PDA

View Full Version : current trail conditions at SNP

DatFLhiker
08-19-2014, 13:27
will be hitting SNP for a week long hike and was wondering if anybody has recently been through the park .how has the weather,foot traffic, and water sources been lately ?

jbwood5
08-19-2014, 14:01
will be hitting SNP for a week long hike and was wondering if anybody has recently been through the park .how has the weather,foot traffic, and water sources been lately ?

Can't add too much but I was there in late July this year (on my way back to FL). I did a small amount of day hiking on the AT and, as usual, it was great and had no problem with obtaining water. This is a decent easy nice 100 miles (?) with a chance for a snack at the waysides occasionally (even a shower at Big Meadows). Always be sure to obtain the free backcountry permit. I got checked for it by a ranger one weekend at a shelter area.

Studlintsean
08-19-2014, 15:45
I was in North district of SNP last week and experienced no water issues. The groups I met that were hiking through the park (I was only out for a few days) had no issues with water all week. It is pretty wet in NOVA right now so you should have no concerns. Have a good hike.

johnnybgood
08-19-2014, 16:01
I did a very short hike up Hightop Mtn. to chalk up another bag night this past weekend .
There were two trees that had fallen across the trail in this short section. Both needing the heavy artillary (chainsaw) taken to them.

The water situation is better than usual in the southern district for mid August. The stream that runs in front of Pinefield Hut was running, although only a few inches deep. Alternative water source is 3.6 miles south at the Ivy Creek park shed where a side trail(on the right going sobo) takes you one tenth of a mile to a piped spring directly in front of that shed.

I can't comment on other water sources other than reminding you that water is also available from spigots at the campgrounds and picnic areas.

DatFLhiker
08-20-2014, 15:53
thanks for the updates ,
should be posting a trip report shortly after my hike

FL Grandma
08-28-2014, 22:27
Thanks for the post! I will also be hiking from Rockfish Gap to Front Royal starting the Friday after Labor Day. Good to hear that the water is flowing!