PDA

View Full Version : directions to Max Patch from Asheville, NC

Big Dawg
10-09-2005, 13:15
I live 2 1/2 hours east of Asheville, NC. My family & I are planning a trip to Max Patch soon, & I need to know how long it will take us to make it from Asheville/I40 to the parking lot just below Max Patch summit. Also, I need specific directions,,, ie.. what exit from I40, name of road to Max Patch, & approximate length of road to the top parking lot (I think it's 7 miles). Thanks!! :sun

SnakebiteSurvivor
10-10-2005, 03:57
The exit is Harmon Den Road, which is Exit 7. Since Asheville is about at milepost 50, it would take roughly 45 minutes from Asheville to this exit. Don't ask me what a "Harmon Den" is!

Turn right at the exit. This is a pretty good gravel road, maybe 15-20 mph. It gets steeper toward the top but is passable by passenger car. Allow close to half an hour to get to the top. Avoid one Y turnoff to the right to a campground about halfway up (it's pretty obvious which way the main road goes). There's a big sign at the top telling hunters to be careful with guns (I'm not making this up!). There's a T intersection at this point. You go left at this intersection (the road runs along the ridgeline) and it's 3 or 4 miles to the parking lot below Max Patch (you can't miss it, there's a big bulletin board there).

Depending on how fast you drive, I'd allow about 90 minutes from Asheville.

Big Dawg
10-10-2005, 07:23
Thanks, Snakebitesurvivor!! :clap Man, your name begs an explanation? I always wonder what my day would be like if I was bitten by a snake & had to exit the woods immediately,,,,, would I be near an exit point, or would I have miles & miles before an exit, & would I make it? I try not to think about it too often,,, but I definately keep an eye on my surroundings when I hike.