PDA

View Full Version : Where have you hiked the most at on the AT? Poll

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2014, 13:26
I thought that a poll of the subject head would help others see just how much experience people on whiteblaze have. Which is alot, and a WHOLE LOT more then I personally have. If you would like after you poll, you can add what trails or trail goals you have completed, the year, and apx how many miles you have walked on the trail. I think that stuff is interesting.

shakey_snake
08-15-2014, 13:54
unintentional racism is kinda funny.

RED-DOG
08-15-2014, 13:56
I have thru-hiked the AT three times, completed numerous section hikes, All together I have clocked 12,300 AT miles, you need to remember I started solo hiking when I was 13 years old.
I also have completed the Foot Hills Trail 3 times.
Mountain To Sea Trail 1 time.
Pinhotti trail 1 time.
the Vermont LongTrail 1 time.
and some trails in the rockies i don't remember the names of.

Feral Bill
08-15-2014, 14:12
I grew up in NYC, so hiked a lot in Harriman, often on the AT.

And do watch the spelling, please.

AfghanVet
08-15-2014, 14:51
I've only set foot on the AT in Georgia and very briefly in VA.

illabelle
08-15-2014, 14:52
Husband and I have completed 820+ miles. Only states we've done entirely are MD and NJ. We've completed 1/3 of PA, 1/2 of VT, 1/3 of VA, and 6 measly miles of NH. Only states we haven't set foot in are CT and ME. We lack about 130 miles between Springer and Damascus (a little in GA, little pieces here and there in TN/NC).
Overall plan is to complete the whole trail by the end of 2019. After that we'll sit on the couch and transform ourselves into total slobs.:p

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2014, 15:21
Sorry about the spelling guys didnt mean to!

Dogwood
08-15-2014, 16:35
I hear that Appalachian Trail thing has lots of white paint on trees. Is that true?

Roanmtnman
08-17-2014, 17:28
Nc/Tn is where i have done most all of mine

FlyPaper
08-18-2014, 10:06
Check out this heat map. Though not totally scientific, it is based on a collection of section hike records of hundreds of hikers.

http://www.atdist.com/heatmap

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 10:38
Check out this heat map. Though not totally scientific, it is based on a collection of section hike records of hundreds of hikers.

http://www.atdist.com/heatmap

Can someone click on the link in my signiture and tell me if the AT calculator brings up a blank sheet or the 291 miles I have stated in signiture. I like this application although I wish it had more detailed start stop points as most of them are shelters, which are hard to indefinately stop at for a trip haha

Deer Hunter
08-18-2014, 10:57
It's blank.

FlyPaper
08-18-2014, 10:57
Can someone click on the link in my signiture and tell me if the AT calculator brings up a blank sheet or the 291 miles I have stated in signiture. I like this application although I wish it had more detailed start stop points as most of them are shelters, which are hard to indefinately stop at for a trip haha

The link in your signature brings up a blank sheet. To display sections you've walked, cut and paste the link from within the log view. For me this is http://www.atdist.com/logview?l=Faix7WQhrbjjkkjulAMwtG&h=57db1b

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 11:25
Thanks! Sorry Fly didnt see the responses here until after I responded to PM

Odd Man Out
08-18-2014, 11:28
... I like this application although I wish it had more detailed start stop points as most of them are shelters, which are hard to indefinately stop at for a trip haha

There is this one

http://www.summitpost.org/appalachian-trail-mileage-chart/593282

Odd Man Out
08-18-2014, 11:31
Interesting that MD gets so much traffic, considering it has so few miles.

I use that AT distance data web site a lot. I didn't know they had a "heat map" based on what had been hiked. I entered my sections so I can be represented.

saltysack
08-18-2014, 13:02
I have thru-hiked the AT three times, completed numerous section hikes, All together I have clocked 12,300 AT miles, you need to remember I started solo hiking when I was 13 years old.
I also have completed the Foot Hills Trail 3 times.
Mountain To Sea Trail 1 time.
Pinhotti trail 1 time.
the Vermont LongTrail 1 time.
and some trails in the rockies i don't remember the names of.

How do u compare fht to AT in Ga-Nc? I hope to thru fht in lil over 4 days.....I normally hike 15-18 on southern AT......thoughts on difficulty as u obviously have done some serious hiking!!!

Ktaadn
08-18-2014, 13:38
Interesting that MD gets so much traffic, considering it has so few miles.

I use that AT distance data web site a lot. I didn't know they had a "heat map" based on what had been hiked. I entered my sections so I can be represented.

I'm colorblind so the heat map is a little confusing to me, but I would say the MD phenomenon is related to the sheer number of people that live within a given distance of the AT in that area.

Cookerhiker
08-18-2014, 15:48
I completed the AT via section hiking - took 29 years. The states where I've spent the most trail time & miles are Virginia and Vermont (thru-hiked the Long Trail in '07 (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) and did other hikes there as well).

FlyPaper
08-18-2014, 20:08
Thanks! Sorry Fly didnt see the responses here until after I responded to PM

Hey Gambit, I tried to PM back, but apparently your inbox is full. Please delete some messages so I can PM.