PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Unsupported Speed Record Attempt

Josh D
08-20-2014, 08:34
RJ Thompson left Canada yesterday for an attempt at the Unsupported speed record of 6 days 17 hours on the Long Trail. He's planning on having his facebook updated daily by his girlfriend when he is able to get service to text her. https://www.facebook.com/thelongtrailrun (not sure if you need a FB account to see this, but I think it's a public page.)

Just Bill
08-20-2014, 23:13
Bout time somebody worth a damn went for that record;)

Seems a bit early to me- but who knows.

Best of luck to him...
Coolest thing about a LT record- just gotta check back in a week and we get the results!

Seems like a commendable cause for sure- but just for the record- you don't need to raise money for charity to set one.
Not a complaint or criticism directed at this gent or any others; just an observation. No shame in just hiking fast to do it.

Sorry for the drift- I'll stop channeling my pappy now.:o

DandT40
08-21-2014, 10:15
Coolest thing about a LT record- just gotta check back in a week and we get the results!

lol I was thinking the exact same thing! No waiting a month and half for this one!!! Good luck to him.

Slo-go'en
08-21-2014, 13:06
Taylor Lodge on day 2. About 90 miles and most of the hardest sections done. Pretty remarkable. If he can keep that up, no problem setting a new record.

I was on the AT when a woman from Colorado tried to set the woman's supported record. She missed it by a day. I happened to meet her at the Inn at the Long Trail the day after she finished and she said the LT was a lot harder then she expected, which stands to reason since she was used to western trails. But this guy is from Stowe, so he knew what to expect.

Josh D
08-21-2014, 14:25
Taylor Lodge on day 2. About 90 miles and most of the hardest sections done. Pretty remarkable. If he can keep that up, no problem setting a new record.

I was on the AT when a woman from Colorado tried to set the woman's supported record. She missed it by a day. I happened to meet her at the Inn at the Long Trail the day after she finished and she said the LT was a lot harder then she expected, which stands to reason since she was used to western trails. But this guy is from Stowe, so he knew what to expect.

closer to 73 miles by my calculations, and the the next 60+ miles is still pretty tough, but still on pace to break the record. His plan is to pick up the pace as the terrain mellows down south. He's looking to push 50+ miles on the last two days.

Day one: 38 miles "Yesterday RJ finished his day at Corliss camp where he reported that despite the muddy trails, he was blister free and feeling good. He was up at 4:30 this morning to begin day two. Catch him on Mansfield if you can!"

Day two: 35 miles "RJ spent last night at Taylor Lodge. In an actual phone update, he reported feeling pretty good save some inevitable day two aches and pains and sounded amazingly strong and determined! Try to see him today between Rte. 2 (morning) and the App Gap (late afternoon) or on top of Bolton or Camel's!"

After two days he seems to be right on pace. His plan is to pick up the pace as the terrain mellows down south. He's looking to push 50+ miles on the last two days.

Jeff
08-21-2014, 16:15
Had some rains in Vermont today with more expected tomorrow. Hope that does not impact the record attempt.

Josh D
08-21-2014, 21:19
Had some rains in Vermont today with more expected tomorrow. Hope that does not impact the record attempt.

at least it's happening up north where good water sources can be hard to come by. It looks like after tomorrow the weather should be pretty clear for him to make good time for his bigger mileage days when he gets down to our neck of the woods in Southern VT. Originally I think he was planning to start closer to September but choose to start early because the weather looked good, lets hope he is right!

James GAME2009
08-22-2014, 15:35
His attempt is over. He gave it a good go and made some very impressive mileage in the Northern part of the trail. Hopefully he will recover and give it another go, either this season or next.

Praha4
08-22-2014, 15:39
I don't know why his hike is over, but I'll bet he will give it another try as soon as he can. I'm starting the LT nobo from Williamstown next Wednesday 8/27. No speed attempt, just mud slogging and smelling the flowers. I'm very glad to hear there's been rain recently to regenerate the mud. An LT hike just wouldn't feel right without it.

Slo-go'en
08-22-2014, 21:14
I don't know why his hike is over, but I'll bet he will give it another try as soon as he can. I'm starting the LT nobo from Williamstown next Wednesday 8/27. No speed attempt, just mud slogging and smelling the flowers. I'm very glad to hear there's been rain recently to regenerate the mud. An LT hike just wouldn't feel right without it.

I think some heavy rain moved into Vermont. The LT can be treacherous when it's wet.

swisscross
08-22-2014, 22:11
When I lived in Vermont, the locals said they had four seasons...winter, mud, mud and mud.

Josh D
08-23-2014, 01:15
He twisted his knee coming of Bolton Mnt. it swelled up, he was able to keep moving on day three ending at Birch Glen Shelter still on record setting pace but his knee got worse over night and he decided to stop an not risk more serious injury. Sounds like he has what it takes to be successful if he wants to try again.

I'm planning a speed hike of my own of the LT starting Sept. 2. I don't think I'm in good enough shape to break the unsupported record of 6 days 17 hours but I'm going to start with 7 days worth of food and i've got daily mileage in mind that would bring me in just under the record if everything goes better than planned. more realistically I'll finish in 8-10 days. I'm training for an unsupported record attempt at the AT next year.

Slo-go'en
08-23-2014, 11:25
The worst spill I took on the LT E2E was somewhere between Bolton Mt and RT2. As my foot was heading for the green slim covered section of ledge, I knew I'd end up on my butt. Oh yea, it was raining at the time too.

Good luck on your hike Josh. The main problem you'll like have is the short days. Hiking by headlamp really slows you down. And watch that footing, especially at the end of the day.

Josh D
08-23-2014, 12:40
The worst spill I took on the LT E2E was somewhere between Bolton Mt and RT2. As my foot was heading for the green slim covered section of ledge, I knew I'd end up on my butt. Oh yea, it was raining at the time too.

Good luck on your hike Josh. The main problem you'll like have is the short days. Hiking by headlamp really slows you down. And watch that footing, especially at the end of the day.

Thanks! Yeah, ideally I would have 14 hours of daylight, but I wanted to give myself as much time to train as possible so there will be some headlamp hiking, which I have experience in from 100 mile races, enough experience to know that when the sun goes down so does my mood and my coordination!

double d
08-23-2014, 13:45
I always found it strange to be hiking on the LT/AT when someone would blow by me jogging with a water bottle in their hand in the middle of nowhere. But hey, do what you want, its all of our trail.

graydog
08-27-2014, 22:57
Hi Praha4 I am thinking of going on the pine cobble trail that starts in Williamstown up to Vt. for a over night but on google map I checked on parking not much there. Where can you leave your car? I'm new to hiking so I want to start off on one over night to get used to backpacking. By the way the nobo trail where does that start in Williamstown.
thanks

Just Bill
08-29-2014, 10:19
The LT can be treacherous.

Fixed it for ya!:D

Best of luck to you Josh!

Josh D
08-31-2014, 10:38
Thanks, Bill. I'll be posting updates on FB on nights when I have service. If you have any interest in following along you can send me a friend request. Facebook.com/joshdillingham

bigcranky
08-31-2014, 10:41
I'm interested, Josh, just sent you a request (from Ken Bennett).