PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit in the rain?

JJMorse
08-20-2014, 15:44
A few questions for those who have experience with this pack:

Does the material tend to hold water when it gets wet? Do you think there is an appreciable weight gain if you were to get this pack wet? Are there any spots (side pockets etc.) where water appreciably pools? Basically, do you think an external pack cover makes sense for this pack if everything is inside and waterproofed in another fashion?

How waterproof is the bag without using a pack liner or pack cover? Have you found that you can rely on the bag itself as a water barrier, assuming you close down the roll-top?

Over the course of a thru-hike would you expect enough holes and tears to develop where the bag itself as a water barrier is no longer effective?

I plan to experiment myself in the coming months, but am hoping to draw off others' past experiences. Thanks!

Mobius
08-20-2014, 15:53
Does the material tend to hold water when it gets wet?
Yes.

Do you think there is an appreciable weight gain if you were to get this pack wet?
I never weighed it dry vs wet to say if it's "appreciable".

Are there any spots (side pockets etc.) where water appreciably pools?
No. Side pockets have drainage at the bottom to prevent this.

Basically, do you think an external pack cover makes sense for this pack if everything is inside and waterproofed in another fashion?
Yes, but I prefer the "defense in depth" concept when it comes to keeping my stuff dry. I always use a compactor bag inside for my "must stay dry" gear. I use a silnylon pack cover outside when it's raining.

How waterproof is the bag without using a pack liner or pack cover?
It's not waterproof in my experience. A light drizzle no problem, but it'll soak through in a steady rain.

swjohnsey
08-20-2014, 16:27
A pack cover is a good idea. I like Z-packs cuben one, very light, very compact and pretty cheap.

Studlintsean
08-20-2014, 18:13
I have never used a pack cover with my circuit and have walked in lots of rain. The roll top helps mitigate the water entering the pack (pack is not water proof). I use a large trash bag for sleeping bag and camp clothes and have never had an issue.

CarlZ993
08-20-2014, 18:22
I used the Circuit on my thru-hike in 2013. I was very pleased w/ it. And it was a very wet year.

I used a 3-tier strategy to keep my stuff dry: 1) sleeping bag & clothing in lightweight roll-top dry bags; 2) trash compactor bag lining the pack (small stretch bungee cord to secure the top of the bag; folded over elephant snout closure); and, 3) a pack cover (to slow the rate that the pack & its contents inside get wet). Of the three, #3 is probably the least effective of the bunch.

Coffee
08-20-2014, 18:37
I have 1,000 miles on my Circuit and counting. I use a zpacks liner and cover. I guess I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy but the weight penalty of using a cover is minimal and the pack will gain water weight in a heavy storm without it. A pack liner of some sort is essential to keep sleeping gear dry. ULA will make a cuben circuit for a $100 surcharge... Maybe something to consider if funds are available.

Astro
08-21-2014, 22:05
I have the ULA Catalyst, but use the same approach as Mobius. ULA pack cover on outside and trash compactor bag on the inside. Works for me.

mudsocks
08-21-2014, 22:25
I have 1,000 miles on my Circuit and counting. I use a zpacks liner and cover. I guess I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy but the weight penalty of using a cover is minimal and the pack will gain water weight in a heavy storm without it. A pack liner of some sort is essential to keep sleeping gear dry. ULA will make a cuben circuit for a $100 surcharge... Maybe something to consider if funds are available.

How is the liner holding up? I am right to assume it's cuben coming from ZPacks?

12trysomething
08-21-2014, 22:32
I always used a pack cover with a pack liner (compactor bag). Recently I just switched to a Packa. Here is a quick video I did when unboxing it. Good luck!

http://youtu.be/W9EcF-3uQFY

Nooga
08-23-2014, 09:28
I have a Catalyst that I cannot keep the water out, even using a pack cover. I suspect that the water is entering the pack where the shoulder straps attach to the pack. ULA puts a waterproof bottom on their packs, which holds the water very nicely. I have considered putting grommets in the bottom to allow the water to drain out. Not sure if the Circuit is the same as the Catalyst.

Coffee
08-23-2014, 19:42
The cuben zpacks liner has worked well. I've had it about as long as the pack.

Cadenza
08-23-2014, 20:24
The cuben Packa fits the Circuit perfectly as a pack cover and/or rain jacket.
I put sleeping bag and/or down quilts and clothes in Sea-to-Summit roll top dry bags to make double-sure they don't get wet.
Only problem is I rarely ever use the Circuit.

I prefer a bigger pack and the Packa doesn't fit my Arc'teryx Altra 65.
So with that I use a conventional nylon pack cover and still dry bag the important stuff inside.

July
08-23-2014, 22:24
I have a Catalyst that I cannot keep the water out, even using a pack cover. I suspect that the water is entering the pack where the shoulder straps attach to the pack. ULA puts a waterproof bottom on their packs, which holds the water very nicely. I have considered putting grommets in the bottom to allow the water to drain out. Not sure if the Circuit is the same as the Catalyst.

You are exactly right. Sweat will not infiltrate through to any degree, however, consistent rainfall contacting any exposed parts of the pack will. Even with pac cover, rain on straps will soak. Always bag inside. Poncho, packa, large trashbag are all good, personal preference. Temperature would be the MAIN factor here. Inside pack always bagged, and in warm weather feels great to just walk in the rain.