID tattoo over it
As far as the microchip goes, might as well place it in an interesting place for the metal detectors.
A bar code would be interesting.
Rolls

RangerZ
08-15-2014, 07:56

GIs call it a meat tag.

I have a red medical dog tag on my neck with my other dog tags, one on my pack, another with meds, and one laced into my right boot (the dismemberment thing - plus it helps me get my boots on the correct feet - Red -> Right). I know its overkill but I'm not a gram weenie.

I've done the pint sized ziplock as described above. Around home I carry a travel neck wallet with an expired driver's license, but in my pocket.

perrymk
08-15-2014, 09:49
You could have your name and address tattooed on your various extremities in the event you were dismembered. I think it would be easier to take a few swabs inside ones mouth, put them in ziplock freezer bags, and freeze them. Let the DNA lab sort it all out.

I have heard fingerprint cards and DNA swabs are recommended for children for positive ID in the unlikely event of a kidnapping. Kids might look completely different in a few years.

Odd Man Out
08-15-2014, 09:58
I just called Staples and they do laminating. If you use regular paper they suggest using the 10 mil plastic laminating service at $1.99 a sheet. If you use card stock, which is firmer then use the 5 mil plastic laminating service at $ .99 a sheet. ...

I print all the emergency info I want on a piece of paper the size of a credit card. Then I cover both sides with clear packing tape and trim away the excess - instant free and easy laminating!

Odd Man Out
08-15-2014, 10:02
Another thing I though about while on the trail was that all the phone numbers of people I might need to call (shuttle driver, e.g.) were on my cell phone. As my battery started to run low, I thought that I could run into a situation where I couldn't call the people I needed (even if I could borrow a cell phone) because my battery died so I couldn't get the number off of it. So I quickly copied the number of my shuttle driver onto a piece of paper and stuck it my wallet as a backup in case my phone died.

Lynnette
08-15-2014, 11:53
Hi. Make this easy.To identify your pack from loss, take a picture in your cell phone of your pack and yourself A N D email it to yourself. This is also what hikers do so they can id their dogs who might get lost. My family photographs mail drop boxes being sent out too and that has come in real handy several times. Id's, medical data, c card, bank info are important to have access to. I scanned in all my cards. Sent them to myself via a coded email. I carry the original state issued drivers lic. and plastic bank card in a tiny ziplock where I do not have to remove unless I am swiping it. It travels in my backpack in drybag adhered to the inside of the pack ( a slight effort has to be made to disengage from the pack), which seldom is removed in the woods. When hitting parts of trails with lots of town stops, change this around to make it easy for yourself but not any pack pickers. Use the backpacker purse ie a small roll top bag, for running around. I have been concerned a couple of times when hiking way way off trail for water - so I would take my pack or my pack purse so that among other reasons, that if I was found/lost/hurt I could be identified. Of the 4 times my identity has been stolen, it was NOT on a hike. O, I am a female and dont usually carry passport. But I will for the End to End Trail. With days of wet weather, snow, hail, mud my stuff has not been compromised. If needed, Office stores will sell you a sheet or two of self laminating paper - where you can stick papery type ID's in between. We use that for our hunting and fishing L and boat registration. See you in the woods.