PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheet for Weight Calculations

JaketheFake
08-13-2014, 21:40
I am planning to do a thru hike in 2016...not an attempt :). Ya gotta think positive! Anyway, I have been reading some really interesting threads lately... stuff about the Class of 2015 hikers, stuff on pack weights and of course the Dead Head thread. All of it has me kind of fire up!. I noted that in one thread the topic of a spreadsheet and the use of a spreadsheet to calculate one's base and total load came up. Several folks planning to do a thru hike were not using anything like this.

I work with spreadsheets a lot and I decided to build one for my preparations. I will be glad to share it with anyone, but I would like to make sure I have not left anything off and it is free from bugs before I put it out there for general use. Who knows, maybe something like this already exists?

My spreadsheet enables the hiker to calculate several critical calculations, compile a list of items that are to be used on a hike and to know how much money was spent in total in preparing (if anyone really wants to know that!). I divided the spreadsheet into several different "systems"... backpack, sleeping, cooking, clothes and personal. By entering the item, the cost and the weight (in ounces), the spreadsheet automatically calculates the weight in pounds, the total weight per each system, grand total base weight and grand total load (after an estimate for food and water is entered). In addition it automatically returns the percentage of the total weight each system makes up as well as a percentage of the total weight each individual item accounts for. Pretty geeky.

And if it was not geeky enough.... with a simple input of the hiker's weight, it returns the percentage of body weight that the total load makes up. It is unable to determine if the hiker fudges on their weight....haha.

Finally... because I wanted to try a feature I seldom work with, there is a section that enables the hiker to temporarily eliminate one or more items (without permanently deleting them from the spreadsheet). This feature is useful for someone wanting to know what the overall effect of the oad is by say leaving off the scuba gear that made the original list. Because it is a toggle, the hiker can "play with his/her load" once it is input into the original spreadsheet. And all calculations automatically adjust.

I am a beginner to hiking (not to the outdoors) and up until now the dizzying amount of info was causing me to avoid researching weights and loads. I do have to give credit to Salad Days article on what he carried as a break through for me and the categories I used in my spreadsheet are similar to how he presented his gear in his article.

If anyone is interested in taking a peek at this spreadsheet let me know. Again, it would be useful to get some feedback. I will be using it as I start pulling my gear together for my hike.

kayak karl
08-13-2014, 21:52
i do all my calculating and list making on my notebook. :)

saltysack
08-13-2014, 22:55
Keep it simple.......let's not over complicate things.....:)

rocketsocks
08-14-2014, 00:31
Take a look at this, some use it. I played with it for a bit, kinda cool to see it broken out different ways. I've since, for the most part adopted the philosophy...my gear is my gear it's what I have to use so what does it matter. Though I still have a pretty good idea of what is what even when I swap stuff around for seasonal changes.

gear grams spread sheet

http://www.geargrams.com/

https://www.facebook.com/geargrams

JumpMaster Blaster
08-14-2014, 01:22
Jake, I'd like to take it out for a test drive. I actually like using that newfangled technology stuff.

Firefighter503
08-14-2014, 01:52
You mean something like this (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApHmSUFrdzzqdF9pWUFXYjhIWGhqMGFQa2RPQ0JjN 2c&usp=sharing) (not as fancy as what you propose, but gets the job done)?

Alligator
08-14-2014, 11:16
I have one I've been using for about 13 years:). It started out simply as a check off list and menu planner. I added weights and summing cells soon after and then a place to estimate alcohol fuel. It's stayed pretty simple otherwise. Mainly I just list all my gear with weights. Then based on the trip, I check off the gear I think I need, filter on quantities greater than zero, then paste to a blank spot to print. I pull the gear out of the totes and nothing gets checked off until it is actually inside the pack. I can fiddle with the list prior to the trip as needed. Works for me, it's not particularly fancy, but really helps me to dial in gear and avoid forgetting items. Find what works for you and more power to you if you get something handy set up. I'll send you a PM with an email you can send it to, if I get a chance I will offer some feedback on it.

Gambit McCrae
08-14-2014, 11:30
Nice tool! I saved it and have started filling it out

You mean something like this (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApHmSUFrdzzqdF9pWUFXYjhIWGhqMGFQa2RPQ0JjN 2c&usp=sharing) (not as fancy as what you propose, but gets the job done)?

JaketheFake
08-14-2014, 13:28
Jake, I'd like to take it out for a test drive. I actually like using that newfangled technology stuff.

Jumpmaster....PM Sent.

JaketheFake
08-14-2014, 13:29

FF... where is the link to yours...I could not find it on your post.

Studlintsean
08-14-2014, 13:31
Click on the word "this"

JaketheFake
08-14-2014, 15:58
Click on the word "this"

Thank you... I am colored blind and the word "this" looked like any other word until you were so kind to point it out.

Studlintsean
08-14-2014, 16:04
Thank you... I am colored blind and the word "this" looked like any other word until you were so kind to point it out.

No problem.

wdanner
08-14-2014, 16:32
Something like this or geargrams.com is great for someone who is researching but doesn't have a bunch of gear, like myself. Makes it easy to balance my budget against potential pack weight.

Lone Wolf
08-14-2014, 16:42
it's just walkin'. ya don't need no stinkin' spreadsheet. what is one anyway?

JaketheFake
08-14-2014, 17:00
it's just walkin'. ya don't need no stinkin' spreadsheet. what is one anyway?

I don't even know what to say.... maybe I should jus stay here and Texas and watch Ice Road Truckers?

Firefighter, your spreadsheet is very similar to mine in concept. Very cool.

I promise, this is as complicated as my hike is going to get.

Lone Wolf
08-14-2014, 17:05
I don't even know what to say.... maybe I should jus stay here and Texas and watch Ice Road Truckers?

what is a spreadsheet?

JaketheFake
08-14-2014, 18:26
Lone Wolf - a spreadsheet is basically a computer based program that enables the user to do what accountants used to do with calculators 30 years ago. They are very useful because the user can create formulas and the calculations automatically adjust when the inputs are changed. As example, on my weight calculator spreadsheet, if the user changes the weights on an item the total base load is recalculated to adjust for the change. This is something for planning... would not rely on using a spreadsheet while hiking.

dangerdave
08-14-2014, 20:05
Explaining things to Lone Wolf...

...not a good idea. :datz

dangerdave
08-14-2014, 20:15
Oh, and firefighters and wise and smart and sexy, and produce some of the most brilliant posts I have ever read on the internet! Thanks you, Firefighter503! Thank you! I downloaded your most awesome spreadsheet and will utilize it with all due honors.

Greetings to you from Local IAFF300 in Chillicothe. ;)

Lone Wolf
08-14-2014, 23:25
Lone Wolf - a spreadsheet is basically a computer based program that enables the user to do what accountants used to do with calculators 30 years ago. They are very useful because the user can create formulas and the calculations automatically adjust when the inputs are changed. As example, on my weight calculator spreadsheet, if the user changes the weights on an item the total base load is recalculated to adjust for the change. This is something for planning... would not rely on using a spreadsheet while hiking.

this ain't gonna help you no way, no how to walk the path. trust me. i know more than you :)

shakey_snake
08-15-2014, 06:55
http://goo.gl/1gJu3f

I feel like mine is pretty detailed. If you want to work from there let me know I'll share it. Maybe we can improve it together. :)

JaketheFake
08-15-2014, 10:52
http://goo.gl/1gJu3f

I feel like mine is pretty detailed. If you want to work from there let me know I'll share it. Maybe we can improve it together. :)

Very nice... I considered pie charts, but then said no. Yours is formatted very nicely.

CalebJ
08-15-2014, 11:27
this ain't gonna help you no way, no how to walk the path. trust me. i know more than you :)
It may not help you, but for the rest of us it can be a convenient way to look at your options before you head out the door (or to make a list in your free time so when it comes to actually packing you can make sure you don't walk out the door and forget something).

rocketsocks
08-15-2014, 11:37
John Muir's spread sheet

Loaf a bread...check
pound a tea...check

...now where did I put that fence? :D:)

rocketsocks
08-15-2014, 11:38
John Muir's spread sheet

Loaf a bread...check
pound a tea...check

...now where did I put that fence? :D:)Correction...Lone wolfs spread s**t

Just Bill
08-15-2014, 11:54
i know more than you :)
Lookit you pappy- working on a new catchphrase?
I like it.

You may be surprised to learn you use a spreadsheet almost every day-just the same as Karl's but with a calculator built in.

Blue Blaze Café-

Damascus, VA

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Moonshine

$ 5.00

Cheesesteak w/fries
$ 7.50

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Subtotal

$ 18.75

Sales Tax

$ 0.40

Liquor Tax

$ 1.20

Total

$ 20.35

Just Bill
08-15-2014, 12:01
Jake-
Likely Jumpmaster is more than qualified to help you sort out the bugs. Happy to help proof it or suggest any improvements.
The main thing (no matter how you set it up or what bells and whistles you have)- base weight, carried weight, consumables.
Of the "fancy" features- a way to sort or compare upgrades is helpful- the typical metric used is dollars per ounce. As in new bag will save a pound, and cost $160 more- 160/16= $10/ounce upgrade.
Pounds verses dollars is usually the most useful when setting up a kit if budget matters.
A good spreadsheet is very helpful to get you rolling.

Once you got it working and your gear sorted out, the not as ignorant as he seems fella is quite correct.

rocketsocks
08-15-2014, 12:22
Lookit you pappy- working on a new catchphrase?
I like it.

You may be surprised to learn you use a spreadsheet almost every day-just the same as Karl's but with a calculator built in.

Blue Blaze Café-

Damascus, VA

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Moonshine

$ 5.00

Cheesesteak w/fries
$ 7.50

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Busch Light Draft

$ 1.25

Subtotal

$ 18.75

Sales Tax

$ 0.40

Liquor Tax

$ 1.20

Total

$ 20.35

now that's freakin' Rich...28116

JaketheFake
08-15-2014, 19:48
Jake-
Likely Jumpmaster is more than qualified to help you sort out the bugs. Happy to help proof it or suggest any improvements.
The main thing (no matter how you set it up or what bells and whistles you have)- base weight, carried weight, consumables.
Of the "fancy" features- a way to sort or compare upgrades is helpful- the typical metric used is dollars per ounce. As in new bag will save a pound, and cost $160 more- 160/16= $10/ounce upgrade.
Pounds verses dollars is usually the most useful when setting up a kit if budget matters.
A good spreadsheet is very helpful to get you rolling.

Once you got it working and your gear sorted out, the not as ignorant as he seems fella is quite correct.

Bill... thank you. You get my point and purpose of the spreadsheet.... it is a beginners tool. Thank you for the pointers ont eh weight.

captike
08-15-2014, 21:55
Jake, I recently got turned on to lighterpack.com. You type in all your gear and weights and it does the hard part for you. You can also add pictures and tell it which items you are wearing so it will deduct those weights from your pack weight. Here's a sample you can see. http://lighterpack.com/r/16jtk0 That being said, I would like a copy of yours if you wouldn't mind. I'm always open to new ideas. Before I found LP, I had a very rudimentary spreadsheet of my own.

ChuckT
08-16-2014, 05:48
I did a spreadsheet also. Divided into pack, sleeping, clothes, etc. I indicate what I'm taking and look at the total of that collum. Did not think about adding calc of % body weight, interesting.
I weigh my own stuff at home and don't record paid price (spent the $ so don't need that). Would like to see your sheet.

ChuckT
08-16-2014, 08:07
Was that your Giigle Doc with the pie charts? Very nice!

Firefighter503
08-16-2014, 08:31

Whoops. Sorry about that. Thanks Sean.

Firefighter503
08-16-2014, 08:35
Nice tool! I saved it and have started filling it out

Thanks. Like I said, you could go with something way more complex, but I based it off the Backpacker Magazine list that everyone posts in the 'what do I need?' threads in the hope that it keeps people from packing too much stuff (there are still way more items than most people need on there...).

Firefighter503
08-16-2014, 08:44
Oh, and firefighters and wise and smart and sexy, and produce some of the most brilliant posts I have ever read on the internet! Thanks you, Firefighter503! Thank you! I downloaded your most awesome spreadsheet and will utilize it with all due honors.

Greetings to you from Local IAFF300 in Chillicothe. ;)

Thanks DD, haha.

Glad that it seems to have been a little help to a few of you all.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -LdV

JaketheFake
08-18-2014, 10:45
I would like to put my weight calc out here for those who expressed interest. Can anyone guide me through the process of posting a link... like the others have done. I would appreciate it.

Firefighter503
08-19-2014, 07:55
Look below this post (the Quick Reply box).

1. Type what you would like to type (for example: Weight Calculation Spreadsheet).
2. Highlight the words you want to make a link.
3. Click the button above the text box that looks like the Earth with a little piece of chain in front of it. You will see one box with your highlighted text, and another for the link.
4. Copy/paste the link you want to insert in that box. Hit 'OK'.
5. Hit 'Post Quick Reply'.

JaketheFake
08-19-2014, 12:59
Thank you... do I have to upload my excel file somewhere first... I cant link it right off my computer?

Charliev
09-08-2014, 09:01
I would love to try your spread sheet. I have one I use but am always looking for a better one. Thanks for your work doing this. I find a spreadsheet an invaluable aid in building my pack. You know everyone that hikes uses a spreadsheet, some have developed it in their head from years of experience, some like me with short term memory loss need it on paper or computer. As a noob I really appreciate all the ones that have gone before me and have shared their experiences and pack list on forums such as this. Will send PM

Charliev
09-10-2014, 13:12
Got a copy of the spreadsheet. Very nice, good job and thanks again. I like being able to add and remove items from gear list an not losing track of the items. Very handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk