PDA

View Full Version : hikin school around dahlonega

jefals
08-20-2014, 01:43
I kinda remember seeing something a while back about a guy running a school for newbies.. Don't remember if I came across it here on whiteblaze, or maybe found it in a youtube... Can y'all provide any more info on this?

Thanks guys!

Jeff
08-20-2014, 05:58
Sir-Packs-Alot runs seminars in Hiawassee, GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqdYKR3YIbM&feature=youtu.be

daddytwosticks
08-20-2014, 07:11
If you pay me $995.99, I'll teach you everything I know about hiking. Class starts at 8AM and ends at 8:10AM. :)

No Directions
08-20-2014, 07:25
REI has backpacking clinics. Most of what you learn will be from experience.

saltysack
08-20-2014, 07:26
Get out short periods then grow miles with experience....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2014, 08:14
I lift my foot up, then put it down, repeat... Now for some instruction on weightlifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

jefals
08-20-2014, 09:19
Thanks folks. I'm pretty sure it's that one in Hiawassee that Jeff posted that I was thinking about. I'm smart enough to know there's a lot I don't know, and it's not just "one foot in front of the other"! I've watched a bunch of how-to youtube videos on different things, like making a stove out of a tin can, pitching a tent in the howling wind... Even watched one 60 years ago about Davy Crockett 'grinnin down a bar' on a Tennessee mountaintop! ;) But -- there's nothing like being in a setting where you get some hands on experience!

RED-DOG
08-20-2014, 12:40
Your wasting your money if you do these classes, The trail will teach you everything you need to know.

jefals
08-20-2014, 23:27
this may sound funny, but the BIGGEST thing on my mind is learning exactly how to hang the food from the tree... And I've seen plenty of youtube "how-tos" on this, but it's not the same as doing it myself with someone watching that can make sure I do it right... Hey, if this saves me from getting eaten by a bear, I'll figure my $300 was well spent! And I've seen posts here from some folks that say they don't even do that -- they just keep the food in the tent with them... (I guess I might do that if I was the kind of guy that slept with one eye open and a 50 cal locked and loaded!..).

daddytwosticks
08-21-2014, 07:17
this may sound funny, but the BIGGEST thing on my mind is learning exactly how to hang the food from the tree... And I've seen plenty of youtube "how-tos" on this, but it's not the same as doing it myself with someone watching that can make sure I do it right... Hey, if this saves me from getting eaten by a bear, I'll figure my $300 was well spent! And I've seen posts here from some folks that say they don't even do that -- they just keep the food in the tent with them... (I guess I might do that if I was the kind of guy that slept with one eye open and a 50 cal locked and loaded!..). Do what I did...practice at home. The same with setting up your shelter and tearing it down. Practice this on a rainy day. :)

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2014, 09:56
I lift my foot up, then put it down, repeat... Now for some instruction on weightlifting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

If you pay me $995.99, I'll teach you everything I know about hiking. Class starts at 8AM and ends at 8:10AM. :)

:jump :clap

Your wasting your money if you do these classes, The trail will teach you everything you need to know.

Agreed

this may sound funny, but the BIGGEST thing on my mind is learning exactly how to hang the food from the tree... And I've seen plenty of youtube "how-tos" on this, but it's not the same as doing it myself with someone watching that can make sure I do it right... Hey, if this saves me from getting eaten by a bear, I'll figure my $300 was well spent! And I've seen posts here from some folks that say they don't even do that -- they just keep the food in the tent with them... (I guess I might do that if I was the kind of guy that slept with one eye open and a 50 cal locked and loaded!..).

That picture will be 300 bucks please, paypal is fine.

for another 300 ill show you how to get water.

And another 300 for packing a pack

we are up to 900, I would go with Daddytwosticks, he was only charging 995.99 for EVERYTHING he knows and we havent even learned cathole digging 101 yet. Besides, he was only going to take 10 minutes early in the morning, im a late sleeper and a slow teacher. :welcome

jefals
08-21-2014, 10:34
yeah, well, if Daddytwosticks can teach me everything he knows in 10 minutes --- then, well, what does that tell ya? :)
and, I've see pics like the one you did, MM, where they said, "Oh, the bears can figure out to get to the food if you do it that way".
Seriously, I think the school thing is a good idea. I know I can just learn it all by doin, but I think it'll be more enjoyable to know some things first... For example...."There you are, hiking away, you've made it to the top of a mountain, it starts pouring down rain, you're exhausted, there's trees everywhere, it starts lightning ... what do you do"? Or, when the rain stops, what about all those wet clothes? How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!
So, no stove to deal with, no dishes -- no muss no fuss -- BUT.. how 'bout the weight of those?

So, hey, I guess there's more to learn, after all, than just dealin with bears! Plus -- it'll probably be fun.

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2014, 10:41
yeah, well, if Daddytwosticks can teach me everything he knows in 10 minutes --- then, well, what does that tell ya?
and, I've see pics like the one you did, MM, where they said, "Oh, the bears can figure out to get to the food if you do it that way".
Seriously, I think the school thing is a good idea. I know I can just learn it all by doin, but I think it'll be more enjoyable to know some things first... For example...."There you are, hiking away, you've made it to the top of a mountain, it starts pouring down rain, you're exhausted, there's trees everywhere, it starts lightning ... what do you do"? Or, when the rain stops, what about all those wet clothes? How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!
So, no stove to deal with, no dishes -- no muss no fuss -- BUT.. how 'bout the weight of those?

So, hey, I guess there's more to learn, after all, than just dealin with bears! Plus -- it'll probably be fun.

TBH I had to look and make sure this wasnt in the humor thread before replying....

JUST THROW THE LIND OVER THE TREE!!!! There isnt a secret to it, just do it, boom. Throw it over pull that $h!t up in the tree and go to sleep! lol... Seriously it isnt rocket science and most people I see on the trail dont even hang a bear bag, just sleep with their food in their tent.

Now if your on a mountain and it starts lightning. GET OFF THE MOUNTAIN!!! lol Anyways, Honestly I dont know of a single person that has taken a class on how to hike or camp. I would much rather prefer to take that 300 bucks and pay for three hiking trips than to give it to somebody to show me how to throw paracord over a tree branch.

jefals
08-21-2014, 11:09
hmm... I can tell you are not an easy guy to convince, MM. Well, did ya ever see that movie, Jeremiah Johnson, where this guy went to live in the mountains and had no clue what he was doing? He was about to either starve or freeze to death but then an ole, grizzled mountain man found him and taught him all the basics.
So, that's me, I want to learn the basics before I get started. Been thinking about this hike for 40 years, and plan to get under way in spring of '16. I'm in California now, but I'll be travellin thru GA later this year. So, been pretty frugal most of my life, workin hard, retired now, and the cost of tuition to me at this stage isn't that big a deal, so hope to do spend a 3 day wkend at that school in the next month or two. You could be right -- it might turn out to be time/$$$ wasted -- but, I think it's going to be fun and at least a little educational.

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2014, 11:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55RDNlWnLI

Hikes in Rain
08-21-2014, 11:44
How about these "5-minute meals" -- have you guys seen those? It comes packed like a frozen dinner, but inside is everything you need -- (NO STOVE!) -- it has some kind of flimsy heating gizmo that you pour water (included in a little pack) on the heating thing, wait 5 minutes and it's ready to eat!

I've seen and used them. They're cool as all getout, and the food's not bad. Not real good, but not terrible. You hit one part: they're darned heavy. AND you end up with a lot of waste packaging to hump back out.

Gambit McCrae
08-21-2014, 11:49
I've seen and used them. They're cool as all getout, and the food's not bad. Not real good, but not terrible. You hit one part: they're darned heavy. AND you end up with a lot of waste packaging to hump back out.
Agreed. If your going to go with a quick prep meal stick iwth boiling water and waiting 15 minutes for it to cure.

I suggest mountain house or backpackers pantry on the low end of price, backpackers gormet on the highend good stuff. As well if you are thrifty you can make your own.

As well as I am a coffee drinker, the stove kit always goes in the pack

saltysack
08-21-2014, 11:54
Agreed. If your going to go with a quick prep meal stick iwth boiling water and waiting 15 minutes for it to cure.

I suggest mountain house or backpackers pantry on the low end of price, backpackers gormet on the highend good stuff. As well if you are thrifty you can make your own.

As well as I am a coffee drinker, the stove kit always goes in the pack

If u like dehydrated meals check out Hawk Vittles.....way better than any others.....IMO

Deacon
08-21-2014, 21:09
hmm... I can tell you are not an easy guy to convince, MM. Well, did ya ever see that movie, Jeremiah Johnson, where this guy went to live in the mountains and had no clue what he was doing? He was about to either starve or freeze to death but then an ole, grizzled mountain man found him and taught him all the basics.
So, that's me, I want to learn the basics before I get started. Been thinking about this hike for 40 years, and plan to get under way in spring of '16. I'm in California now, but I'll be travellin thru GA later this year. So, been pretty frugal most of my life, workin hard, retired now, and the cost of tuition to me at this stage isn't that big a deal, so hope to do spend a 3 day wkend at that school in the next month or two. You could be right -- it might turn out to be time/$$$ wasted -- but, I think it's going to be fun and at least a little educational.

Jefals,
You never said whether or not you have any equipment. Are you waiting to learn before you buy, or are you already geared up waiting for someone to show you how to use it?

If you already have some equipment then start out with just an overnight, and just give it a try. Go to a local park with camping facilities and camp with you gear. If it rains you'll be confident enough you can bail out easily. If you have to bail it's no big deal. Adjust your gear and try again. Once you feel ok with single overnighters, then go for a three day trip.

You just have to go out and do it, that's what the folks in this thread are trying to tell you.

jefals
08-21-2014, 23:13
No, I don't have gear yet, and thanks for asking, because that's another big issue. There's obviously tons of advice out here in whiteblaze about gear -- but there's just too much! -- It's overwhelming! I've been doing a little hiking out here and I do have a pack -- but not one suitable for something like an AT hike. Since I started this post, I already signed up for packs-a-lot's 3 day class, and looking forward to it. I'm sure I'll get good guidance there regarding gear. In fact, it kinda looks like he's into selling gear.

Yeah, I know you can just go and do it, and learn that way, but sometimes learning by experience is less than ideal. I had made mention earlier of that move, Jeremiah Johnson, and I remember one scene where he was out in the snow, shivering, trying to get a fire going, he tried and tried and finally, after hours of hard work, he got a little flame going -- and looks like he just about had it -- only to have some snow from a branch over head dump on the small blaze and put it out! Yeah, he learned from experience, but I bet he wished he had learned to look out for that beforehand!

I'm also reminded of a Will Rogers quote -- I'm sure this isn't the exact quote, but it went something like this..."Some people learn by reading, some people learn by doing, and some people just have to pee on the electric fence" :) I don't wanna be that third guy! :)

perrymk
08-22-2014, 07:39
..., and some people just have to pee on the electric fence" . But think of all the cool and unique (maybe not cool just unique) trail names you could earn.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 08:00
I understand thE OPs concern. Not everyone grew up in the woods or a scout.
I don't think spending a thousand dollars to learn aspects of camping and hiking is necessary though.
Try some car camping, a short over nighter with friends or try to find a local hiking club to join.
Being outside and learning small things from others is the best solution. Learn a few things and expand your knowledge base over time. A class might be a bit of an information overload.

My first big multi day trip was with my GF in glacier national park. All my previous experience was scouting. I had the basics but in retrospect not enough for a full week.

Ended up carrying way too much gear, too much food and completely unprepared for the snow we encountered.

We lived, we learned and we had a great time.

Stay on White Blaze, read, ask questions and learn. Practice some basic stuff in you back yard or local park.

Hiking on an established trail is not dangerous. Enjoy your new hobby and save your money.

Hikes in Rain
08-22-2014, 09:04
If u like dehydrated meals check out Hawk Vittles.....way better than any others.....IMO

1+ on Hawk Vittles. Food is great (love the cowboy pasta, but haven't found anything I didn't like), serving size is for a hungry hiker, and preparation is simple. Just cover with water, boil, and let sit a few minutes. And they're priced right.

Or, if you want to try drying your own, I discovered most, if not all, of Hawk's recipes are in a book called Backpack Gourmet (http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating-ebook/dp/B001GIPF6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408712317&sr=1-2&keywords=backpack+gourmet). I was fortunate enough to get it during the brief period it was free. :)

saltysack
08-22-2014, 09:26
1+ on Hawk Vittles. Food is great (love the cowboy pasta, but haven't found anything I didn't like), serving size is for a hungry hiker, and preparation is simple. Just cover with water, boil, and let sit a few minutes. And they're priced right.

Or, if you want to try drying your own, I discovered most, if not all, of Hawk's recipes are in a book called Backpack Gourmet (http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Gourmet-Dehydrate-Healthy-Eating-ebook/dp/B001GIPF6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408712317&sr=1-2&keywords=backpack+gourmet). I was fortunate enough to get it during the brief period it was free. :)

I've always just covered good in pouch w boiling water put in coozie for time and ste from bag.... Less waste packaging than nasty mh meals...imo

saltysack
08-22-2014, 09:31
Good=food
Ste=eat
:)

jefals
08-22-2014, 11:48
thanks, Swisscross and (ROLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!) :) ( Hey, I'm a B'ham native myself)
it's good advice, and I've been doing some day hiking and learning a few things by experience already. Now I'm about to start a road trip, leaving from California in mid-September and heading thru the Southern states, and then beyond, eventually hoping to come back on rt 66.. Gonna do some more day hikin along the way. This school is not $1,000 -- it's only $300 for 3 days, and I plan to be in the area anyway, and I think it's going to be not only informative but also it should be fun. And planning to start the AT in spring of '16, so I just figure I've got nothin to lose (hey, I'd spend $300 bucks over 3 days at a hotel anyway), and sounds like fun, so gonna check it out!

jefals
08-22-2014, 11:50
and tks saltysack for the tips on the vittles...I'll look into that.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 12:05
thanks, Swisscross and (ROLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!) :) ( Hey, I'm a B'ham native myself)
it's good advice, and I've been doing some day hiking and learning a few things by experience already. Now I'm about to start a road trip, leaving from California in mid-September and heading thru the Southern states, and then beyond, eventually hoping to come back on rt 66.. Gonna do some more day hikin along the way. This school is not $1,000 -- it's only $300 for 3 days, and I plan to be in the area anyway, and I think it's going to be not only informative but also it should be fun. And planning to start the AT in spring of '16, so I just figure I've got nothin to lose (hey, I'd spend $300 bucks over 3 days at a hotel anyway), and sounds like fun, so gonna check it out!

You are right, you have nothing to lose. If you don't feel comfortable then do whatever it take to achieve your comfort level. It may very well turn out to be a blast and you might learn something that would make the first part of your hike easier and more fulfilling.

Sorry to disappoint. I am an Auburn grad. (War Eagle)

jefals
08-22-2014, 12:26
You are right, you have nothing to lose. If you don't feel comfortable then do whatever it take to achieve your comfort level. It may very well turn out to be a blast and you might learn something that would make the first part of your hike easier and more fulfilling.

Sorry to disappoint. I am an Auburn grad. (War Eagle)

oops! OK, well, here's hoping that both teams have a great season and looking forward to a great iron bowl!

RED-DOG
08-23-2014, 11:10
The only thing those hiking schools teach is how to pack a pack, what gear to buy, what food to carry, how to read a trail guide, how to follow the WB's, what is the best time of year to start, it's all classroom stuff they give you a few phone calls, send you a couple E-mails and that's it, they don't take you out to the trail for actual hands on training. it's a money game that's it.

Mags
08-23-2014, 14:12
The only thing those hiking schools teach is how to pack a pack, what gear to buy, what food to carry, how to read a trail guide, how to follow the WB's, what is the best time of year to start, it's all classroom stuff they give you a few phone calls, send you a couple E-mails and that's it, they don't take you out to the trail for actual hands on training. it's a money game that's it.

I can't speak for the AT specific schools, but if that is all you received from your backpacking, that is a very narrow skill set. ;)

Being serious, could someone who has been to a school give a bit more info? What was it like for you? Seems like a lot of second and third hand speculation rather than real facts.

For my own part, I assist guiding a trip 2x a year (http://andrewskurka.com/guided-trips/guides/) so perhaps I'm a bit biased. However, for people who don't have the time (family, work and other obligations), a "fast track" weekend where you learn the basics of backpacking (navigation, site selection, stove types and yes..food protection among other things ) is very helpful. Take the weekend, learn the basics and actually not have to worry about stumbling through on following trips.

To say everyone should get out there and learn on their own ignores the fact that time is limited for people. When you have a handful of weekends a year to backpack, you don't want to stumble along and hope your precious free time is enjoyable.

When I was in the my early 20s and time was my own, I did not mind just winging it and learning the hard way. Imagine being 40 years old, having young children and only 2-3 backpacking trips a year...maybe. Do you really just want to learn the hard way when free time is precious?

Are these classroom type weekends or trips for everyone? No. Do they serve a purpose for some people. Absolutely. To say YOUR way is the only way to learn is just plain silly.

Odd Man Out
08-23-2014, 18:25
You don't need to pay these guys 100's of dollars. Everything is available free online. Here are instructions on how to lace and tie your shoes.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

hikehunter
08-23-2014, 22:19
This is the free or near free to learn about hiking and camping........

....first find the closest Boy Scout Troop......second tell them you would like to help and learn.
Job done.

jefals
08-25-2014, 06:05
This is the free or near free to learn about hiking and camping........

....first find the closest Boy Scout Troop......second tell them you would like to help and learn.
Job done.

Thanks! That probably would have been a great idea for me ---- 50 -- (or 60!) years ago! :)

jefals
08-25-2014, 06:13
You don't need to pay these guys 100's of dollars. Everything is available free online. Here are instructions on how to lace and tie your shoes.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Well, as I've said before, tho, the school is 3 days, $300. And I'm gonna be out that way anyway, and figure if I was staying at a hotel in Atlanta I'd be spending even more than $100/day, and not learning ANYTHING. So, nothin to lose, and I think it's gonna be fun.
(and now they got velcro, so I don't need to learn how to tie my shoes! :) (JUS KIDDING!!!!!!!

jefals
08-25-2014, 06:34
I can't speak for the AT specific schools, but if that is all you received from your backpacking, that is a very narrow skill set. ;)

Being serious, could someone who has been to a school give a bit more info? What was it like for you? Seems like a lot of second and third hand speculation rather than real facts.

For my own part, I assist guiding a trip 2x a year (http://andrewskurka.com/guided-trips/guides/) so perhaps I'm a bit biased. However, for people who don't have the time (family, work and other obligations), a "fast track" weekend where you learn the basics of backpacking (navigation, site selection, stove types and yes..food protection among other things ) is very helpful. Take the weekend, learn the basics and actually not have to worry about stumbling through on following trips.

To say everyone should get out there and learn on their own ignores the fact that time is limited for people. When you have a handful of weekends a year to backpack, you don't want to stumble along and hope your precious free time is enjoyable.

When I was in the my early 20s and time was my own, I did not mind just winging it and learning the hard way. Imagine being 40 years old, having young children and only 2-3 backpacking trips a year...maybe. Do you really just want to learn the hard way when free time is precious?

Are these classroom type weekends or trips for everyone? No. Do they serve a purpose for some people. Absolutely. To say YOUR way is the only way to learn is just plain silly.

This one's gonna take you out camping one night also. They also sell gear, so I'm a little leary about that. But they said I don't have to buy it there, and they have gear I could borrow for the camping if I don't want to buy their stuff, or don't bring my own.

I'm kinda on the same page as you re. this, Mags. I'm 67 now, and I've learned enough stuff "the hard way" already! (And Most of it about WIMIN! :sunNo, to think about it, I guess I haven't learned anything about WIMIN in 67 years at all! :confused::))
I've been doing just some day hiking, and only camped out a handful of times in my whole life...always car-camping, with food in a cooler close by, and no worrying about wet clothes and everything else that goes along with something like hiking the AT.
Yes, this is probably non-essential, but I'm looking at it as a fun weekend and I know I'm gonna pick up good info, that's gonna probably save me at least a little bit of "misery" wnen I start my hike in spring of '16....(unless I decide to go SOBO).

upstream
08-25-2014, 07:53
There is nothing wrong with having a mentor. There is nothing wrong with paying him either.

hikehunter
08-25-2014, 23:36
"JEFALS" There are BSA Troops that enjoy having seasoned citizens as a part of their troop. The life time knowledge they bring to the youth can help build a better world and they can mentor the youth in many ways. It is just a thought... If you feel that is not for you...ok I understand.
One persons blue is someone else green. I hope you find what you are looking for...

jefals
08-26-2014, 13:06
"JEFALS" There are BSA Troops that enjoy having seasoned citizens as a part of their troop. The life time knowledge they bring to the youth can help build a better world and they can mentor the youth in many ways. It is just a thought... If you feel that is not for you...ok I understand.
One persons blue is someone else green. I hope you find what you are looking for...

Oh, sorry, I thought you were kidding about that last BSA post. Well, you're right, tho, it wouldn't be for me, at least not for this. About the only life time experience I could teach them is how to program old, obsolete computers!
And the class I'm going to attend is strictly focused 3 -days, preparing you for the AT. But after that, maybe. I do enjoy working with kids, and once all my adventures are out of the way, I'm gonna get back into volunteering, although I was thinking more along the lines of helping out in places after some natural disaster -- (like Haiti after that earthquake they had several years ago...). My career was spent in the business world, and I never got the satisfaction of working directly helping folks hands on. I think that would be a really neat way to spend a good portion of my remaining time --- but, first gotta get these adventures out of the way!

MissPak
08-27-2014, 11:49
i can't stop giggling

hikehunter
08-27-2014, 16:32
NOLS....the wilderness training people have some great courses. I have done the Wilderness 1st aid and first responder course. there are others you might look it to those if you are wanting to do disaster relief stuff.