PDA

View Full Version : 3 Day Trip in North Georgia - Which Trail?

simeo
08-18-2014, 21:45
Howdy, I'm looking to go for an 'escape' trip where I'll be backpacking out for 3 days. Getting away from the wife and kids and clearing my head a bit with God.

I live in North Georgia and I don't want to travel too far out. I'm also not looking to be hiking solid the whole trip with enough time to stop, relax, and journal a little.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe Duncan Ridge Trail but I'm not sure what others y'all may recommend. Any input appreciated! Thank you.

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2014, 08:20
There are endless possible routes in the smokies on both the TN and NC side of the park. You could always just walk the AT for 3 days. A great hike (30 miles) would be from Hughes Gap to Walnut mountain road. Thats only 10 miles a day and would provide you with some vvery peaceful scenery of both vistas as well as waterfalls. It would take you across the Roan Highlands which is a favorite sections for most on the trail. Enjoy your hike!

simeo
08-19-2014, 10:58
I appreciate the input. The only reason I wasn't thinking about the AT for this trip was how much it's traveled. But maybe I will do a section hike after all. I could probably start at Woody Gap and have my wife pick me up at Unicoi Gap. Google Maps says that's about 27 miles.

I'm wondering how private it will be this time of year.

Gambit McCrae
08-19-2014, 11:09
The NOBO thru hiker traffic is up north now and starting to finish. From now until the burst of fall leaves the trail will not be "crowded" October the trail sees a little traffic due to leaves, once the leaves fall the AT has little traffic until february for the early bird thru hikers, and then in March, April.....BOOM!!!! HIKERS EVERYWHERE!!!! haha but you should have it pretty close to yourself I would say.

simeo
08-20-2014, 12:06
The NOBO thru hiker traffic is up north now and starting to finish. From now until the burst of fall leaves the trail will not be "crowded" October the trail sees a little traffic due to leaves, once the leaves fall the AT has little traffic until february for the early bird thru hikers, and then in March, April.....BOOM!!!! HIKERS EVERYWHERE!!!! haha but you should have it pretty close to yourself I would say.

That's super encouraging! I was talking to my buddy who owns Smoky Mountain Trader and is much more experienced with the AT than me. He told me the same thing. "This time of year all the traffic you'll run into is heading to Springer Mnt."

I think it'll be fine. I'll hike from Gooch/Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap. 27 miles. What do you think.... 3 or 4 days?

FatMan
08-20-2014, 15:27
If you are looking for solitude and based upon you living in Cleveland I would recommend the Foothills trail. Chattooga River and lots of waterfalls. Another option would be the BMT. With that said, I was out on the AT today for 3+ hours and did not see a soul on the trail.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your hike.

simeo
08-20-2014, 22:44
If you are looking for solitude and based upon you living in Cleveland I would recommend the Foothills trail. Chattooga River and lots of waterfalls. Another option would be the BMT. With that said, I was out on the AT today for 3+ hours and did not see a soul on the trail.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your hike.

Where's the Foothills trail? Could you point me in the direction of some information for it?

I thought about the BMT but it heads Northwest while the AT heads Northeast.... right through my 'backyard'. It'll be easier for my wife to pick me up and drop me off for the AT.

FatMan
08-21-2014, 16:23
http://www.foothillstrail.org/