PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst or Ospery Aether 60?

BrianOH72
08-19-2014, 13:56
I'll be section hiking the AT in 2015 and I'm trying to make a decision on the pack I'll be using. I had my mind made up on the Osprey Aether 60 which seems to be the choice of several AT hikers however, I see many people recommending the ULA packs. Both companies seem to be very customer service minded for concerns and repairs. I know the Ospery pack is over 1.5 lbs heavier but will it wear better or be more comfortable with the back panel? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Astro
08-19-2014, 14:50
I'll be section hiking the AT in 2015 and I'm trying to make a decision on the pack I'll be using. I had my mind made up on the Osprey Aether 60 which seems to be the choice of several AT hikers however, I see many people recommending the ULA packs. Both companies seem to be very customer service minded for concerns and repairs. I know the Ospery pack is over 1.5 lbs heavier but will it wear better or be more comfortable with the back panel? Any input is greatly appreciated!

I am very happy with my ULA Catalyst. Also love the idea of built in the USA and great customer service. 1.5 pounds to me is a significant difference in your Big 4.

The only thing I hear that the Osprey packs may be a little better at is in the ventilation on your back. But for me personally ULA packs are fine in this area.

BrianOH72
08-19-2014, 17:00
Do you find the Catalyst to be big and bulky were it mg be best or m step own o the Circuit? I don't ant to get to big of a bag however I don't want something to small.

Nooga
08-20-2014, 08:35
Both ULA and Osprey make good packs and I think the customer service would be a wash. Its all about fit. I went from a ULA Catalyst to the Osprey Exos and haven't looked back.

mankind117
08-20-2014, 08:53
I have about 600 miles on the 2nd and 4th generation aethers and 350 miles on the catalyst over the last 4 years. I ended up selling the catalyst last year and keeping the 4th generation aether. I'm in the minority but I never like the catalyst, I just found it flat out uncomfortable with the way the hipbelt and lumbar pad worked. This experience has not made me want to try more ULA packs. The aether was simply far more comfortable for me depsite weighing more. That said I think there are better choices How much weight do you intent to carry? If you are going to be under 25 most of the time I would recommend the packs make by elemental horizon (the kalais or aquilo). I have the aquilo and for lightweight loads it is a great pack. My new favorite pack however, are the packs from seekoutside (http://seekoutside.com/). I have there unaweep pack and it is hands down the most comfortable pack I have used across all load weights. Their hipbelt suspension is different than everyone elses and I think it is just more comfortable and removes how much weight you are carrying from the equation as they will work with any weight you would ever carry but still are comfortable with lightweight loads.

swjohnsey
08-20-2014, 09:45
The Catalyst has aluminum stays that can be bent to fit your back. The hip belts on the ULA packs are interchangeable between the Ohm 2.0, Circuit and Catalyst. You can put less in a big pack but you can't put more in a small pack. The Catalyst is very flexible.

Mags
08-20-2014, 12:36
The Catalyst is my all-purpose "Work horse" pack. Hauling stuff for the wife, guiding, winter trips, etc. Love it!
http://www.pmags.com/ula-catalyst-review

rickb
08-20-2014, 13:47
The Catalyst is my all-purpose "Work horse" pack. Hauling stuff for the wife, guiding, winter trips, etc. Love it!
http://www.pmags.com/ula-catalyst-review

That review cost me a couple hundred bucks.

Please add a warning to your next review.

Nice pack though-- though the yellow buckles really insult my sence of design.

Mags
08-20-2014, 15:18
Ha! Thanks for the nice words. I truly do love the pack and have used it a fair amount in the past two years.

If it helps, my last two "reviews" would cost $2 and $1 respectively. ;)

http://www.pmags.com/light-versatile-and-cheap-the-p38-and-p51-can-openers
http://www.pmags.com/quick-tip-campor-zipper-pulls

T-Rx
08-20-2014, 22:49
I have a Catalyst and love it. Carry as much or little as you want. Comfortable and durable. I will carry it on my thru hike.

Nooga
08-21-2014, 10:30
I have about 600 miles on the 2nd and 4th generation aethers and 350 miles on the catalyst over the last 4 years. I ended up selling the catalyst last year and keeping the 4th generation aether. I'm in the minority but I never like the catalyst, I just found it flat out uncomfortable with the way the hipbelt and lumbar pad worked. This experience has not made me want to try more ULA packs. The aether was simply far more comfortable for me depsite weighing more. That said I think there are better choices How much weight do you intent to carry? If you are going to be under 25 most of the time I would recommend the packs make by elemental horizon (the kalais or aquilo). I have the aquilo and for lightweight loads it is a great pack. My new favorite pack however, are the packs from seekoutside (http://seekoutside.com/). I have there unaweep pack and it is hands down the most comfortable pack I have used across all load weights. Their hipbelt suspension is different than everyone elses and I think it is just more comfortable and removes how much weight you are carrying from the equation as they will work with any weight you would ever carry but still are comfortable with lightweight loads.

The packs from seekoutside look very interesting. Do you know if they are available other than online? I have learned a hard lesson not to purchase any pack that I cannot try on before purchasing.

mankind117
08-21-2014, 10:48
No, they are online only but they do let you return them within 30 days. Unforunately it is probably one of those things you just have to bite the bullet and be willing to pay the return shipping if it doesn't work out when trying it on. I personally think they are really on to something with their suspension. They have created a 3 pound pack (the same weight as the catalyst) that in my use simply carries weight better than any other pack I have used. For me the big difference the fact that there is no lumbar pad. The frame essentially hangs from the belt on two widely spaced attachment points. I never liked packs with lumbar pads under bigger loads. Maybe I just have a senstive back but invariable your lower back bears the brunt of the load where the stays or framesheet terminate and I just find that uncomfortable. The paradox belt/suspension really distributes the load around your hips much much better. If you subscribe to backpacking light they have a really good review of the system. I really don't think there is any comparison between seekoutside packs and the cataylst for me. The seekoutside packs simply carry weight better, period. I'm getting rid of my aether. If I have to carry more than 25 lbs from now on I would take the unaweep, for small loads less than that I might still take my Aquillo or the granite gear crown VC although it would be hard not to take the unaweep.

mankind117
08-21-2014, 10:59
Another thing I like about the seekoutside packs is that you can adjust the frame height. The base frame is 24 inches but you can do anything betwen 24 and 28 inches use extensions they sell. I personally like the frame to terminate above my shoulder so the load lifters actually function as they are supposed to. You can really dial in the fit. I never understood one thing about packs that have an adjustable harness. Sure you can move where the shoulder straps terminate up and down which is important but they doesn't change the actual height of the frame. Where the frame terminates is obviously important if you want load lifters that actually work as they are supposed to. If the frame is too short moving the harness doesn't matter.

Nooga
08-21-2014, 16:54
Now that I think about it, I remember seeing the seekoutside booth at Trail Days this year. I remember looking at the packs and thought at the time they were a good design, but at the time didn't realize that they were available in cuben fibre. Too bad I didn't try one on. On the website, I priced the Unaweep Evolution 3900 (cuben), the basic Talon (cuben) and Top Lid (cuben) and the price was $525, including shipping. The weight of the Evolution 3900 is shown, but not the Talon and Top Lid. I sent them an email asking for the weight. Also, I think I would prefer the Talon in mesh material rather than water proof.

Astro
08-21-2014, 21:48
With a base weight going from 18 to 15 pounds I have been happy with the Catalyst. If I continue reduce my base weight and volume I may eventually wish I went with the Circuit, but I can live with that.

As someone said above better a little more pack than you need than not enough.

meat803
08-22-2014, 01:23
Both ULA and Osprey make good packs and I think the customer service would be a wash. Its all about fit. I went from a ULA Catalyst to the Osprey Exos and haven't looked back.

I love my Exos 58. Worth a look if you are interested in the Aether 60. The mesh back suspension is so comfortable and breathable. 2lbs lighter than the Aether. I prefer last years style. Great thing about that is you can still find a few of them in stock for a hefty discount. My GF has the small Exos 46 and the only drawback is the hip belt pockets on that size seem too far back and small. The hip belt pockets on my 58 medium are perfect.

JumpMaster Blaster
08-22-2014, 01:51
The Osprey beats the ULA hands down in breathability and organization. I don't like having to open the main pack to get things out. However, the ULA hip belt and side pockets and weight trump the Ospreys. The Osprey seemed to ride "better" high up on my hip, but the ULA lacked the wire hoop used to achieve that snug fit.

BTW, my comparison is between an Osprey Aura 65 & ULA Catalyst. No major issues with either. If I could trade the pros & cons with each I would have the perfect pack.

saltysack
08-22-2014, 15:47
Both great companies and packs...I love my ula circuit...I am not a gram weenie... Just pay attention to what I truly need and will use.. I hike 4 seasons and holds all I could ever need for up to a week out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve0423
08-22-2014, 17:08
Thru'd with a Circuit last year and loved it. Held up very well, other than minor abrasions and a mouse hole in the outer mesh pocket, it looks new and I'm still using it. That being said I've lusted after the trampoline back of the exos for a while and if I were to go full on frame "backpack" (I’ve had folks accuse my Circuit of not being a "real" backpack), It'd be an exos. My wife has an Osprey (forget which) she likes it but the side pockets suck for water bottles. Coincidently I had her fitted for a Circuit at trail days this year and she hated it. Certainly different rigs work better for different people and you'd do well to find an outfitter where you can try things on. However the dude at ULA is incredible to work with and I've heard several stories from people who've said he sent them multiple hip belts, etc. to try and they’ve simply sent the leftovers back to him.

Mags
08-22-2014, 17:57
(I’ve had folks accuse my Circuit of not being a "real" backpack),.

Really? Wonder what they think of the sub-1lb backpacks many of use for sub-10 lb BPW loads. :)

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2896/14792887333_4d88518695.jpg

Being serious, what is a "Real" backpack ???

Venchka
08-24-2014, 23:26
OP-
Why are you comparing a 60 liter pack to a 70+ liter pack? Shouldn't you be comparing similar sized packs? Just wondering.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

steve0423
08-25-2014, 11:05
Really? Wonder what they think of the sub-1lb backpacks many of use for sub-10 lb BPW loads. :)

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2896/14792887333_4d88518695.jpg

Assume it has to weigh 8lbs empty, 75 loaded and has lots of stuff tied to it clanging about. Least that's been the case every time I've been accused of not doing "real backpacking". My favorite was a father and two sons out for a night near bear mtn NY. He told me he'd lead a couple scout groups at Philmont where the do real backpacking. He had some giant leather boots with his own personalized logo branded into the sides and everything so I guess he was legit. I mentioned an impending storm to him and suggested we hunker down in the shelter. He scoffed (literally out loud) at the thought that the evening drizzle was going to amount to anything. The next morning we hiked down in the remnants of tropical storm Andrea.

see your in CO, did the four pass loop at the maroon bells last month, absolutely gorgeous

Mags
08-25-2014, 11:09
Ah..I've been doing fake backpacking for many years now. ;)

From http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-29678.html

"Something similar happened to me on the Colorado Trail in 2004.

It is off the AT..but still afunny story.

Last year I was onthe my Colorado Trail hike just north (trail wise) from where the CT and the CDT split for the last time. The CT heads south and west towards Durango, the CDT heads south towards Wolf Creek Pass.

Anyway, I am hiking up the trail. I see a genteman with thick, heavy leather boots. A HUGE pack (Dana Designs, maybe?). Had the Nalgenes and every other item it seems from the outfitter.

Here I am: Nike sneakers a bit torn, my lightweight all mesh pack. Banged up ski poles. Dirty polyester dress shirt. Almost three weeks beard growth.

I said "Hello'.
He said "Interesting gear you have". (While eyeing me up and down with a *** look on his face)
Me: "Yep. Works for me"
He said: "Well, always more to learn as you backpack more. When you backpack more, perhaps you will have different gear"
Me: "You are right. Always more to learn"
He: "Enjoy your hike. Be careful".
Me: "You too! It is a great day!"

:)

The guy probably thought I was a total moron (Well...he may be right, but not in the context of backpacking. :D). Probably thought I'd died somewhere in the San Juan mountains! "

Paddlefoot
08-26-2014, 23:52

Archwood Flex-Trek 37,000,000,000,000 Whipsnake Edition

Paddlefoot
08-26-2014, 23:57

I'm not sure you can go wrong.

I have an Aether 70 that I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail with last summer.

I put a couple hundred miles on a ULA Circuit this summer.

For me the suspension on the Aether is superbly comfortable, but it comes at a significant weight penalty. A mystery rodent chewed up the mesh around one of the stays on my pack last summer and Osprey replaced it, no questions asked. I plan on continuing to use this pack for family trips where I am serving as Daddy the Load Carrier.

My ULA is very comfortable, particularly after I bent the aluminum stays to fit my back. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. Chris is super-helpful and provided great customer service, and I LOVE the fact that I shaved 2.5 pounds off my base load. It is a well-made, tough pack. Not as convenient to get into as the Aether, but for 2.5 pounds, I'll put up with it and the VERY minor reduction in comfort.

colorado_rob
08-27-2014, 07:50
... For me the suspension on the Aether is superbly comfortable, but it comes at a significant weight penalty. A mystery rodent chewed up the mesh around one of the stays on my pack last summer and Osprey replaced it, no questions asked. I plan on continuing to use this pack for family trips where I am serving as Daddy the Load Carrier.

My ULA is very comfortable, particularly after I bent the aluminum stays to fit my back. I love the fact that it is made in the USA. Chris is super-helpful and provided great customer service, and I LOVE the fact that I shaved 2.5 pounds off my base load. It is a well-made, tough pack. Not as convenient to get into as the Aether, but for 2.5 pounds, I'll put up with it and the VERY minor reduction in comfort.This is very close to how I would reply; the Aether is very comfortable, perfect for 40+ pound loads, and I still use mine for mid-winter trips when I'm carrying that much or more, but for sub-30 pounds, the ULA is plenty supportive and saves that 2.5 pounds. I think I saw more ULA packs on the trail last year than Aethers, but I didn't keep actual count.

One big advantage of the ULA packs is that you can size the waist belt and torso length separately. Actually, maybe the Aether is that way as well, but check. This is hugely important if, say, you have a long torso and skinny hips or vice-versa. ULA also has a choice of S-straps (curvy) of J-straps (more traditional). Talk with Chris on which would fit you better. I chose the S-straps.

I love the Huge waist-belt zipper pockets on the ULA; the Aether has no pockets. I can put a whole day's worth of trail food in mine, along with other trail essentials, like AWOL (only the current portion), sunscreen, Aqua mira, Ibuprofen and whatever.

As already said, both companies are fantastic. My wife's Osprey pack (A Talon 44) was shredded by a bear one night, totally OUR fault as we left food in the pack, a definite no-no. Osprey gave her a brand new pack! They insisted. "Iron Clad No-fault Guarantee". Wow. But my experience with Chris at ULA has been outstanding; when I bought my ULA, I couldn't decide between the Circuit and OHM 2.0, so he shipped me both, and a pre-paid return mailing label for the one I didn't select. (I did have to pay for both, but he promptly refunded when I returned the Circuit; I kept the Ohm).

I do not recommend the Ohm 2.0 if your base weight is over 10-12 pounds, meaning 20-25 pounds total weight (with fuel, water and food). The Circuit is more supportive for loads up to 30-35 pounds or so, and that is the one you have your eye on anyway.

My Ohm 2.0 still looks brand new after maybe 1500 miles on it, but then again, so does my Aether, but I don't use it much now that I bought the ULA.

Venchka
08-27-2014, 09:24
OP-
Why are you comparing a 60 liter pack to a 70+ liter pack? Shouldn't you be comparing similar sized packs? Just wondering.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

OOPS. I thought the Circuit was larger. Still, the Circuit is larger than the Aether 60. Have you thlought about the OHM 2.0? It is closer to the volume of the Aether 60.

Wayne

colorado_rob
08-27-2014, 15:07
OOPS. I thought the Circuit was larger. Still, the Circuit is larger than the Aether 60. Have you thlought about the OHM 2.0? It is closer to the volume of the Aether 60.

Wayne I have (or had at one time) all three packs, the Circuit, the Aether and OHM 2.0. Overall similar in size, all three of them, in total carrying capacity.

The ULA web site lists the circuit as 68 liters, the OHM as 63. But in both of these cases, the very stretchy exterior pockets are included. Nothing wrong with this as they do hold a lot, but the Aether at 60L, also has a some exterior capacity, and certainly holds more in the main body than either the circuit or the OHM 2.0. I also find that the Circuit holds only a very little bit more in the main body than the OHM 2.0; this has to do with how the packs close at the top. The roll-top Circuit seems to require more fabric to close it than the draw-string OHM 2.0. I loaded both packs with the identical kit and compared, then returned the Circuit in favor of the OHM, since it didn't really hold any more. For winter trips, I use the Aether 60, which again, definitely holds a bit more in the main body, though not as much in the exterior pouches.

Really, all three packs are very similar in overall volume capacity; for weight capacity, the Aether has them beat, then the Circuit is damn good, close to the Aether, the OHM has the least support, though plenty adequate for the 25 pounds max I carry (3-season).

Venchka
08-27-2014, 16:37
Thank you for clearing up "catalog volume" differences. I know it doesn't always (if ever) match the real world.

Wayne