08-18-2014, 10:52
When I say Difficulty I am speaking in terms of:
Elevation
Water availability
Trail accessability in terms of time to get shuttles done
shelter quality
population of both people as well as bear hassle

Thanks!

I have not done all of NC, but I have done all of Georgia.

So far I'd say NC is about the same as Georgia in terms of difficulty.

Stir Fry
08-18-2014, 10:56
NC, GA, TN are all about the same you will not notice big changes until you get to VA. You still have big climbs but they are over a longer distance.

jbwood5
08-18-2014, 11:00
NC may be silghtly tougher, primarily due to the length of the uphills; i.e from NOC to Tellico/Cheoa Bald, and in GSM up to Clingman's Dome.

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 11:00
Ive gor about 250 miles of NC TN done. Just curious as I like to tent camp, and from looking at some shelter pictures it seems as though there is more tenting space around than what I have seen in NC TN. The Actual TENNESSEE ONLY north of davenport I feel is the easiest terrain I have seen besides MD.

Brings up another question. When I picture VA I imagine alot of it to be "open" like the Roan Highlands, or Max Patch, Big Bald etc. Now I understand that VA isnt going to just be 500 miles of Grassy meadowd mountain tops but is it a great deal more open then the green tunnel thus far on the trail?

RED-DOG
08-18-2014, 11:23
In my oppinion GA is the easier of the three The father north you travel the harder it gets, you start to get Considerable more of a elevation gain in NC and in TN 4,000- 5,000+ the trail is more rugged here and its more of a wilderness experience " less road crossings ", Water is easily accessible at all the shelters and some places in between except in DRY summers then water becomes a issue That's not the case this year this is a very wet year, The quality of shelters is about the same " don't expect much, theirs NO Privies in the TN section " Carry a tent and use it , less people until you get into the GSMNP then you got the " Tourist Hiker " to deal with, The population of bears is about the same except in the park, Theirs a bear population through out the AT from GA-ME if you handle you food correctly you shouldn't have problems, I never worried about shuttles I always hitched into towns NC and TN is easy to hitch in.

Seatbelt
08-18-2014, 11:27
NC may be silghtly tougher, primarily due to the length of the uphills; i.e from NOC to Tellico/Cheoa Bald, and in GSM up to Clingman's Dome.

Agree with this, having done all of both states. Water is not usually a problem or road access either except in the Smokies. Lots of people now in the Smokies thru Oct.

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 11:43
In my oppinion GA is the easier of the three The father north you travel the harder it gets, you start to get Considerable more of a elevation gain in NC and in TN 4,000- 5,000+ the trail is more rugged here and its more of a wilderness experience " less road crossings ".

Red are you saying GA is more rugged and wilderness like or NC TN is? I would like GA to be some sort of "change" from TN NC. Even if it is more hostels, trail towns, less up and downs etc lol

RED-DOG
08-18-2014, 11:56
Ive gor about 250 miles of NC TN done. Just curious as I like to tent camp, and from looking at some shelter pictures it seems as though there is more tenting space around than what I have seen in NC TN. The Actual TENNESSEE ONLY north of davenport I feel is the easiest terrain I have seen besides MD.

Brings up another question. When I picture VA I imagine alot of it to be "open" like the Roan Highlands, or Max Patch, Big Bald etc. Now I understand that VA isnt going to just be 500 miles of Grassy meadowd mountain tops but is it a great deal more open then the green tunnel thus far on the trail?
Far as the green tunnel goes VA is about the same as the states south of their, VA is NOT as easy as you think it is "DON'T LET THE AT MAPS FOOL YOU", theirs a couple of open fields like Grayson Highlands,You don't get into the open meadows until Central VA like SNP then it's kinda open But VA is 75% under cannopy If you don't want to walk in the green tunnel why don't. you wait until Late fall or early spring then it's all open .

RED-DOG
08-18-2014, 12:00
Red are you saying GA is more rugged and wilderness like or NC TN is? I would like GA to be some sort of "change" from TN NC. Even if it is more hostels, trail towns, less up and downs etc lol No GA is easier of the three, the climbs in GA is less up and down and less elevation change.

RED-DOG
08-18-2014, 12:07
I thought you was asking about NC and TN NOT GA.

RED-DOG
08-18-2014, 12:11
I thought you was asking about NC and TN NOT GA.
my previous post is abut NC and TN, GA is less rugged, more road crossings and more people.

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 12:29
Thanks Red Dog!

my previous post is abut NC and TN, GA is less rugged, more road crossings and more people.

Tennessee Viking
08-18-2014, 16:16
I think GA and the Nantalhalas are about equal in difficulty. Post Smokies going north in the TN and NC Pisgahs, there are not that many steep climbs or rocky areas.

Va only challenge is humidity and water.

I will take mountains and hollows any day as water is easier to find. Long ridgeline trail tend to be on the very top with less water.

Gambit McCrae
08-18-2014, 16:25
I will take mountains and hollows any day as water is easier to find. Long ridgeline trail tend to be on the very top with less water.

eXAMPLE: North Watauga Ridge line 15 miles to TN 91 where the osborne farm is? No water there lol

MuddyWaters
08-22-2014, 18:48
Its all the same really, nothing magic about the state lines. Trail tread is worse in ga though.

Cookerhiker
08-23-2014, 09:52
While Georgia's ups and downs aren't as long as some of the ones in NC, it seems like GA is constantly up and down. Sometimes in NC, you get relatively level stretches in-between whereas for most of Georgia, your ascent is immediately followed by a descent. Then again, it's been 10 years since I hiked most of GA & NC so perhaps my memory is jaded.:)

scope
08-25-2014, 12:45
Red are you saying GA is more rugged and wilderness like or NC TN is? I would like GA to be some sort of "change" from TN NC. Even if it is more hostels, trail towns, less up and downs etc lol

Ha, CookerHiker is right, more individual ups and downs in Ga. Almost no real ridgewalking. Couple of real nice vistas, but much much of it is PUDs. Nothing like Wesser or Wayah or Siler Balds, or Albert Mt. Still, some nice places to tent at the great vistas we do have, and a little less elevation (compared to NC) helps make those places very pleasant. Lots of tent sites, at least something within a hour, usually less, pretty much any stretch, save maybe that dry stretch from Gooch to Hawk shelter. More sites the further south you go. Personally, I found NC a lot less rugged than Ga, but a bit more challenging in the elevation.

Don't know that we really have trail towns so much as we have some towns more used to hikers than others. One of the furthest away, Hiawassee, might be the best. Otherwise, its Neel Gap and that's really about it. Helen is worth going to if you can hitch a ride as they'll have some watering holes staying up sort of late during football season.