PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for shakedown 3-4 night loop in PA/NJ area?

EastCoastClimber
08-18-2014, 01:20
Greetings,

I am looking to do 3-4 night solo shakedown, specifically looking for loop hike in PA, NJ area. Looking to park my SUV and not have to backtrack (or at least not the whole way back).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. Doesn't have to be on the AT

Busky2
08-18-2014, 16:28
Old Loggers Loop in Loyalsock State Forrest in Pennsylvania, near Williamsport, Pa. The trail, a just over 27 mile loop, has 200 to 800 foot climbs / descents with at least 10 campsite areas with nine of them creek side. There are 19 areas with access to water inclusive of the campsites. Three vista areas of intrest are Sullivan Mountian top area, Sharp Top Vista and Sprout Point Vista that dot the loop. The usual start and end of the loop is the Masten Ghost Town. There are some nice water falls to view too. So the trail is not to long or short is has some views along with some nice camp spots. You can make it a nice three nighter. Contact Tiadaghton State Forrest @ 570-327-3450 and they will send you a free topo map. Check out the web page for this trail it is one of Pa's premier trails. OLD LOGGERS PATH LINK (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/hiking/stateforesttrails/oldloggerspath/index.htm)

EastCoastClimber
08-20-2014, 16:36
Awesome, thanks Busky. This is exactly what I was looking for

EastCoastClimber
08-20-2014, 16:38
Is there parking at Masten?

Busky2
08-20-2014, 17:19
Yes there is parking right at Masten, and if you get there late in the day there is a campsite with water within 1/2 mile of the lot going counter-clockwise aka north of the lot. Call the state forest folks and they will get a map out to you ASAP

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2014, 17:34
Baton Trail in southern NJ is closer Logger path is fine... cant imagine whats wrong with an out and back? pet friendly and park at Batso Village - lots of WB members and Hammock forums do go there on a regular basis - bring hooch & ear plugs. Big ear plugs...

EastCoastClimber
08-20-2014, 18:19
Baton Trail in southern NJ is closer Logger path is fine... cant imagine whats wrong with an out and back? pet friendly and park at Batso Village - lots of WB members and Hammock forums do go there on a regular basis - bring hooch & ear plugs. Big ear plugs...

I love Batsto, I always go up to the Apple Pie Fire Tower, which is right along the Batona. Also, kayak the river.

Although I've never done the entire trail, these woods are in my backyard. I was looking more for change in elevation, views. But your right, Batona is perfect for a shakedown.

EastCoastClimber
08-20-2014, 18:21
Yes there is parking right at Masten, and if you get there late in the day there is a campsite with water within 1/2 mile of the lot going counter-clockwise aka north of the lot. Call the state forest folks and they will get a map out to you ASAP

I see they have a topo PDF on the link you provided. I can print out at home on large format printer and stick in zip lock bag.

Cookerhiker
08-23-2014, 09:57
Black Forest Trail in Northern PA, east of Williamsport. A 42 mile loop.

may79
08-27-2014, 20:18
Lookup the Quehanna Trail in central PA. It is a 73 mile loop with several connector trails that allow you to customize the distance you want to hike. I'm planning a 45 mile hike on it in September.