PDA

View Full Version : Camping between Wilbur Dam Rd and Vandeventer shelter?

LittleRock
08-15-2014, 15:38
Planning a NOBO trip starting at Dennis Cove next month, but just read on the ATC website that the trail from US 321 to Wilbur Dam Rd is off-limits to camping due to recent bear activity and Watauga Lake shelter is closed. Dennis Cove to Wilbur Dam is about 13 miles, which is fine, but I'd rather not try to pull off an extra 5 miles up to Vandeventer on my first day.

Anyone know of good campsites with water between Wilbur Dam Rd and Vandeventer (preferably closer to Wilbur Dam)?

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2014, 15:49
Honestly this is my least favorite section of the 300 miles ive hiked since October haha its spooky, quiet and no water to speak of after wilber dam. And no there isnt but mybe 2-3 small spots that could be used to ghost camp between Vendeventer and wilber dam. My suggestion would be to start at Dennis Cove and head SOUTH to Carvers Gap :) no thats a great trip lol

As well Vend. shelter is haunted (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?99638-Vandeventer-shelter-is-haunted-by-Janice-Balza-I-promise!)

Toga
08-15-2014, 15:52
Primitive camping a few paces north of Wilbur Dam Rd, no water. I don't recall there being good camping from until your on top of the ridge at the shelter. When I did this section in May ,bears were definitely a problem.

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2014, 15:56
Damn Bears!

Gambit McCrae
08-15-2014, 16:00
If you are going to TN 91 then before you get to the shelter past vend. shelter, there is a lonely apple tree that I do believe saved my life, or at least saved dehydration on that section last december. Green sweet juicy apples then Idk about now :) It is trail left about 7 miles past vent shelter

LittleRock
08-15-2014, 16:31
Thanks for the advice! I'll probably grab some water from the shelter and camp at the primitive site.

I'm not looking forward to this section either, but I've got to do it since my goal is to finish the entire trail. Hopefully, Damascus and Grayson Highlands will make up for it later on in my hike.

Slo-go'en
08-15-2014, 18:10
Actually, the water is 0.7 miles before the shelter going NOBO. I believe people camp near the spring, but it's not a great place to camp. By the time you get to the spring, you've done 99% of the up hill climb (and it's a stiff climb), so you might as well stumble the rest of the way to the shelter, which has a great view out back.

There is no other water between Watauga shelter and the spring before Vandeventer. It is better to carry the water the 0.7 up the trail to the shelter then to do the 0.3 vertical drop to water from the shelter, which you might find dry.

Toga
08-15-2014, 18:39
Here are the culprits, a mama and 3 cubs. This photo was taken about a 1/4 mile south of the dam this past May. A total of 3 NOBO'ers lost bags that night. Lucky for me, my hang held.

Even with the bear issues, I really enjoyed this section!