PDA

View Full Version : 70 Litre pack too much for Thru-Hike?

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 15:35
Hey guys, I've been active the past couple of days with questions about gear. Here's my next one - Is a 70 Litre pack too much for a through hike? As of right now, I am planning on starting in mid-February on my NOBO AT Thru. 70 Litres is definitely enough to keep all of the things I need, but should I think about replacing my Osprey Aether 70 with something smaller and/or lighter?

Derf
08-14-2014, 16:11
Just remember one thing the bigger it is you think you need to fill it up. Started this year with a Deuter 65+10 going back next year (mid-Feb) with a Exos 48 and everything I need fits in it. You carry what you want and think you need not what others are doing thats what makes it fun we all are different.

swjohnsey
08-14-2014, 16:16
Huge pack and February start sound like a recipe for failure.

DandT40
08-14-2014, 16:31
I have Aether 70 too and use it when I go backpacking with my wife and kids since we need a four person tent and I usually carry a lot of the kids gear to lighten their loads. But solo? I can't imagine filling the thing. You can cut the weight of your pack in half by going with something smaller so I would consider that. I got an exos 48 for solo trips and I am happy with that.

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 16:46
I was thinking the 70 would be absurd for a thru. Thanks guys. Anybody have some ideas on packs that would be good? What are some thoughts on the RMW Jensen?

AO2134
08-14-2014, 16:46
I have REI flash 62. It weighs 3 lbs. A great pack. I think you can get everything you need into it.

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 16:48
Awesome. I'll need to go to the local outfitter and try a couple packs on. I've heard that REI's packs are awesome. I'll have to take a look at it.

colorado_rob
08-14-2014, 16:53
The Aether 70 is a fine pack for winter mountaineering, or for "heavy thinkers", but not for a thru hike. Get yourself 50 liters or less and sub 2.5 pounds but with a decent suspension and hip belt and you'll be good to go. Plenty of great packs out there, such as the ULA circuit or ohm 2.0.

linus72
08-14-2014, 16:55
I have an REI flash 45 and has been great for multi-day sections. The more I do them and get down to what i really need, the more I think the 45 might be enough for a thru but I think 50+ is prob safer. Quality and weight wise though its been amazing. I cant imagine filling or carrying a 70.

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2014, 16:58
I too have the REI flash. I don't love it... per sa... but for the price (especially if you can wait til REI has a 20% off REI items) and the weight of the empty pack, I still have to recommend it.

My only problems with the pack:
1. Using the bottom lash straps to hold a tent - if you don't lash it down super tight, the tent tends to slip out.
2. The top of the pack... after you cinch closed the main compartment, there's two lashes to clip and then you've got to flop the top pocket into place - makes it a bit awkward.

But when you consider that you can easily pick this 3 lbs pack up for about $150 (if you can wait for one of the regularly scheduled sales), it is worth the price (and the new black color is a lot better than the pea-soup yellow I have now).

swisscross
08-14-2014, 17:22
The Aether 70 is a fine pack for winter mountaineering, or for "heavy thinkers", but not for a thru hike. Get yourself 50 liters or less and sub 2.5 pounds but with a decent suspension and hip belt and you'll be good to go. Plenty of great packs out there, such as the ULA circuit or ohm 2.0.

ULA quotes the Circuit at 4200 ci = 68 liters
and the Ohm 3,960 ci = 63 liters

Not a huge difference compared to the Aether 70.
The weight is a big difference though.

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 17:30
I am loving what I see with the ULA Circuit. Anybody used this bag and have any firsthand experience? If so, how's the quality of the build, the suspension, and how would you rate the durability? Looks like it has plenty of room in it for everything I'd need on my thru. Just curious about opinions from actual users instead of magazines or Amazon.

swjohnsey
08-14-2014, 17:45
ULA is bullt by hikers for hikers, really can't be compared to mass marketing stuff. I used a Ohm 2.0 in '12 and it came through without a scratch until the last day going up Katahdin. Tore a hole in one of the side pockets squeezing through a narrow spot. Sent it back to get it repaired and he sent me a new one. He will build you a pack any way you want it.

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 17:49
What about the Granite Gear and Rivendell Mountain Works stuff? Anybody have any experience with those on extended trips?

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2014, 18:11

The weight is a big difference though.

The main body of a ULA circuit is only 2400ci, it's nowhere close to a 70 litre pack. The company lists the total volume of the large external pockets on their site but make it clear that it is separate from the main compartment.

I have a ULA circuit and love it, but it would say that in practice the size is closer to my old Gregory z55.

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2014, 18:15
Also, I personally couldn't fit my winter gear into my circuit and I would ventire to guess that the majority if hikers couldn't either. The pack is only supposed to handle 30lbs, 35lbs max. The same company makes a larger Catalyst model which you might want to check out.

Again, it is a great pack, just make sure that it can fit all the stuff you plan to carry.

lemon b
08-14-2014, 18:23
Does it have a removeable hood like the Osprey Atlmos 65? Which is what I use and also noticed a few thru's using over the years , but they had ditched the top part. Rather than dropping the money on another pack it might be wiser to use the money on something else like a bag or shelter.

colorado_rob
08-14-2014, 18:29

The weight is a big difference though.those volume quotes include the outside pockets. My OHM 2.0 holds about as much stuff inside as my 46-50 liter Osprey packs.

And no, I'm not promoting using a ULA circuit or Ohm on a full-winter hike, but the circuit, at least, should be fine for some warm stuff for a mid-February start, and yes, realizing that there's plenty of "winter" left. My mid-feb pack would weigh sub-30, no sweat, with 3-4 days of food.

Another Kevin
08-14-2014, 21:50
Also, I personally couldn't fit my winter gear into my circuit and I would ventire to guess that the majority if hikers couldn't either. The pack is only supposed to handle 30lbs, 35lbs max. The same company makes a larger Catalyst model which you might want to check out.

Again, it is a great pack, just make sure that it can fit all the stuff you plan to carry.

What he said. I was envious of his Circuit the last time we hiked together because I was lugging around my 65 litre pack, with maybe 45 litres of stuff in it, except of course that the sleeping bag and clothing expand to fill the volume. But my pack was $80 at an REI garage sale, it fits my winter gear, and I haven't yet brought myself to spend bigger $$$ on a pack that I'll use only six months out of the year.

Oh, and if you're asking a newbie question about what pack to get, you're nowhere near experienced enough with winter backpacking for a February start. You might still make it, but you won't enjoy the first few weeks. Old Man Winter is a harsh taskmaster and will beat you for even minor mistakes.

swisscross
08-14-2014, 21:53
What about the Granite Gear and Rivendell Mountain Works stuff? Anybody have any experience with those on extended trips?

Granite gear makes a fantastic pack...no experience with rivendell.

OverTheHills
08-14-2014, 21:56
Ive backpacked in the smokies during winter a few times. Week-long trips usually. I love my Aether, and it has served me well on those outings. My question really was just if I should look at something smaller for the entire through.

Astro
08-14-2014, 22:51

I am very happy with my Catalyst. With winter gear it provides a more space and support (weight) than the Circuit. I would strongly recommend ULA myself.

I would also think if you can do it, a late March or early April start would be better. One of my students started NOBO in mid-May and he is in Maine now. He just took off and did not have to worry about the snow and freezing rain slowing him down. Also less gear and clothes to carry.

bigcranky
08-15-2014, 19:51
He's starting in mid-February, and will need a larger sleeping bag and more clothing, as well as more food. A 70 liter pack is fine.

Venchka
08-15-2014, 20:45
I was thinking the 70 would be absurd for a thru. Thanks guys. Anybody have some ideas on packs that would be good? What are some thoughts on the RMW Jensen?

I bought my Jensen pack from the original folks at Rivendell in 1974. Still have it. Planning to use it when I get back to backpacking. The strongest, most durable, 2.5 pound pack made. True load transfer in a frameless pack. The WM Vistalite will fit the sleeping bag compartment. I already tried at my local WM dealer. Buy the pockets too. They are great for things you need on the trail. The one downside: your sleeping bag MUST pack small. I may buy the Giant Jensen for my winter bag. I still sometimes regret not buying the Giant back when. Search here. I have posted about the Jensen packs before.

Wayne

Venchka
08-15-2014, 20:45
He's starting in mid-February, and will need a larger sleeping bag and more clothing, as well as more food. A 70 liter pack is fine.

Amen Brother!

Wayne

Venchka
08-15-2014, 20:47
Ive backpacked in the smokies during winter a few times. Week-long trips usually. I love my Aether, and it has served me well on those outings. My question really was just if I should look at something smaller for the entire through.

Given your start date , you could easily need 2 bags and 2 packs. I said before in your sleeping bag thread.
Good luck.

Wayne

bobtomaskovic
08-16-2014, 02:41
I carried an old Kelty redcloud on my thru. Sometimes it was nice having the big pack, like after I got hungry.

sympathetic joy
08-16-2014, 10:17
Size doesn't matter.

What matters is how you use it :D

swjohnsey
08-16-2014, 11:00
She told you that?

colorado_rob
08-16-2014, 12:33
I realize you're 19, OP, and probably somewhat inexperienced (though not necessarily so), but don't buy into the constantly perpetuated myth that a winter kit needs to be huge and heavy. Of course it will weigh more than a summer one and be larger, but my kit is only 7-8 pounds heavier (17-18 base weight) for the dead of winter and still fits into my 50L pack easily. Plus: mid February is no longer the dead of winter; days are getting longer quickly, more sun, etc. Sure you will have the definite possibility of a winter storm and you have to be ready. You've got plenty of time to educate yourself and get a totally safe and warm system that will easily fit into 50-55 liters.

OverTheHills
08-16-2014, 13:37
Right on. I knew winter stuff now wasn't necessarily heavier with new technology. I'm curious about these Rivendell bags. Wayne has yet to let me down on giving some very solid advice. Anyone know roughly how much the Jensen and the Giant Jensen hold in liters?

Venchka
08-16-2014, 22:29
Right on. I knew winter stuff now wasn't necessarily heavier with new technology. I'm curious about these Rivendell bags. Wayne has yet to let me down on giving some very solid advice. Anyone know roughly how much the Jensen and the Giant Jensen hold in liters?

Go to the web site. Go to the pack sizing page. Read the chart.
Or, find my dissertation in a recent (this summer) thread in the Pack forum discussing frameless packs. I provided numerous links.
The original Jensen, with pockets, is 63 liters. The Giant is larger.
The pack was designed for climbing. At altitude. In places like Alaska. The pack can get hot. So can my other pack with a fancy mesh and foam panel. Backpacks don't have A/C.

Wayne

Venchka
08-16-2014, 22:39
My size medium with pockets is 63 liters. Each torso size pack is slightly different. Like most all packs. The pockets are 760 cubic inches. Google can convert those to liters.

Wayne

OverTheHills
08-17-2014, 01:43
Thanks Wayne! These things look so exceptional.

Venchka
08-17-2014, 14:06
One of a kind. They have outlasted countless latest and greatest Widgets.
What is your torso length?

Wayne

OverTheHills
08-17-2014, 14:08
Honestly, not too sure. I wear a 42 Regular suit jacket, and I have the large Osprey Aether, if that helps.

Patrickjd9
08-17-2014, 17:00
You could choose to get through the Smokies or Mt. Rogers with the pack you have, given your February start. You can be a little warmer (but slower) in the early going with some extra stuff. Then swap into light gear in Hot Springs or Damascus, when you'll no longer have to buy for such cold weather.

You definitely could shave 1 1/2 pounds off the pack itself, even compared to my 7 or 8 year old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. The Granite Gear pack has done everything I've asked of it, no troubles except for the occasional whining of an old guy transitioning from an external frame to a top-loading single compartment pack.

Venchka
08-17-2014, 19:34
Honestly, not too sure. I wear a 42 Regular suit jacket, and I have the large Osprey Aether, if that helps.

Ok. Should have asked the size of your Aether. You probably saved me from doing something stupid. Like offering to sell you my original Jensen pack.

Wayne

OverTheHills
08-17-2014, 19:39
Haha. Shoot Wayne, I will say I have just about made up my mind on getting a Jensen. Just two problems, the WM Versalite does fit in the area for sleeping bags, right? And how should I approach packing it with that middle divider? Just distribute weight as evenly as possible?

kayak karl
08-17-2014, 19:45
i keep weight close to the center of my back. everybody packs different.

permagrin
08-17-2014, 21:44
I just gotta weigh in here with everyone else. I bought 70L Osprey Aether for my 2015 AT hike and LOVE it. The hipbelt and suspsension are light years ahead of my old 1990 era Kelty backpack. I need the extra weight because (and yes, this is no lie) my girlfriend loves nature and every time we go, she has to collect a rock-yeah-a rock, like the ones the come out of the ground, for me to carry back :)

permagrin
08-17-2014, 21:46
Correction-space-extra space, not weight. I could probably go with something around 60L, but then again I'd lose all the fun of having enough room for those aforementioned rocks.

Venchka
08-18-2014, 08:47
Haha. Shoot Wayne, I will say I have just about made up my mind on getting a Jensen. Just two problems, the WM Versalite does fit in the area for sleeping bags, right? And how should I approach packing it with that middle divider? Just distribute weight as evenly as possible?

The Truth: I have not actually stuffed a WM Vistalite in my Jensen. The old REI bag I used with my Jensen had the same weight of down (20 ounces), similar dimensions and heavier fabric as the Vistalite. I also have stuffed the WM Ultralite in my Jensen at the local dealer. The Ultralite went in with the same effort as my old REI bag. I also stuffed my WM Antelope Super Dryloft bag (26 ounces down and same dimensions as the Vistalite) in the Jensen. It went in, but with more difficulty than I would like.
I therefore concluded that the Vistalite would fit in the sleeping bag compartment of the original Jensen.
A phone call to Rivendell to verify all of this would be in order.
The current model corrects the things I have always wanted in my pack. Vapor barrier behind the back panel. Fabric cut with a hot knife. And most important: A compression strap in the sleeping bag tube.
One last tip: I recently bought an REI roll top stuff sack (http://www.rei.com/product/862471/rei-waterproof-lightweight-dry-sack#specsTab). 15 liters as I recall-I can verify that. It fits perfectly in the vertical compartments. By trapping some air, it firms up the back panel perfectly. Like the more expensive "air frames" that the UL folks sell. I will add a second one for the other vertical area the next time REI has a sale. I might even add a third one. WIN-WIN-WIN. Padding. Stiffening. Organization. Water protection.
Do buy the pockets. At least have the snaps installed for the pockets and add them later.
Good luck!

Wayne

colorado_rob
08-18-2014, 11:33
Haha. Shoot Wayne, I will say I have just about made up my mind on getting a Jensen. Please reconsider right away and consider other, lighter, cheaper and probably way more comfortable options. WHY would you want a pack like this when there are so many other options out there? This has to be a very hot-to-wear pack, ain't cheap, and it's heavy. What is the upside? Nostalgia for this type of pack? Please reconsider, or at least continue your research.

OverTheHills
08-18-2014, 11:56
Research is a constant at this point. I'm planning to go on this thru in February of 2016. I've got plenty of time to make up my mind on the finalization of the gear area.

Venchka
08-18-2014, 13:47
Oh. I thought you were going in 2015. With that much time, the gear you end up with hasn't made it to the market yet.

You have time for Dan Mchale to build you a really great backpack.
An honest recommendation from someone with above average experience.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64732-Which-McHale-for-the-CDT&p=1045505&viewfull=1#post1045505

Right Rob?

Wayne