PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the GATC on the completion of the Grassy Gap to Liss Gap Relo

FatMan
08-17-2014, 16:46
Yesterday the GATC crews completed the Grassy Gap to Liss Gap relocation. The project was begun back in May by the ATC Konnarock crew along with the help of many GATC members. They were able to complete about 75% of the relo and after several additional work weekends by the GATC members the new trail section is now open. For reference, Grassy Gap and Liss Gap are Between Gooch Gap and Woody Gap about 16 miles north of Springer.

My property has the closest access to the work area and it was my pleasure to host the parking for most of the ATC members as well as we enjoyed hosting the the Konnarock crew to a night of showers, grilled burgers and hot dogs, beer, and billiards.

The work these folks do is hard and impressive. The new stretch of trail is very much improved and will provide thru hikers with some great views before the leaves come out.

The GATC has a busy schedule in the next couple of years in this area with relos around both Cooper Gap and Gooch Gap, both very over used and worn areas.

Thanks to all the trail volunteers for all they do.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2014, 07:10
I don't have my guide hand right now. Is Liss Gap north or south of Grassy Gap? About how many miles of trail has been re-routed? I may be doing some hiking down that way this fall. Thanks for all you do FatMan. :)

FatMan
08-18-2014, 09:29
I don't have my guide hand right now. Is Liss Gap north or south of Grassy Gap? About how many miles of trail has been re-routed? I may be doing some hiking down that way this fall. Thanks for all you do FatMan. :)Liss is north on the trail from Grassy Gap though the trail in this area actually runs west to east. Relo was only about .8 miles. The trail was moved from the north side of the ridge to the south side due to current and likely future viewshed issues. There is already one house that could be seen from the trail and more property is on the market nearby. Interestingly the new section of trail is actually where the trail was about 35 years ago. At that time it had to be moved to the north side because of a private property issue. So now it is back to where it was decades ago.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2014, 16:01
Liss is north on the trail from Grassy Gap though the trail in this area actually runs west to east. Relo was only about .8 miles. The trail was moved from the north side of the ridge to the south side due to current and likely future viewshed issues. There is already one house that could be seen from the trail and more property is on the market nearby. Interestingly the new section of trail is actually where the trail was about 35 years ago. At that time it had to be moved to the north side because of a private property issue. So now it is back to where it was decades ago. Thanks for the info. :)