PDA

View Full Version : GA Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap Questions

simeo
08-19-2014, 11:14
Howdy, I'm looking to do a casual three day hike through Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap as a way to 'get away' and have my bi-annual "daddy gets to leave the house and spend time with God while mommy watches the kids and farm" trip. (we haven't come up with an official name for it) I'm looking to have a good deal of privacy so I could read and journal a little. I'll leave on a Thursday morning to be home Saturday evening.

Questions:

1) How busy do you think this section of the AT will be this time of year? I've never been on it in the summer.

2) Anybody who's been on it recently: How's the water sources?

3) Any other hikes in the area I should consider instead? (Duncan Ridge, Benton MacKaye sectional, etc)

AO2134
08-19-2014, 11:27
I did Woody to Neel Gap and back as a overnight hike. At 3.3 miles there is Lance Creek, which has plenty of water. There are also some Springs before then with decent water flow, but not great. From Lance Creek, the next source of easy access water is Slaughter Creek, which was flowing fairly well. This will be 4 miles after Lance Creek. I would resupply here as there is another 3-5 mile hike before you have another reliable water source. I don't know passed Neel Gap personally.

Thursday - Friday should not be overcrowded, but on weekends you generally find quite a few people, especially at popular day hiker locations.

Hope this limited information helps.

soumodeler
08-19-2014, 11:27
You can expect to see a fair number people, especially Saturday. I was out this past weekend from Unicoi to Low Gap and saw about 15 people on Saturday.

Water was good at Low Gap and Blue Mountain, with some of the other springs barely adequate for getting water. I expect the rest of the section should be similar.

simeo
08-19-2014, 14:01
Well I guess it's ok to see more people on Saturday as long as I'm able to have Thursday and Friday mostly to myself. 15 is quite a few more than I'd like to see though!

Any other info would be appreciated. I'll be using a hammock and going probably the first or second week of September. Maybe water will pick up by then.

simeo
08-19-2014, 21:26
I forgot to ask. How's cell phone coverage in general in case of emergency? I plan to have it off but it's good to have as backup.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2014, 22:34
If you have verizon its just about everywhere.

simeo
08-20-2014, 12:07
If you have verizon its just about everywhere.

Good deal. I have straight talk but it uses the Verizon service. Thanks a lot!