PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for Section Hike

BrianOH72
08-18-2014, 21:34
I'm planning on doing a section hike in June and July of 2015. I'll be starting at Springer Mountain and hiking to Virginia. I'm wondering being that it's summer and the weather being warmer what I need to bring for clothing layers. Any suggestions on weights or brands would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stir Fry
08-18-2014, 21:52
Use Marino wool. One set of long johns 22 oz. and one set shorts 14oz. is all you need. I went from Springer to Marion Va. this year and ever needed more. Started March 20th. In hotels I hade gym shorts 3 oz. for laundry duty. also recommend you have a puff ball jacket of some type.

swjohnsey
08-18-2014, 22:01
You need a pair of poly short, poly short sleeve T-shirt and hat. Wear your ran suit for landry.

Odd Man Out
08-18-2014, 23:40
I was in VA (around Roanoke) in early July. Did not need sleeping clothes. Got tired or putting the rain jacket on so eventually just hiked in the rain. Wore a pair of long pants and a short sleeve shirt. Needed nothing else. I suppose GSMNP will be colder in June.

daddytwosticks
08-19-2014, 07:09
In addition to shorts, tee shirt, and rain gear, I would bring at least a lightweight hat (mine weighs 1 ounce) for sleeping and something like a 100 wt fleece sweater. I tend to sleep cold. :)

slbirdnerd
08-19-2014, 08:39
Howdy, neighbor! :) I spent 6 days on the trail in GA in June this year and another 2 finishing it the first weekend in August. Yes, it may be hot and you may only need shorts and a tee shirt most of the time... HOWEVER, August 2 a storm blew up and it was downright chilly at night, 50s. I learned never, ever leave the long base layer at home (which I had, brrr). You need your one set of synthetic clothes for hiking in, your one set for sleeping in/long layer, maybe a beanie hat but I have a buff that works for my head in summer. Couple pairs of socks. I carry a long-sleeved sun shirt and a very light fleece 1/4 zip. Maybe overkill but I wore it in August! Rain jacket/poncho.

I hike in a Nike DriFit shirt I got off a sale rack and a Mountain Hardwear kilt with ExOfficio classic boxer briefs. Yep, I'm a chic half in guys clothes but many women's "hiking" clothes/skirts are not at all practical. Socks: sometimes Darn Tough with a Fox River Xstatic liner, but found I love the Injinji toe socks (trail version) and they help immensely with some toe issues I have. Wearing Brooks Cascadia trail runners at this point. Love trail runners and find these sturdier than other brands.

Have a great hike next year!

BrianOH72
08-19-2014, 09:00
Thanks much for your response. So please forgive me if I seem a bit dumb with the clothing needed however I want to make sure I have the necessary items while at the same time not carrying things I won't use. So if I understand you right you would:

1. Bring a base layer (Marnio wool) for cold nights?
2. Rain gear
3. Short and shirt for sleeping/hiking
4. Lightweight fleece
5. Socks an underwear

Thanks much for your help!

slbirdnerd
08-19-2014, 10:59
Sounds good, but you may already know, don't sleep in your hiking clothes. Guessing if it's hot some guys sleep in skivvies? I carry a sleep shirt and sleep shorts, but they are also synthetic and weigh almost nothing. The long pants I'll take from now on are some old single-layer Adidas wind pants I have--very light weight but warm.

Odd Man Out
08-19-2014, 11:02
Thanks much for your response. So please forgive me if I seem a bit dumb with the clothing needed however I want to make sure I have the necessary items while at the same time not carrying things I won't use. So if I understand you right you would:

1. Bring a base layer (Marnio wool) for cold nights?
2. Rain gear
3. Short and shirt for sleeping/hiking
4. Lightweight fleece
5. Socks an underwear

Thanks much for your help!

Conventional wisdom is to never sleep in your hiking clothes, so if you have a base layer for nights, other sleeping clothes probably not necessary. I have very lightweight long pants vs shorts. I prefer the protection from sun, bugs, poison ivy. But that's a personal choice. Lots (most?) wear shorts.

garlic08
08-19-2014, 15:20
I would not bring a fleece, just a merino (note correct spelling) wool or synthetic jersey top and a very light rain jacket. No rain pants, and I agree with those who hike in light weight long trousers for sun, bug, and poison plant protection. If you can keep your sleeping insulation dry, there's no real need for dry sleeping clothing, though it's nice for comfortable camping.

Experience counts way more than gear. The best insulation available quickly becomes useless if you wear it on your first climb under your rain jacket, or let it get wet overnight in your shelter. A strong and experienced hiker can hike in cold rain all day with nothing more than a jersey and a jacket. He or she would have to stay fed and hydrated, have enough energy to keep moving and warm when wet, know when to stop for shelter and rest, and have dry insulation for that rest. Not every hiker has those skills immediately, and those who don't may need to carry more stuff.