PDA

View Full Version : Hundred Mile Wilderness Water Crossings

magneto
08-18-2014, 11:46
Hello all!

I'd like to ask the hive-mind about water crossings in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. I'm leaving in about week to hike it southbound. My AT databook has 7 marked water crossings with the notation "(ford)". I assume this means I'm getting wet? I ask because I am debating bringing shoes to wear in the water. I won't ford rivers barefoot (done that - won't do it again) and I really don't want to soak my trail runners. I don't want he extra weight of the shoes - I don't normally carry "camp shoes" anymore.

Has anyone been out there recently (say in the last couple of weeks)? How high are these crossings? Did you use separate footwear or did you just leave your trail shoes on and let them dry out after crossing?

Thanks!

Giuseppe
08-18-2014, 12:31
Your choice, waters shoes or get your trail shoes wet and walk them dry.

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
08-18-2014, 14:32
Magneto, I spoke with a couple of thru hikers last week about the hundred mile wilderness ,they told me it didn't matter what they did their feet got wet.They had trail runners and they said absolutely no leather boots. They also said if I only had two pair of socks bring a 3rd pair. We may cross paths next week. Tic Toc

magneto
08-18-2014, 14:43
That was my though. I have gun-boat size 15 6E feet - so a pair of Crocks weighs just shy of 16 oz - which is a lot now that I've gone ultralight. My concern is that modern trail shoes (I use the New Balance 1569 in a size 15 6E) are mostly glued together. I hate to think what they will look like after being submerged many times - but maybe it won't matter. I carry a small amount of duct tape for repair.

My thinking still is to leave the crocks at home and just deal with it.

I will see you guys out there, I'm sure!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
08-18-2014, 14:58
With all the rain we've had this summer, keeping your feet dry will be nearly impossible, fords or no fords.

magneto
08-18-2014, 15:00
I hear that. I recently climbed Mt Isolation - the trail in was a river - boots were completely wet. I survived...

BuckeyeBill
08-18-2014, 15:38
Does it help if you take your socks off first then put your shoes back on while crossing? after crossing put your socks back on unless your socks are already soaked.

bangorme
08-18-2014, 15:50
Last time I forded the Wild River in Hastings, NH I did it barefoot. I wished I had something else but didn't think it was worth it for one crossing.

swjohnsey
08-18-2014, 17:09
I was wet much of the time from the waist down.

YC 15
08-18-2014, 20:51
I was just out there last week. We had rain dumped on us! I counted 7 fords as well, all of which my feet were wet. I saw many different approaches but everyone got wet. Parts of the trail looked like a stream. The west branch of the Pleasant River was waste deep on me at it's worst(I'm 5'6"). I brought trail runners and no camp shoes. I hope you're blessed with good weather. I saw a lot of water shoes left at lean-tos for what it's worth. Hope this helps.

YC 15
08-18-2014, 20:54
"waist deep" the water was very clean.lol

magneto
08-18-2014, 20:58
YC 15: thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think the 100 Mile Wilderness was getting too tame - I'm glad to here it is not!! I am glad there will be some adventure, I'll pack all my stuff in dry sacks and leave the camp shoes at home!!

fireneck
08-20-2014, 11:18
When I cross a stream.... insoles and socks off, shoes laced tight.

Kerosene
08-20-2014, 14:59
I will be doing this section in late September this year. Based on my earlier fording experience, your boots/shoes are likely to be wet regardless. However, if the trail is dry then mesh trail runners should dry out in a few hours. If the trail is already wet then think of the ford as quick, cold bath!

I went to breathable trail runners about 4 years ago. Once a "waterproof" boot gets wet, it stays wet for days; plus, my feet sweat and were always hot. Trail runners let any standing water in right away, but over a multi-day hike your footwear will get wet regardless. I do carry 2-3 pairs of hiking socks, but what I find most effective is carrying a handful of light liners. The liners dry much more quickly, and putting liners on under your old wrung-out hiking socks makes your feet "think" that they're dry for awhile. Probably more mental than physical, but it feels nice.

magneto
08-20-2014, 16:23
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm bringing extra socks and planning to swim.

Josh D
08-20-2014, 16:39
In my experience I choose to where shoes with light-weight mesh uppers, easy to get wet, easy to get dry.

another unique option: I had a friend who would bring two plastic trash bags with him. every time there was a water crossing he would put the trash bags around his feet and legs, this would keep his shoes dry for anything that was less than mid-thigh deep. never tried this myself, but seemed to work for him.

magneto
08-20-2014, 16:40
I'll try that and report back...

ryanwflynn
08-20-2014, 19:25
I carried Waldies (the original Crocs) on my thru. Great camp shoes and for fording in Maine. I carried a camp towel and used it to dry my feet before putting my Salomon shoes back on. I suggest three pairs of socks (darn tough) while long distance hiking as well as a pair of board shorts (light weight.). Also, remember to unbuckle your straps on your pack while fording as a safety precaution. Happy trails!

Migrating Bird
08-20-2014, 19:39
Gaiters and 3 pairs of socks, 1 pair kept clean and dry for sleeping alternate the other two - your feet will thank you as they will always be clean although not dry except at night. Always cross with foot protection of some sort, those rocks are sharp and slippery.

magneto
08-22-2014, 05:38
Thanks everyone for the responses. As always WB is the best.

Unfortunately my dad suffered a massive heart attack yesterday; he did not survive. He was 72 and not well.

I still want to make this trip - I'll probably delay it by a week.

Good luck and God bless to everyone who is headed out to hike next week. Safe travel and good weather!

illabelle
08-22-2014, 05:59
Thanks everyone for the responses. As always WB is the best.
Unfortunately my dad suffered a massive heart attack yesterday; he did not survive. He was 72 and not well.

Oh my! Sorry to hear this. It's hard saying goodbye to a parent, especially when it happens suddenly. Wishing you and your family peace.

magneto
08-22-2014, 06:14
Thank you!

rocketsocks
08-22-2014, 07:23
Magneto, sorry to hear about your fathers passing, not easy to loose a parent, condolences from my family to yours, be well.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-22-2014, 07:24
Thank you!

So sorry to read about your dad magneto. Even when we know to expect it doesn't make it easier. Prayers for comfort and peace for you and your family.

magneto
08-22-2014, 07:26
Thanks!

Migrating Bird
08-22-2014, 07:54
Sorry to hear of your fathers passing.

saltysack
08-22-2014, 08:09
My condolences....

lemon b
08-22-2014, 09:32
Condolences and prayers Magneto. Lost my Dad in 2010 Mom in 2013. Still miss my father way more than he would want me too. Remember his in and out hikes when I was real young he taught me so much and always used to haul a big old frypan and bacon in the winter. He'd cook it up at our special spots and talk about respect for nature. Go over map reading skills and tell stories of his growing up on the mexician/texas border. Its the love we miss, but you'll be able to feel his spirit forever. Peace!

HeartWalker
08-22-2014, 10:38
So sorry Magneto. Lost my Dad last year on my hike right before Maine. Made it home in time to get one last smile. My heart goes out to you

RED-DOG
08-23-2014, 10:30
Maine is the wettest state of all on my 2006 thru it rained so much that I was wadding in waste deep water on the AT itself, so go expecting to get wet very wet.

squeezebox
08-23-2014, 19:12
Taking your pants off so they stay dry might be a reasonable thing to do.

magneto
08-24-2014, 05:03
Thanks again everyone for the condolences.

magneto
09-08-2014, 10:55
Been hiking in the 100 Mile Wilderness for 10 days. Started at Katahdin and went south.

Now 7.8 miles from end.

Only two fords so far: ankle deep at the East Branch of the Pleasant River and knee deep at Big Wilson Stream. Rope at Big Wilson was down - our party put it back up. It should be replaced but it is up now.

All other fords were rock-hops.

Heading our to Monson this afternoon - what a great hike!

Kerosene
09-08-2014, 10:59
Very timely update for me, magneto. I hope to hit the Wilderness in late September.

flemdawg1
09-08-2014, 13:23
I came back a week ago from hiking the 100MW and Kathadin. I wore my trail runners thru everything, and it seemed a waste to take them off. Because we walked thru so much mud, at least wearing them while fording got them abit cleaner.

saltysack
09-08-2014, 14:20
I came back a week ago from hiking the 100MW and Kathadin. I wore my trail runners thru everything, and it seemed a waste to take them off. Because we walked thru so much mud, at least wearing them while fording got them abit cleaner.

What were the temps like?

flemdawg1
09-08-2014, 15:52
What were the temps like?

upper 50s to low 80s.

saltysack
09-08-2014, 15:53
I'm ready for winter! Sounds warm....

magneto
09-08-2014, 21:23
Just finished my hike. I took the camp shoes after all and was glad I did. Each night I washed my feet and let them dry with the camp shoes. I also took my boots off at lunch to rest my feet. My boots stayed damp the whole time. I only got one small blister I treated with no problems.

You have to take care of your feet - I saw one guy come off the trail due to terrible blisters only part way through his hike.

quasarr
09-08-2014, 22:36
Ok I see magneto has already returned, but here is another fording idea. If the water isn't too deep or fast, you can cross with just socks. It protects your feet a little bit, and you can change into dry socks and shoes at the other side. I also don't like crossing barefoot but my feet feel relatively protected this way.

July
09-08-2014, 23:10
Just finished my hike. I took the camp shoes after all and was glad I did. Each night I washed my feet and let them dry with the camp shoes. I also took my boots off at lunch to rest my feet. My boots stayed damp the whole time. I only got one small blister I treated with no problems.

You have to take care of your feet - I saw one guy come off the trail due to terrible blisters only part way through his hike.

Awesome Magneto. The "Foot" is where Terra Firma meets Human. 28 Bones below the ankle, important transition area, esp when loaded. If you don't take care of your Feet, it will creep upwards...:)

JohnnySnook
09-09-2014, 05:24
I haven't hiked the whole trail(only a small section many years ago) but it seems that those NOBO hikers that have spent months on the trail just keep hiking with their shoes on no matter the conditions. I'm sure when the SOBO hikers hit NC/SC and Georgia they will be doing the same.

HighLiner
09-09-2014, 20:07
I hiked the 100 mile 2 weeks ago and stayed dry. We had no rain during the entire 10 day trip. Others before us, however, complained of a lot of water as mentioned earlier in this post. The fords were great, we took our boots off each time. Last year I stayed soaked for almost 3weeks from Kinsman to Monson. Timing and luck can sure impact a trip.

rafe
09-09-2014, 22:08
I've been through the HMW twice, once in August, once in September. Deepest water I had to ford was maybe eight or ten inches, at Big Wilson stream.

magneto
09-10-2014, 14:44
Thanks! After climbing Katahdin and hiking for a day to Abol Bridge, I noticed two huge blisters forming on the balls of my feet. Alarmed, I asked the advice of a thru-hiker I met on his way north. He advised taping them tight and allowing a callus to form. I added the tape and an extra pair of socks to prevent movement inside my boot - and that is exactly what happened. In the end, the skin was tough and protecting me from further issues. I was able to finish the hike with my feet in fine shape - and I could easily have kept going further. That advice saved my hike!

flemdawg1
09-10-2014, 15:18
I've been through the HMW twice, once in August, once in September. Deepest water I had to ford was maybe eight or ten inches, at Big Wilson stream.

Water must be pretty high this year. 3 x it was midthigh (~2.5 ft).

krawler
09-11-2014, 21:18
I know a lot of you don't like camp shoes or fording shoes bc of weight issues. Has anyone looked into a kayaking or playboat shoe. They are super light and basically a thin rubber sole on some fabric, I had bought a pair for my playboat bc u can't fit in kayak with crocs or wet shoes. They are at www.nrs.com (http://www.nrs.com) or www.outdoorplay.com (http://www.outdoorplay.com) usually referred to as a playboat shoe.

magneto
09-11-2014, 21:20
My problem is getting shoes in a size 14 or 15. The largest crocks at size 14 barely fit!

Sugarfoot
09-12-2014, 07:13
Magneto - My feet are not as long as yours, but I need relatively narrow shoes which are just as hard to find for a guy. You might look at zappos.com. They carry Crocs up to size 17. Just to give you and idea of the scope of their inventory, drilling down to "men's sneakers & athletic shoes/size 15/hiking" shows 98 models! I usually have what I order in just one or two days and they have a great return policy. Crocs don't work on my narrow feet; I carry Vivo Barefoot runners at 9 oz per pair at size 10.

magneto
09-12-2014, 13:11
Hey - thanks! I'll look!

Another Kevin
09-12-2014, 14:42
Been hiking in the 100 Mile Wilderness for 10 days. Started at Katahdin and went south.

Now 7.8 miles from end.

Only two fords so far: ankle deep at the East Branch of the Pleasant River and knee deep at Big Wilson Stream. Rope at Big Wilson was down - our party put it back up. It should be replaced but it is up now.

All other fords were rock-hops.

Heading our to Monson this afternoon - what a great hike!

Wow, you got cell coverage 8 miles into the HMW? That's a lot better than we do in the Adirondacks, where we don't get coverage even in the trail towns. There's been controversy for years about towers. For a long time, even Interstate 87 through there had no coverage. There are a couple of motels that have microcells, so you can sometimes call from a motel parking lot.

kofritz
09-12-2014, 15:25
i have heard about trash bags on pimps in New Orleans after Katrina to protect their 'gators (alligator shoes). it was a joke, but i thought it could work in the hunnies or other areas. i had to ford a 1 foot creek going SOBO to Glencliff NH (Hikers Welcome) before i heard the gators joke....i don't understand the lack of bridges....

rafe
09-12-2014, 16:15
i have heard about trash bags on pimps in New Orleans after Katrina to protect their 'gators (alligator shoes). it was a joke, but i thought it could work in the hunnies or other areas. i had to ford a 1 foot creek going SOBO to Glencliff NH (Hikers Welcome) before i heard the gators joke....i don't understand the lack of bridges....

I share your confusion... why no bridge, or stepping stones, or... well, something??? It seems the first mile or two NOBO from the road crossing were very poorly maintained. Sort of neglected.

I sloshed across that stream myself early this summer. My hike ended at the hostel, so it was no big deal getting shoes and socks wet. But actually, I used that same approach crossing Big Wilson stream last time through the HMW.

magneto
09-13-2014, 17:29
Wow, you got cell coverage 8 miles into the HMW? That's a lot better than we do in the Adirondacks, where we don't get coverage even in the trail towns. There's been controversy for years about towers. For a long time, even Interstate 87 through there had no coverage. There are a couple of motels that have microcells, so you can sometimes call from a motel parking lot.

Verizon cell / data coverage was good to great from Barren Ledges to Monson. I placed a voice call from the ME 15 parking area to Shaw's for a ride out. From Barren Ledges I left my phone on and got texts vas emails the rest of the way out - coverage was at least 95%.

My DeLorme InReach had full coverage the entire Wilderness and never unable to send/receive messages, even under the trees. Under heavy tree cover it just took a bit longer.

Slo-go'en
09-13-2014, 19:05
I share your confusion... why no bridge, or stepping stones, or... well, something??? It seems the first mile or two NOBO from the road crossing were very poorly maintained. Sort of neglected.

Probably because it would get washed away during the spring floods.