PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair Gap cell service? Betty Creek Gap campsite?

slbirdnerd
08-18-2014, 12:05
Hi! Does anyone know what the Verizon cell service is like at Winding Stair Gap, NC? Also, is the camping area at Betty Creek Gap decent? Seems like a logical stopping point and wondering if it has room for a few tents, water nearby, etc. Thanks!

map man
08-18-2014, 13:51
Betty Creek Gap is indeed a nice place to pitch a tent -- either right off the trail or down the side trail that heads to Betty Creek itself, though if you camp at the creek that is getting closer than some people like to a road.

Sorry, don't know about Verizon coverage.

Nooga
08-18-2014, 15:02
I had cell service (Verizon) at Rock Gap. Didn't check at Winding Stair Gap.

Trance
08-18-2014, 15:56
It's fine. Winding Stair is a normal place to call for a ride near Franklin if I remember from my hike.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2014, 15:56
I seem to remember it was sketchy there during my Memorial Day 2013 hike. Try making a call about a mile before getting to WSG (if going northbound) while you are still up on the ridgeline. I'm planning on doing Deep Gap to WSG this Labor Day weekend, if possible. Love that section. Have a great hike. :)

daddytwosticks
08-18-2014, 16:02
...that was with Verizon service. :)

Ron Haven
08-18-2014, 21:45
Hi! Does anyone know what the Verizon cell service is like at Winding Stair Gap, NC? Also, is the camping area at Betty Creek Gap decent? Seems like a logical stopping point and wondering if it has room for a few tents, water nearby, etc. Thanks!slbirdnerd (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?45971-slbirdnerd)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/statusicongreen/user-offline.pngYes, you will get great cell services at Winding Stair Gap near the road. We have a tower straight thru the gap toward Franklin. Bettys Creek is a great camp spot and has water to the right and left. If you are going south and turn right at Bettys Creek they are a big bold creek just a short ways out the Bettys Creek Trail.

Kerosene
08-18-2014, 22:01
I had good Verizon cell service at Winding Stair gap in May 2011 and May 2012. I do not recall checking at Betty Creek Gap as we just lunched there, but there were several decent spots for tents.

saltysack
08-19-2014, 07:31
Att stinks!!!

slbirdnerd
08-19-2014, 08:28
Thank you all! Thanks, Ron!

I'm assuming Betty Creek Gap has space for a few tents. Bringing friends this time. :) Daddytwosticks, we wil be out around there Labor Day weekend, hope to see you out!

Lester C
08-19-2014, 22:15
Verizon service was ok in WS Gap in June this year. Locals told me it was the only carrier with service in the area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk