PDA

View Full Version : Spinger Mountain to Woody Gap - advice wanted

WAMMAN
08-15-2014, 10:19
Hey everyone, my Dad and I are planning a spur of the moment trip for next weekend and would love some feedback.

Friday: Driving from Jacksonville to Woody Gap (leaving very early), leaving the car and shuttling to Springer. Hike to Stover Creek.
Saturday: Stover Creek to Justus Creek
Sunday: Justus Creek to Woody Gap. Drive home

We're both in decent shape and have done various hikes in Ga,NC,TN but it's been a few years.

I'd love any advice/feedback you might have

AfghanVet
08-15-2014, 10:32
Stover Creek is a pretty short and easy clip starting at Springer. I don't know roughly what time of day you are planning to leave out but if you have enough daylight, I might recommend trying to get to Hawk Mountain. Even if you don't quite make it to Hawk Mountain the area at Long Creek Falls is a great place to camp. That's my very limited insight, best of luck.

AO2134
08-15-2014, 11:48
Sounds like you have a decent plan there. 2.8 miles day 1. 11.6 miles day 2. Day 3 6.6 miles. It sounds like you are having 1/2 days at best on day 1 and 3. I think your plan is completely reasonable.

If you finish early on day 1, you can camp at campsites just before Long Creek falls at 4.7 miles. Which would make day 2, 2 miles shorter/easier.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with your plan.

WAMMAN
08-15-2014, 12:59
Sounds like you have a decent plan there. 2.8 miles day 1. 11.6 miles day 2. Day 3 6.6 miles. It sounds like you are having 1/2 days at best on day 1 and 3. I think your plan is completely reasonable.

If you finish early on day 1, you can camp at campsites just before Long Creek falls at 4.7 miles. Which would make day 2, 2 miles shorter/easier.

Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with your plan.

Great! That's the type of info I was hoping for. Ideally I would rather do it the way you've suggested. Does anyone know how the water is running up there right now?

AfghanVet
08-15-2014, 13:13
I was up there as far as Hawk Mountain Sunday. That far in at least, you'll have no problems. If I remember properly, there's about a 7 mile stretch after Hawk Mountain with no water but again, I'm not positive on this.

AO2134
08-15-2014, 13:36
As AfghanVet said, resupply your water and rehydrate (take a longer lunch break) at or near Hawk Mountain Shelter. That will be your last water source for 6ish miles until justice creek.

During the night at justice creek, rehydrate again and resupply with water for long trek. There are some water sources between Justice Creek and Woody Gap, but if you hydrate well that night and resupply well, you probably will be find for the remaining 6.6 miles.

I don't personally know how Blackwell Creek is doing 1.1 miles past justice creek nor do I know how Gooch Mountain Shelter/Gooch Gap water is doing. If you are running low, take a look at these just in case. But with less than 7 miles to your car, water would be the least of my concern at that point.

daddytwosticks
08-15-2014, 16:19
Blackwell Creek is a pretty good size/flow creek. If that is dry, we're in a world of s%^t! PM Fatman who spends lots of time on this section of the trail and the Suches area. He should give you updated info on water. :)

Praha4
08-15-2014, 19:35
I was there 2 weeks ago, and the Gooch Mtn Shelter spring was flowing. Blackwell creek was flowing well too. Also, the Army had stationed a water buffalo at Horse Gap. Many of the small springs along the trail were dry, but all creeks were flowing. There's a designated tent camping site just north of Justus Creek. Have a great hike.

WAMMAN
08-16-2014, 16:07
Thanks for all the help guys.

AfghanVet
08-16-2014, 17:19
You are welcome man, it's nice to have knowledge, albeit very limited to share with others. I wouldn't have ever even tried hiking if it weren't for the generosity and patience of folks on White Blaze :)