PDA

View Full Version : Hydration Port Placement - Bottom instead?

Bluegrass
08-18-2014, 12:37
I have a question that might have an obvious answer that I am just not seeing.

Why are hydration ports on packs on the top of packs? Does it not make more sense for them to come out towards the area where the shoulder strap meets the bottom of the pack?

Let me explain:
Hydration bladders have a "top" and a "bottom". The top is usually where a hole exists to possibly clip it into the pack. At the bottom is the attachment point for the drinking tube. The drinking tube has to be at the bottom so that gravity can allow the user to drain the bladder using suction.

On my old packs there was no provision for a hydration bladder, meaning the drinking tube had to come out of the top of the pack, through the cinch hole. Manufacturers started seeing that they could make things easier by adding a small hole to route that tube. This hydration port would be towards the shoulder portion of the pack, usually with a symmetric design so the user could decide what side the tube should come out of. The port would be towards the top of the pack, oftentimes near where the top of the shoulder strap meets the pack.

At this point the tube attaches to the bottom of the bladder (and therefore towards the bottom of the pack), is routed up through the pack, out the hydration port, and over the user's shoulder. At this point the tube is directed down, and the user needs to bend the tube 180 degrees to drink.

At this point the tube makes two 180 degree turns to get from the bottom of the bladder to the user's mouth.

My question is why it goes through this process. Why not have a hydration port near where the shoulder straps meet the pack and run the tube along that strap? This would mean no 180 degree turns, and the tube could be shorter as a result. The only downside would be that routing the tube through the port would be more difficult, but I feel this would be a small downside.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

RebeccaS
08-18-2014, 14:04
One downside of having the port at the bottom of the pack would be that you would have to completely empty the pack to get the bladder out for refilling. I usually keep the bladder on top of everything else in my pack, not in the sleeve at the back of the pack, which means the top ports are quite convenient for me.

perdidochas
08-18-2014, 14:08

Why are hydration ports on packs on the top of packs? Does it not make more sense for them to come out towards the area where the shoulder strap meets the bottom of the pack?

Let me explain:
Hydration bladders have a "top" and a "bottom". The top is usually where a hole exists to possibly clip it into the pack. At the bottom is the attachment point for the drinking tube. The drinking tube has to be at the bottom so that gravity can allow the user to drain the bladder using suction.

On my old packs there was no provision for a hydration bladder, meaning the drinking tube had to come out of the top of the pack, through the cinch hole. Manufacturers started seeing that they could make things easier by adding a small hole to route that tube. This hydration port would be towards the shoulder portion of the pack, usually with a symmetric design so the user could decide what side the tube should come out of. The port would be towards the top of the pack, oftentimes near where the top of the shoulder strap meets the pack.

At this point the tube attaches to the bottom of the bladder (and therefore towards the bottom of the pack), is routed up through the pack, out the hydration port, and over the user's shoulder. At this point the tube is directed down, and the user needs to bend the tube 180 degrees to drink.

At this point the tube makes two 180 degree turns to get from the bottom of the bladder to the user's mouth.

My question is why it goes through this process. Why not have a hydration port near where the shoulder straps meet the pack and run the tube along that strap? This would mean no 180 degree turns, and the tube could be shorter as a result. The only downside would be that routing the tube through the port would be more difficult, but I feel this would be a small downside.

I'm not sure how your solution works any differently. In my hydration pouch on my Jansport external frame, the hydration pouch is basically at the top of the backpack, in between the backpack and my back. There is a 90 degree fitting on the side of the bag (standard hydration bag), and the tube comes up at that point, and goes over my shoulder, then makes a slow 180 degree curve to my mouth. If I were using the same hydration bag in the way you mention, I'd still have all of the same change in direction of water, but the tube would be mostly outside and would get in the way.

anvil440
08-20-2014, 00:37
What about when you take a break and set your pack down? The tube will be at the bottom of the pack and in the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckeyeBill
08-22-2014, 03:20
What about when you take a break and set your pack down? The tube will be at the bottom of the pack and in the dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try using a bite valve cover (http://www.rei.com/product/767112/platypus-bite-valve-cover).

garlic08
08-22-2014, 09:29
I'd be concerned about damaging the tube when you set the pack down.

From my experience with tubes, it also makes sense to keep as much of the tube inside the pack as possible to prevent snagging it on brush.

Bluegrass
08-22-2014, 11:48
A couple of remarks to followup on issues people have raised:
1) To somewhat mitigate the 180 degree turn on my chest - and to keep the tube under control, away from catching on things - I usually use a clip to keep the bite valve close to my sternum strap. This same clip would help keep the valve away from the ground when putting the pack down.

2) Because the tube would be going a shorter distance (basically hip to mouth), I would probably be cutting the tube to the correct length. Indeed, with a bottom port the amount of tube needed outside the pack would probably be about the same as coming out of the top of the pack, and the amount inside the pack would be significantly less.

perdidochas
08-22-2014, 12:55
A couple of remarks to followup on issues people have raised:
1) To somewhat mitigate the 180 degree turn on my chest - and to keep the tube under control, away from catching on things - I usually use a clip to keep the bite valve close to my sternum strap. This same clip would help keep the valve away from the ground when putting the pack down.

2) Because the tube would be going a shorter distance (basically hip to mouth), I would probably be cutting the tube to the correct length. Indeed, with a bottom port the amount of tube needed outside the pack would probably be about the same as coming out of the top of the pack, and the amount inside the pack would be significantly less.

Hip to mouth would be more likely to snag than over the shoulder to mouth, in my usage. I just don't understand the problem you have with the current method. I can't really visualize why your method would be better, and I can't visualize what is so wrong with the common method.

Siarl
08-22-2014, 14:32
To address that 'in the dirt' issue. I have a bite valve cover on mine and it was sold separately. I also have a clip on my over the shoulder strap that I slip the tube into when not in use. It keeps the bite valve and tube in place and up off the dirt. If you're taking the pack off then just lean it upright against a rock or tree or something. Out here in the Chihuahuan Desert we don't normally have trees but we do have plenty of rocks or I'll just lean it up against my leg. I would rather have most of the tube inside the pack and exiting through the top of the pack. This leaves most of the water out of the sun and cooler than it would be if the tube was exiting the bottom of the pack and leading up to the shoulder strap.

garlic08
08-22-2014, 15:55
...This leaves most of the water out of the sun and cooler than it would be if the tube was exiting the bottom of the pack and leading up to the shoulder strap.

And the converse would be true in freezing climates in the winter (message from Planet Obvious).

Cedar1974
10-15-2014, 09:11
I think the reason manufacturers have the hose come out the top is because the shoulder is closer to the mouth (Like duh) and it is easier to grab the hose from over your shoulder than to pull it up from the hip. Just an observation.

lonehiker
10-15-2014, 12:26

Let me explain:

I am not going to lose any sleep over this issue....

Starchild
10-15-2014, 13:41
Ive seen at least one hydration bladder with the hose coming thru the fill cap, which means it exits upwards.

theinfamousj
10-15-2014, 15:47
Gravity is not needed to make the water come out. Your hydration bladder is like a Capri Sun pack or a Platy soft bottle with sports lid. As you suck, you create a vacuum and stuff goes the way you suck.

Turn your bladder the orientation you consider 'upside down' in your pack if it eases your mind. Have the tube come out the top.

The hole is there for when Gravity is important: hanging to dry the bladder with the drain port open.

Starchild
10-15-2014, 16:07
Gravity is not needed to make the water come out. Your hydration bladder is like a Capri Sun pack or a Platy soft bottle with sports lid. As you suck, you create a vacuum and stuff goes the way you suck.

Turn your bladder the orientation you consider 'upside down' in your pack if it eases your mind. Have the tube come out the top.

The hole is there for when Gravity is important: hanging to dry the bladder with the drain port open.

Silly girl/guy bladders don't dry they just grow transparent funk then.

ChuckT
10-16-2014, 07:39
Is there a "good" method to cleaning one of these? I'm currently using rinse, refill with warm water and ounce or so household beach, then rinse 3x. But don't have a good handle on how to dry it throughly before I put it away. Adapt a hair dryer to blow (on low) the last humidity out?

Traveler
10-16-2014, 07:48
I usually will put the bite valve assembly with the hose inside the bladder (Pladypus or Camelbak), about half way down into the bladder. That expands the bladder to allow water to evaporate over time. If I am concerned about casual water left in the bladder, I will flip it over and hang it upside down so any water moves near the opening for faster evaporation.

ChuckT
10-16-2014, 08:10
Here in sunny bug-a-da any moisture needs to be evac'd. Extra effort but it pays off for me.

Tuckahoe
10-16-2014, 09:07
Is there a "good" method to cleaning one of these? I'm currently using rinse, refill with warm water and ounce or so household beach, then rinse 3x. But don't have a good handle on how to dry it throughly before I put it away. Adapt a hair dryer to blow (on low) the last humidity out?

When drying out sawyer bags and the like I will twist up a paper towel and stuff it into the mouth of the bottle to wick out the moisture.

ChuckT
10-16-2014, 10:15
"Kimwipes" work the best at that.

perdidochas
10-16-2014, 10:20

At Wal-Mart, they sell an Outdoor Products hydration bladder cleaning kit. It has a piece that you can put inside the bladder to keep it propped open so it can air dry. It also has a couple of brushes--a big one to brush the bladder, and a long-handled thin one to clean out the hoze. It's maybe $5, but works well.

ChuckT
10-16-2014, 10:36
U R right I recall seeing that. Give it a try. Thanks.

RangerZ
10-16-2014, 12:18
I usually will put the bite valve assembly with the hose inside the bladder (Pladypus or Camelbak), about half way down into the bladder. That expands the bladder to allow water to evaporate over time. If I am concerned about casual water left in the bladder, I will flip it over and hang it upside down so any water moves near the opening for faster evaporation.

I've been using a paint stirrer to keep the bladder open but may try the bite valve idea, one less piece of stuff. Shake it out for a day or two.

I just puff up my Sawyer bags and stand them on their mouth to dry.