PDA

View Full Version : Snow Peak vs TOAKS cookware

Bird Dawg
08-20-2014, 21:00
Can anyone provide any input into the distinctions between these two brands of titanium cookware? The weight specs appear to be close but the TOAKS items are generally less expensive than the Snow Peak products. :-?

Just Bill
08-20-2014, 23:04
:welcome

The only difference I am aware of is that Toaks uses a thinner sheet stock than Snow Peak or Evernew. As I don't have a micrometer I can't tell you one way or the other how much thinner. Not a metallurgist so can't really tell you much about any of the composition or grades of TI.

What I can say-
They are much cheaper, easy to get, well made- occasionally have better handles, and the stuff sack is light enough to actually use as is.
I own both brands- the last few purchases have all been Toaks- no complaints. Canister, Esbit, or plain old campfire they work fine. Esbit goo and soot comes off easy enough too.

Mainly water, tea, coffee, and soups for me regarding actually cooking in them. If you cook in them, you may want to use snow peak. But realistically- you don't want to cook in TI anyway. I can fry stuff with plenty of oil in a snow peak- not sure I'd go that far with the Toaks unless cooking directly on a bed of mellow coals with even heat.

As far as I'm concerned- unless you need one of the specific snow peak or Evernew setups for some reason- Toaks is the best option simply on cost. Every other feature is comparable or equal for me. They have enough selection on their site- but not every single exact pot size or combo the others have. Selection on Amazon is limited, but shipping rates are better or free with prime so I buy from there. Unlike Evernew- there are no shortages or backorder complaints thus far.

meat803
08-21-2014, 01:41
I own both and would recommend Toaks. Quality is equal in my opinion, so the tie breaker is price.

Franco
08-21-2014, 01:42
I suspect that all of the Toaks stuff comes from Kingsound Titanium (China) given that several of their pots are the same as the one sold by the factory under their Tibetan label.Kingsound were the maker of a lot of the lightweight pots sold in kits by various US"cottage" manufacturers (using different brands on them, including Backpackinglight)
I have the 550ml version (also sold as 500ml and 600ml ,same pot...) and that it is thinner than the 700ml Snowpeak but works just as well for boiling at least.
SnowPeak is made in Japan.

Bird Dawg
08-21-2014, 10:26
Thanks so much! Appreciate the input.